“An unexpected gem”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Perth, Australia
“An unexpected gem”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I couldn't have been happier with my stay at the HI Auckland Airport. I always book 5 star, so if I'm honest, I was expecting a bit of a let down. I made the booking for convenience only, but I was so pleasantly surprised! My 3 nights at the HI came at the end of a month-long stay in Cook Islands and Tahiti, and I honestly preferred my stay here over the Intercontinental Tahiti which cost an arm and a leg. I booked a tower suite, which cost a little more, but was worth every cent. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the shuttle bus was really handy, cheap and on time. The bed was unbelievably comfortable, and the room was really well layed out. When my room service took 20 mins, I received an apology for the late delivery and received my drink free. I will certainly stay there again on my next trip to NZ. Good work guys

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Midlands
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Stayed here twice during our north island trip. The girl who booked us in the 1st time was the happiest person in her job you could wish to meet, wish I knew her name, room was fine, went to buy a drink at 3.55 and they could have excepted the order, but was told to go to the other bar as happy hour was starting. 2nd time check in not as friendly but fine, went to bar and ordered glass of wine 8 dollars, they didnot have it so offered alternative, we accepted only realising later that the alternative was 12 dollars, other options available. transfer to and from airport good.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I only booked this hotel becaquse of my Priority Club membership and it was double what I would have paid at the Grand Chancellor (where I have previously stayed) but thought I would increase my status. MISTAKE! From the checkin to the checkout was a nightmare. Waited over an hour to checkin and the staff were rude. Went for coffee in the lounge that night and same thing The room was desperate for a renovation. My stay at this hotel caused me to cancel my 10 nights booked at other IC properties in the US for my March travels as I just could not bear to experience that awful service again. I will not be staying at an IC propert again anytime soon anmd in fact for my April trip have booked the Grand Chancellor again. Half the price and no worse than the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Oztravels7
GMHIAA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this review, 17 April 2011
Dear Oztravels7,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided for your recent stay with us. We have discussed your comments with the concerned department regarding your check in experience and they have investigated on the matter. We apologise for the inconvenience we have caused you and this is certainly not in line with the standards of our hotel. Please be assured that actions have been taken to ensure that this does not happen again.

Please contact us if you wish to further discuss this matter. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
India
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We stayed at this HI twice during our trip to New Zealand, as we arrived and as we left.

We got the hotels pick up bus from the airport, charge $10 per person, which I do think is unwarranted. You pay for this at reception and get a receipt to get back on the bus

We arrived late and quite tired from a long flight and were looking to have a drink in the bar then a good night’s rest before picking out car up the next day.

No upgrade give for Platinum members (could of been full) but really were not bothered, all we wanted was a drink then a good sleep.

Check in quick and a nice welcome. Room on the ground floor, fine good size, good King bed with the pillow menu all the usual, nothing special, modern clean. Very small bathroom.

Went to the bar which was pleasant and quite busy couple of drinks then back to the room. Staff in the bar were friendly and chatty.

Wish I could say we had a pleasant night sleep, but alas no.....I understand as it’s an airport hotel people are coming and going at all times but this was ridiculous. The design of the hotel is as such the doors bang and its heard all along the corridor. After nodding off about 4 am, then the service room sprang into action. Staff had no consideration for sleeping guests and the door was constantly left to slam against the lock, and having chats outside the room and generally not caring what noise they made with trolleys and god knows what else.

Needless to say we were shattered the next day. Did not want b/fast and got the car hire company to pick us up and take us to get our car, thus saving $20 paying for the bus back to the airport. Mentioned the noise to staff on check out and they did apologise.

We wanted to change our return booking, but as it was already paid for had to stick with it.

I have given the hotel a poor rating due to the sleep factor, or rather lack of it

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Englandsscout
Dear Scotlandscout

Customer feedback is very valuable for us, thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel. Please be aware that we have investigated on the matter and have thoroughly discussed this with the Department manager and the staff member. We give high importance to avoiding noise in each guest room and we are very disappointed that this has happened. Please accept our sincerest apologies. Please contact us in private to discuss this further. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stuck our first problem when making the initial booking on the internet. The Holiday Inn website boasts to be the cheapest price on the Internet. We found a cheaper price for comparable booking on Wotif .com and when we tried to arrange a similar price at the Holiday Inn we were told that in order to get the cheaper price we had to make a commitment to book at the Holiday Inn and then go back through the overseas guarantee site, wait on the phone whilst the cheaper price is checked and then await a confirmation email prior to day of arrival. I am a supposed Priority Rewards / Frequent user member. When the confirmation email arrived it contained telephone numbers applicable to some other country and not available in NZ should we have a problem. I acknowledge that Holiday Inn has a central world wide booking system but it is not customer friendly. When we arrived our booking at the hotel was for one person but our onlibne booking was for two. The difference was quickly rectified.
Getting to the hotel the layout of this hotel is looking tired and drab. It could do with a freshen up and improved lighting. The room we had was satisfactory, clean and tidy and met our needs. We had breakfast included as part of our package and it was a typical cooked buffet hotel breakfast which we couldnt falter.
The staff: The staff throughout our stay were very good ambassadors for the hotel. All were friendly, helpful and very professional. Whatever we wanted was attended to in a very cheerful manner and immediately. It was interesting to observe that ALL the staff we met were new New Zealanders generally of Asian extraction. I cant help but remark that this seems to becoming the norm.
This hotel makes a charge for car parking which I think is a little petty considering nearly all the other hotels in the area provide free parking and in some cases up to 14 days for a one night stay.
Would I stay again at the hotel yes I would but I would probably leave my booking to the last moment as the prices dropped comsiderably the closer the arrival date appeared.

Dear Beanb41

Thank you for highlighting your experience with regards to booking a room with our hotel.
Are you able to please give us further details with regards to your reservation?. Our website does offer the best price on the internet but in this instance, we would like to investigate further. We look forward to your reply.
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We stopped in here after a family wedding to rest before an early morning flight. We loved the room; beautiful and a surprise in contrast to the aged exterior. We ordered room service and well and truly felt relaxed!

A little pricey but if we had time to book we could have found it cheaper.

1 Thank andiegonewalkabout
Singapore
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We took a shuttle to the hotel from the airport, which was a short 15 mins ride.
The hotel is nice and clean, well to the standards of Holiday Inn.
Ground floor room, which I found quite comfortable. Only, even though I had mentioned it's a honeymoon couple, the room was still a twin bed. But thankfully, the beds are large enough to fit two people

would recommend (3.5 out of 5) if you need a place to stay close to airport and outside city