“Two visits - coming and going !”

Airport Gateway Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Having read many TA reviews on accommodation close to Auckland Airport, I booked well in advance, knowing the pros and cons of Airport Gateway.  Of course there is a whole range of experiences reviewed, but my priority was, a quick and free transfer from Auckland International airport, clean and comfortable rooms and a reasonable tariff.

Airport Gateway met these expectations.  The staff were efficient and friendly, the driver was a pleasant young man and  the room was clean and tidy.  I also ate in their restaurant on the night of my arrival and had  a pleasant meal.

Room 140 was well away from traffic noise on the main road, but had a refrigerator that needed servicing as it was somewhat "clunky' during the night.

On my return 10 days later, again a late night domestic arrival, but still a reasonably quick transfer.  This time Room 107, very close to reception, was again clean and tidy. The room had shower facilities designed for those with mobility difficulties. As it was a Friday night, with fewer other occupants, there was little "other guest" noise as they passed on their way to assigned rooms.  This may well be different on a busy night.

It really comes down to "horses for courses" in your travel decisions.  I could have chosen a more upmarket, and thus more expensive location, but the hours of sleep would have been the same.

Two nights with Gateway equated to one night somewhere upmarket.   The week night rate was more expensive, but was balanced out by the cheaper weekend rate.The old adage "You gets what you pay for !" is certainly true.  However I would still consider this property for my next "overnighter".

Room Tip: Gateway has a labyrinth of corridors, but there is a trolley in the foyer for luggage. The further...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I was uniquely surprised that the staff were all Indian men. Polite and helpful. Decor is probably 1980's, in need of some TLC and hoards of money for renovations. For the price and comfort, I thought it was clean and tidy, no fuss. Not the ritz by any means, but for $69, and two nights before flying international, I enjoyed my stay. Breakfast was no fuss simple continental and a cooked for an extra $5. I have stayed in many places. I am not fussed as long as staff are professional and polite, the place is clean and hygienic, I am happy. Thanks guys (Indian staff)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2013

we stayed in hotel for 3 days and the experiance was wonderful....we really loved staying there.. the staff cooperation and service made our trip very comfortable. rooms were nicly cleaned i would like to thank house keeping for that and we also had dinner there and it was fantastic..and last but not least the free airport shuttle service made our trip so easy and tesnion free...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Pros- Very near to Airport, Free transfers
Bus Stop very near to hotel which takes you to Downtown ( Main Auckland) bus no-334 and 328, gets back you to this hotel.
Very very supportive Staff, the manager Col Ajay helped us in literally everything.

Cons- Not a lavish hotel but is perfect for transit passengers.
Breakfast options can be more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2013

i have stayed here few times now and it has always worked out well for me. they provide free parking with accomodation thats a real bonus. Rooms are clean and staff is friendly . Its a old property and some renovation is required to make it upto date. The food in restaurant is nice and service was good. Overall good experience for the price we paid.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I used this hotel for its park/fly availability. However, if time had permitted, when I left my car there before flying out for 10 days, I would have looked for another place. It's old, tired and rundown. It's in a good need of a complete re-do. The pavement/driveway is broken and untidy and reception area, hallways are dingy and tired. When I returned for my one night stay late at night, the first thing I did in my dingy room was to check the bed. Fortunately it was ok and clean. In fact, I was impressed with the quality of sheets, but the blanket and bedcover I was doubtful about. Old and unattractive and dare I say, looking worse for wear. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

hi,
We are happy to note that you liked our room and found the beds comfortable.
The hotel is undergoing renovations in a phased manner and your points will be looked into.
Regards
Ajay

Reviewed 20 October 2013

You get what you pay for this place is close to the airport and this is what counts the staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean . If you arrive late or even go out at night don't count on finding somewhere to park. The walls are thin and you can hear next door but it doesn't stop you getting to sleep all in all I think it was worth the money I paid if you want the perfect place then pay top dollar.

Room Tip: Choose a room around the back like 145 its quieter away from the street
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple