“Cold night”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Napier, New Zealand
“Cold night”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Cold room inadequate blankets on beds, pillows terrible, surprisingly bed was comfortable. breakfast!!!!!! no cook dodgy toaster not even plugged in and very stingy with choice. Staff friendly enough.

Room Tip: avoid at all cost pay the extra $10 and stay at Ibis
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonnie936
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
We appreciate your feedback about your recent stay. I’m glad to hear that our
staff were helpful to you, but I apologies that some aspects of your stay did not
meet your expectations. Please try our air conditioned room on your next stay and you will be more comfortable.
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is cheap so don't expect great things. It is outdated and needs some serious work. We were booked into a room with a queen sized bed and 2 single beds only to find that one of the single beds was a roll away.
When pulling the bedding back for bed, I was pretty disgusted to find a stained bottom sheet. This was replaced, but I had to remake the bed. On doing this I found a terribly stained mattress protector which I whipped off the bed.
The unit had 2 TVs. An old one which didn't work and an LCD. It also had 2 air conditioning units. One very old broken one, still on the wall and another quite modern one.
Will I stay here again. No!!! Not even for the free parking whilst overseas.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, find a back packers.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ngahuia n
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
We really appreciate your honest feedback, which allows us to improve our service to our guests. We would appreciate discussing your experience further with you, please contact me on manager@airportgatewayhotel.co.nz as I would like to talk to you to allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and service.
Manager

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Once again whilst on my travels for Business I booked a Transit room. (Short stay for a few hours). These rooms a fantastic when you are between flight and simply need somewhere to rest, have a shower and a relaxing coffee while watching some TV.
I was so impressed this visit to see the room had been updated. There was almost a new bathroom. The old shower had been replaced and the horrible old vanity unit was replaced. The bathroom had a completely modern look and also looked far cleaner because of this. Well don Management, I was impressed and hope you are doing all your rooms up as some of the old décor was not looking very clean or hygienic.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for such amazing feedback & for taking the time to share your Gateway experience, we are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will be sure to pass your comments onto our team who as I was will be equally pleased.
Once again thank you for your very kind comments review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Airport gateway hotel very soon.
Hawkes Bay
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We chose this hotel as it offered free parking while we flew out for 8 days. The shuttle service to and from the airport was great as was the hassle free parking. The rooms however were very basic and very cold... Having one electric blanket out of four beds, most of us froze! We did ask for more electric/blankets but the best they could do was give us an extra heater which only worked when you held it...I would only stay again in the summer for the benefit of parking....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Airport Gateway Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations while staying with us.
We look forward to offering you a more satisfactory experience if you choose to visit us again.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed one night before an early morning flight out and left our cars to be picked up upon return.
Very basic rooms but then again it is cheap. Very cold with a small oil heater that only just took the chill off. Bathroom passable. The whole building is out-dated and shabby with minimal sound proofing between rooms and hallways! I wouldn't even consider eating here.
Drop offs to the airport only happen on the hour so keep this in mind.
We arrived back on a midnight flight. It took 30-45mins after our ph call before we were picked up. The driver was apologetic and admitted he was also the receptionist and had been delayed with front desk duties.
He also wasn't aware that we were there for car collection only and thought we were checking in. We had to find our own cars (in the rain) and we found one (parked in) but car #2 was nowhere on the premises. We insisted that the manager be contacted only to be told he was asleep.
After numerous phone calls by the driver/receptionist we were advised that we could stay a night no charge until our car could be found take a staff members car (to Hamilton). We declined.
Eventually our car was located at another hotel car park but all gates and reception were locked!
We persisted they produced the vehicle. After almost 2 hours we left.
We did feel for the guy on duty as obviously he wasn't the problem. This place desperately needs lessons from The Hotel Inspector as it is the most poorly managed place I have ever come across and I get the impression it is owned/managed by someone who doesn't have a single clue about the industry.
Shocking. Not recommended. Ever.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lucilou73
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Airport Gateway Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologies for not having met your expectations while staying with us.
I am sincerely sorry that the service you experienced was not our usual standard and i would like to ensure that on your future stay with us you wont be disappointed.
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I emailed twice and also wrote to the manager because I had no response, guess what, no response from him either.......

My email said.... We stayed at your hotel last night and must let you know we were not impressed with the service we received from you. To begin with we were late in arriving to find your restaurant closed. That was okay but the choice of food was pretty basic. I realise your chef had gone home but at reception I asked if there was anything gluten free which was totally ignored and when we went into the food area we knew why, we asked there too and the man was totally unaware what gluten was and couldn't give us any help so my husband walked away with no dinner as there was nothing he could have, he wasn't even offered a salad and cold meat.

Then in the morning we came to reception at 6:10 for our ride to the airport to find a note saying BACK IN 20 MINUTES. We should have been leaving right then. Our ride eventually arrived but as we left at 6:25 were late for our flight and had to ay $100 each to rebook. As you can imagine we were not happy and because it was your error if you could help with that.
I am really disappointed you have to responded to my emails and letter, the second email was to inform I would write to the manager to see if his manners were better but to date, nothing. This has not been professionally handled and I feel that you just don't care or you would have apologised and given us our money as even when the bus did come the driver disappeared for a few minutes and the other attendant had to go outside and start the bus up for him. It is all their fault totally and it should be taken from their pay. We won't be staying with you again and I will tell our friends not to also as this has been a disgusting experience for us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I needed a place close to Auckland's International Airport that I could access easily for my early morning flight. There are numerous options but I chose this one because of:
* It being close to the airport;
* It was reasonably priced;
* It included free transfers between the airport and the hotel and v/v;
* It included a Continental Breakfast and it is possible to upgrade to a cooked breakfast for $5 pp;
* Wi fi is available at a modest additional cost.

It certainly fulfilled these expectations. The Reception Staff were pleasant, the Breakfast was adequate (although you have to go to Reception in the morning to collect it), and the hot water for the shower was great! Although the location may not be in the most celubrious suburbs of Auckland, yet It is close to such major hotels as Holiday Inn and The Grand Chancellor.

Within a few minutes walk there is a local shopping centre which includes a grocery, chemist, and two restaurants, as well as a Medical/Dental Centre

Although the hotel was clean, tidy, and comfortable, it is probably a good candidate for a make-over as several things made it look tired, such as the ill-fitting door in the corridor, the state of the concrete near the main entrance and between Reception and the rooms, and the general condition of the room I stayed in.

SKY TV is supposedly available but there were no instructions as to how to access the various channels. Also, one of the lights above the bed didn't work, and there was no toaster in the room to get the full benefit of the bread, butter, and spread included in the Continental Breakfast. (The $5 upgrade to a cooked breakfast is only available from 7am onward, well after the shuttle had taken myself and others to the airport for our early flights).

However these were relatively minor inconveniences and the traveller who is happy with 3 star accommodation should leave satisfied.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
airportgh, Manager at Airport Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
It was great reading your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location close proximity to the airport,free shuttle and breakfast.
Your feedback is very genuine and gradually we are in the process of giving property a fresh look.