“Always my airport hotel of choice”

Holiday Inn Auckland Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Have stayed at Holiday Inn Auckland numerous times over the years and it remains my airport hotel of choice and if I am staying in Sth Auckland for the following reasons.
Clean - always perfect
Comfortable - always comfy beds - always and Pillows!!!
Tea and coffee making facilities
Free parking
Bath :-)
Service is always pleasant and you can get very good value for money through advance booking or special agencies like WOTIF.
It is a little tired and could do with a refurb but comfort and cleanliness remain!

Room Tip: Never had a bad one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank latabi
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Auckland Airport

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel since it was advertised as being an airport hotel: it isn't and it cost us over $35.00 to get a cab to the hotel from the airport. That said, there is a $6.00 bus that we took the next day and this was great value but hard to find when you first arrive at the airport. Our room was clean and looking on to a courtyard, but was noisy since there was a very large party in the hotel who were running around and overflowing from their courtyard and around the restaurant and common areas (large round tables everywhere and people coming into the restaurant to eat their food from their buffet and disturbing others). They made walking to the room very difficult amongst the revelers, and also caused unnecessary noise during the night in the corridors. When you have to be up early for a plane this is not acceptable We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be excellent - which we told the chef. Good choices and well cooked and presented. However, we had to ask for our bill several times but the waitress seemed far to busy talking to the couple at the next table and barely acknowledge us. This may have been some local "celeb" but that does not mean that other guests are ignored. In the end I had to go to the desk and ask for my bill. This did not make for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try not to book when there is a conference because you, as a paying guest, will get poor service.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan S, Ryan - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hi Skippy,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Auckland Airport both here on Tripadvisor and at IHG.com.

I apologise that your stay was less than perfect and I have shared your feedback with the team.

You are right that we are not walking distance from the airport but we are short shuttle bus ride (4 kilometres) not unlike many airport hotels worldwide. We aim to be as transparent as possible regarding the shuttle bus. There is considerable detail available at our website and with reservation confirmations. I can share with you that the Sales team and I continue to work with Auckland Airport to improve hotel shuttle bus signage at the terminal.

I apologise again for the cost of the taxi, Auckland Airport has an arrangement with the taxi companies which dictates a minimum fee of $35 for airport pick ups regardless of distance traveled.

With regard to the event on that Friday evening. The violent thunder storm that rolled through Auckland forced us to use some common areas as a wet weather alternative between 6pm and 7pm until the storm passed and the event finished entirely at 9pm. It was unusual circumstances and I am sorry if the event interfered with Vapor Restaurant ambiance.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and I do hope you had a safe and comfortable flight back to the UK.

Ryan

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Only two seriously annoying downsides...#1 -- The yellow bus to the property -- literally the only way to get there as it is 3-4 kms from AKL -- charges $6 pp each way -- so ADD an extra $24 to your overnight stay. Simply -- annoying! NEVER in my history of having to overnight at an airport hotel has there NOT been a bus to take me there. After all -- I'm a paying customer at the hotel.

#2 the hotel Internet absolutely sucks...I tried to log on multiple times and could not get a signal to say for more than a minute -- the wifi kept crapping out. Perhaps they can fix this.

Otherwise, it's one of the best kept properties off-site and the front desk staff is really nice.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the function facilities on a Friday or Saturday night
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Recently renovated and had a nice atmosphere.Evening meal in restaurant was nice with friendly chef.The porter followed me out to the car and brought our bag in without even being asked!
Quiet for sleeping.Good idea to have a sign asking guests to consider each other

Room Tip: We paid in advance which helped
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I cannot believe that the last reviewer and i went to the same hotel. We had a good stay there with everything spotlessly clean. The only negative comment we can make is that the shuttle bus driver was unbelievably rude to my husband when he came in the day after I arrived. I had lunch there the one day of our two day stay, and the hot dish was piping hot and lovely with the salad crisp and beautiful. The staff was great, helpful and pleasant. I would return and recommend.

Room Tip: I don't know.;our room faced the parking lot, but there were lovely trees on the other side. No...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle C
Ryan S, Ryan - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Auckland Airport.
I do apologise that your experience with The Big Yellow Bus was less than satisfactory. If you could contact me at dm.hiaucklandairport@ihg.com to provide a little more detail it would be most appreciated. The Big Yellow Bus is a third party airport shuttle servicing the airport precinct but the service should mirror the service of Holiday Inn Auckland Airport.
It was on the other hand very nice to read how much you enjoyed everything about your stay. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed 9/3/2014. Room was small stains on carpet and couch. Dirty towels. Dirty glasses. External noise loud, wall paper thin. We stayed again 24/3/2014 stay improved. Only chose location but still expect better.

Hi,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your first stay but I am delighted that we redeemed ourselves on your second visit.
I do apologise that the first night was not ideal and I would normally respectfully request that you allow us to make it up to you with another visit but it appears you have already allowed us to make good on our hospitality promise.
Thank you again for the review and a second chance. I will be sure to follow up your feedback with Housekeeping.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We arrived in Auckland at midnight after a long haul flight and had booked the Holiday Inn for the night before flying down to Christchurch the next afternoon to start our holiday. We had hoped to get the shuttle bus which served the hotels but it was every half hour and we couldn't find a timetable. In the end I approached a taxi service called Supershuttle which takes groups of people and he dropped us off for $20. When leaving the hotel we got the $6 ahead bus no problem.

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by very friendly staff who checked us in quickly and helped us with our luggage. The hotel is a warren and there is no lift. Our room was big, clean and comfortable. After a good nights sleep we had a lovely buffet breakfast, where I had a very tasty Eggs Benedict cooked to order. After a wander we had an hour by the pool. Amazing to find a pool so close to the airport and city. We had late checkout and left early afternoon refreshed to continue our journey. The hotel is not on the airport, but it is right next to the camper van depot which would be very convenient for anyone picking up or dropping off their Britz/Maui van.

2  Thank LW54
Ryan S, Ryan - General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Hi,
Thank you for reviewing the Holiday Inn Auckland Airport. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities suited your needs perfectly. The Eggs Benedict made to order are one of my favourites too, I also love the chocolate banana pancakes.
I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your journey and your stay in New Zealand. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Auckland.