“Very very dated”

Airport Gateway Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Service was okay, but this hotel is beyond dated. The breakfast was extremely expensive but i would not have paid $5 for it! Luke warm tea and coffee, no spoons out. free car-parking for 14 days with the booking, but it was like driving your car into a tin can, very hard to get in and out of. The people owning it are trying to run a rental car business out of the same location which means there is not enough car parking left for the hotel patrons.

Just bad, will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived at the airport and called, lady answered and told us to just wait by door 4. Before I could say another word, phone was put down. The driver didn't even say hello or check if we were the correct people, the only reason we knew it was that bus was a little laminated sign. The check In women was so rude, fill in paper..money! No hello no welcome. They sent us the complete long way to our room, round what felt like thousands of corridors. We wanted to order room service, but $5 carry charge, food look up appealing anyhow. We order pizza! Breakfast.. Included... Don't bother there was no on in the breakfast room to greet for ten minutes, just toast, and jam that looked like it had been sitting there all week. We decided to get something on our onward flight. Do t waste your money here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Airport Gateway Hotel is not a hotel but really a motel close to Auckland International Airport. It is not that close to actually walk. They offer free shuttle service, which occurs after you call them. The van picks you up at the Departure Area, not at the Arrivals Gate. Service is very lackadaisical. Wifi is available but is not free. The room and bathroom were clean, however, there is evidence of shoddy restoration. The curtains were tattered. Continental breakfast was offered, but I did not even chance it. The return shuttle to the domestic airport was very laid-back (I was thinking delivery of the vegetables to the restaurant had a higher priority than shuttling passengers to the airport); everyone in the staff seems totally bored with it all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here overnight on the way home from Audtralia, and had paid 3 times the price for other hotelss in Australia which were not much better than this one! The staff were friendly, we got a complimentary shuttle both ways from the airport and a free breakfast! All for $79.00! The staff were friendly and the bed was clean, and we werent worried about anything other than that.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked into this hotel for one night prior to flying out to Cairns. Room was pretty average. Although we asked for a wake up call at 4a.m. it didn't happen. Fortunately we also set the alarm on our cell phone.
The reception staff were not welcoming at all, either going to returning. As there didn't seem to be many spare car parks we parked up and instead of going out to dinner we had dinner at the hotel. It was ok. Our shuttle to the airport was on time.
On our return we phoned for a pickup and it would have taken an hour and a half at least to get the pick up. My husband had to phone twice. When you get off the plane all you want to do is go home, in our case we had to drive back to Rotorua. We were not a bit impressed with the long delay and NOT much of an apology was given. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I am the type of person who will let a few things slide here and there as I am not a fussy person. But WOW! I was absolutely horrified with this motel.

Firstly, we arrived and the lady at reception checked my partner and I into room with 3 single beds. Did she expect us to sleep in a bed each? She took my card details, without explaining why, and she then tried to charge me on my card without asking how I would like to pay. I told her, no i want to pay cash. Which was fine at the time. This room was 80$. When we went back to reception telling her she had booked us the wrong room, she cancelled that booking. And I then booked online via booking.com as it was a bit cheaper and had breakfast included. That was all good and we went to our room.

Rooms were old and dirty and my sleep was very uncomfortable.

The next morning we went to get our complimentary breakfast, and there was only cereal, a bowel of peaches and toast. Thats it!! There was a bug floating around in the bowl of peaches too!

As we were eating breakfast I noticed that they had charged me on my card for the hotel room even though we paid in cash. We went to reception and the man basically told us he didn't believe us. I had to get my bank on the phone with him and then he finally said he will look into it. When I went back to reception to get my refund, he tried to say it was our fault because we booked on the phone AND via booking.com, which is not true at all.

The woman who checked us in double booked us, and the man kept telling us it was our fault. I am so disgusted in how this motel is being run, if you do not have any customer service skills or people skills, you should not be in the business!

Also, the pool and spa are in shocking condition. I cannot find one single thing positive about this motel.

They did not try and resolve our situation at all, no apologies, nothing!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lebrondavis
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Hotel is very near to the Auckland airport, most of the staffs were Indian and Fiji. Rooms were clean and big. I personally liked the location and staffs were very helpful since this was our first base when we landed in New Zealand and they helped in every possible way.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business