“Late for our flight because shuttle wasn't at the hotel on time”

Airport Gateway Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I emailed twice and also wrote to the manager because I had no response, guess what, no response from him either.......

My email said.... We stayed at your hotel last night and must let you know we were not impressed with the service we received from you. To begin with we were late in arriving to find your restaurant closed. That was okay but the choice of food was pretty basic. I realise your chef had gone home but at reception I asked if there was anything gluten free which was totally ignored and when we went into the food area we knew why, we asked there too and the man was totally unaware what gluten was and couldn't give us any help so my husband walked away with no dinner as there was nothing he could have, he wasn't even offered a salad and cold meat.

Then in the morning we came to reception at 6:10 for our ride to the airport to find a note saying BACK IN 20 MINUTES. We should have been leaving right then. Our ride eventually arrived but as we left at 6:25 were late for our flight and had to ay $100 each to rebook. As you can imagine we were not happy and because it was your error if you could help with that.
I am really disappointed you have to responded to my emails and letter, the second email was to inform I would write to the manager to see if his manners were better but to date, nothing. This has not been professionally handled and I feel that you just don't care or you would have apologised and given us our money as even when the bus did come the driver disappeared for a few minutes and the other attendant had to go outside and start the bus up for him. It is all their fault totally and it should be taken from their pay. We won't be staying with you again and I will tell our friends not to also as this has been a disgusting experience for us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I needed a place close to Auckland's International Airport that I could access easily for my early morning flight. There are numerous options but I chose this one because of:
* It being close to the airport;
* It was reasonably priced;
* It included free transfers between the airport and the hotel and v/v;
* It included a Continental Breakfast and it is possible to upgrade to a cooked breakfast for $5 pp;
* Wi fi is available at a modest additional cost.

It certainly fulfilled these expectations. The Reception Staff were pleasant, the Breakfast was adequate (although you have to go to Reception in the morning to collect it), and the hot water for the shower was great! Although the location may not be in the most celubrious suburbs of Auckland, yet It is close to such major hotels as Holiday Inn and The Grand Chancellor.

Within a few minutes walk there is a local shopping centre which includes a grocery, chemist, and two restaurants, as well as a Medical/Dental Centre

Although the hotel was clean, tidy, and comfortable, it is probably a good candidate for a make-over as several things made it look tired, such as the ill-fitting door in the corridor, the state of the concrete near the main entrance and between Reception and the rooms, and the general condition of the room I stayed in.

SKY TV is supposedly available but there were no instructions as to how to access the various channels. Also, one of the lights above the bed didn't work, and there was no toaster in the room to get the full benefit of the bread, butter, and spread included in the Continental Breakfast. (The $5 upgrade to a cooked breakfast is only available from 7am onward, well after the shuttle had taken myself and others to the airport for our early flights).

However these were relatively minor inconveniences and the traveller who is happy with 3 star accommodation should leave satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

It was great reading your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location close proximity to the airport,free shuttle and breakfast.
Your feedback is very genuine and gradually we are in the process of giving property a fresh look.
Once again thank you for your very kind comments review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Airport gateway hotel very soon.
Regards

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked this room at the last minute and paid just under $100 for it thinking it was good value for a mid 3-star establishment. My room (152) was worse then what I have paid for in a $20 backpackers overseas. The bathroom especially was in a state of disrepair even the shower head sprayed in all directions it was hard to get wet!!. Their were no Sky channels as was advertised and Wifi was paid for separately. I am usually quite easy to please when it comes to accommodation but this really was a bad experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank caromkelly
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Airport Gateway Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologies for not having met your expectations while staying with us. Your comments have most certainly been shared with our Director of Operations for review.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here just one night. The shuttle driver was incredible, helping us get exactly where we needed to go and really went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. All the staff were very friendly. The location is very close to the airport, not too hard to find with a car. Not much in walking distance, but could still get a coffee and basic groceries close by. Not really where you'd like to stay to see the city but great for a one night lay over on a budget. Rooms were large and comfortable. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Airport Gateway Hotel Auckland, we are delighted to have you with us and learn of your experience.

I will be sure to pass your comments onto our team who as I was will be equally pleased.

Best regards

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Comfortable hotel for 1 night stay during summer (Auckland summer!) with good affordable and next to Airport! In fact this region has a lot of Airport Hotel within different prices! The room are ok, services not that top but good!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for such amazing feedback & for taking the time to share your Gateway experience,
Airport Gateway Hotel is affordable and close to airport.We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us
Kind Regards
Manager.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Best in price stay. Awesome service and good people. We reached there almost 2am in the morning and got the free shuttle as well in 10 mins of placing the call. Very well welcomed. Surely, recommend to stay here. :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adeeblows

It is a pleasure to hear from you here at Airport Gateway Hotel Auckland, we are delighted to have you with us.
Once again thank you for your very kind comments review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Airport Gateway Hotel very soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 31 May 2014

As there are all types of budget for people I would still think carefully before booking here,and staying here.
First room we were put in should not even be allowed to rent out.
Badly needed up grading and new beds as well.
just had a grubby feel to it. TV picture was cloudy .

They moved us to a bit better room but noise from next rooms were pretty loud .
Do yourself a favour
Try holiday inn down the road better value for money.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disappointed with your room on this occasion.
I would very much like to ensure that on your future stays with us you won’t be disappointed.
Subhash Chaturvedi