“Rip off”

Airport Gateway Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Booked here for the night of the Rolling Stones Concert, that was unfortunately cancelled. I called the hotel to cancel my reservation 6 days prior to the arrival date, my cancellation was accepted but with a 10% cancellation which I grudgingly accepted, given the circumstances.
I was told that my credit card would be refunded with the difference. On receiving my statement I had been charged the full amount even though I gave 6 days notice. After calling the hotel I was asked to send an email, which I subsequently did, only to be told that because my original booking was made via Expedia, then I should have cancelled via them. There was no mention of this in my first telephone call to the hotel. I asked to speak to the Manager, but he was apparently overseas and there was no one else to pass on my complaint to. Another email from the hotel said they only accept telephone cancellations from people who have booked directly with the hotel and they was no recollection from anyone at the hotel that I had even phoned to cancel. Very disappointed with the lack of customer service and I only wish I had checked Tripadvisor before booking at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sparkyHamilton

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Can't be more surprised with the experience we had at this motel. Free airport shuttle (ask the info desk near McDondalds at the airport to use their free phone service to call), free laundry, free wifi, and great dinner recommendation around the corner. Yes, it is a basic motel but the staff were wonderful and being pleasantly surprised with no extra charges for services was a welcome change.

Room Tip: We had a lot of luggage so they gave us a room on the main floor so we didn't have to lug it aro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was our first base when we landed in New Zealand. We wanted somewhere close to the airport and we got it. Room's are standard and clean. Reception team unhelpful. Swimming pool badly looked after and the spa facilities non existent. If you want comfort don't go here, if you want a place to drop your stuff and explore then book it. Cheap and ... cheap but who wants to spend their holiday sat in a hotel room anyway!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nat_ld
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Don't try to save money by staying here. It is terrible. Demolition appears to be the best option. Our rooms were not clean. Had to take a sleeping pill just to get through the night. It was a terrible introduction to NZ which fortunately improved the farther away we got from the Gateway. I can't believe it passes inspections. Worst place we saw in NZ by far.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tigeralum
airportgh, General Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Hi,
I am sorry, I am not able to trace your booking and it is under which name. Your review looks suspicious to us and is misleading to our customers. There was no feed back also given to me with regards to your complaint and we have nothing on record.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here as it was a cheap overnight stay before continuing our journey from Auckland to Hong Kong. Didn't start well as due to some ' mix up' had an hours wait for shuttle from airport to hotel. No apology given on arrival at reception. Overall impression of the hotel was they were either awaiting demolition or for a substantial refurbishment. Decision of hotel next door had already been made as it was boarded up and didn't look good. To be fair the room we were allocated was adequate with clean sheets and towels but it felt grubby. There were laundry facilities which we made use of. Also the shuttle the next day went like clockwork. I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you were on a tight budget and even then I wouldn't.

Room Tip: Hotel located on a very busy road. Request room at rear for quiet night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevesyred

Hi,
We are happy to note that you liked the standard of linen and towels of our room. You also liked the shuttle drop off to the airport. Just to let you know that we are undergoing renovations in a phased manner and hope to finish it soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We arrived late so I was looking for a free shuttle and close proximity to the airport after a very long flight from Texas. The room was very outdated but clean sheets. The bathroom door had no lock and the tub surround was ancient and needed to be replaced. However, the water was hot and the towels clean. The shuttle driver was also the night clerk. He was very busy but very efficient and friendly. Breakfast was free but they ran out of clean coffee cups so I had to wait. Also the eating area floor was sticky.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I think the picture on Expedia are misleading. The room looked nothing like the picture. Worse it was dirty and moldy. There was black mold in the bathroom and on th carpet where clearly the shower leaked. The hot water in bathroom did not work. The bed was really hard and uncomfortable. Do not stay here if you are looking for a clean hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hi,
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are undergoing renovations in a phased manner and I am sure in your next visit you shall have a new room to yourself.