“good comfortable stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Dunedin, New Zealand
“good comfortable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

i have stayed here few times now and it has always worked out well for me. they provide free parking with accomodation thats a real bonus. Rooms are clean and staff is friendly . Its a old property and some renovation is required to make it upto date. The food in restaurant is nice and service was good. Overall good experience for the price we paid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I used this hotel for its park/fly availability. However, if time had permitted, when I left my car there before flying out for 10 days, I would have looked for another place. It's old, tired and rundown. It's in a good need of a complete re-do. The pavement/driveway is broken and untidy and reception area, hallways are dingy and tired. When I returned for my one night stay late at night, the first thing I did in my dingy room was to check the bed. Fortunately it was ok and clean. In fact, I was impressed with the quality of sheets, but the blanket and bedcover I was doubtful about. Old and unattractive and dare I say, looking worse for wear. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
hi,
We are happy to note that you liked our room and found the beds comfortable.
The hotel is undergoing renovations in a phased manner and your points will be looked into.
Regards
Ajay

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

You get what you pay for this place is close to the airport and this is what counts the staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean . If you arrive late or even go out at night don't count on finding somewhere to park. The walls are thin and you can hear next door but it doesn't stop you getting to sleep all in all I think it was worth the money I paid if you want the perfect place then pay top dollar.

Room Tip: Choose a room around the back like 145 its quieter away from the street
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed at this establishment looking for somewhere close to the airport,actually a previous review used my title NZ fawlty towers,the rooms very basic,the beds poor,the walls are paper thin a couple arrived next door around 11pm showered and i could hear their conversation .Also this place is advertised as park and fly so the carpark is lit up like daylight which is very hard to block out I believe I would have had a better sleep at the airport terminal,one other thing the mixer tap in my room was plumed back to front I thought at first I didn't have hot water,so don't waste money find other accomodation.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is one!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hi,
Your feed back is important to us and your points are noted for remedial action.
We are happy to note that you liked the location of the hotel.
The hotel is undergoing renovations in a phased manner.
Regards
Ajay
Hervey Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here before heading back to Australia in September 2013. Excellent 24hour shuttle service very helpful driver. Further out then 5minutes drive but ok. I stayed in ROOM 144 which although dated was large, great view looking over spa area and good sized fridge. The room does need to be updated but for the price it was suitable. The bathroom was dated but had a BATH which was fantastic & added touch of a skylight in the ceiling was good. Housekeeping could've been better but for one night much better then KIWI MOTEL for same price. If was not so cold would've sat outside the sliding door which leads into a garden courtyard area containing the spa/swimming pool. Wonderful reception staff especially the driver who was on duty that afternoon when I arrived (2pm). Very accommodating as wanted to go to Shopping Complex (TO BUY MARMITE @ COUNTDOWN) back at airport, told to get a taxi would be about $30 very expensive so driver offered to drop me off at shopping complex when they picked up people from the Airport I thought was wonderful, he phoned me when he was about to leave. DID NOT CHARGE ME as going that way anyway. When I was ready to come back I called Hotel they told me the time they would be coming in again and picked me up from Shopping Complex so I gave the driver a tip for doing that. All in all a good experience. Room had double and single bed, couple of lounge chairs, good size fridge and was quiet. I would stay here again, although I would request this room again as my sister stayed here a couple of weeks later and was not impressed with her room she was moved 3 times.

Room Tip: Stayed in ROOM 144 with bedding for 3 comfortably, quiet with bath and nice views over the courtyard...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hinae
Havelock North, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Airport Gateway Hotel is a very good place to doss down for the night if you have an early start or a late arrival. They took care of our car for four nights at no extra charge, and one complimentary breakfast was supplied with the room.
The shuttle service to and from the terminals was very good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The premises are old but reasonably clean. The staff are great as they all acknowledge you and when you are a regular they remember you. Don't like having to climb into a bath to have a shower and makes it dangerous for someone like me who has a joint problem and finds it difficult to get myself into the shower like this. These rooms also seem to be rather old and in desperate need of a make over. Rooms are rather dark and need brightening up. Shuttle service is always on offer and great.
I return on a regular basis as it is convenient and the staff are polite. They could increase the choice and amount of tea and coffee supplied. A couple of cups and you are done. I felt like they thought I was going to take them with me or something.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business