“Avoid like the plague. Unless you take a cab.”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Reviewed 19 September 2013

First of all we had NO idea there was a separate bus/van for transportation to this hotel. After standing out in front of the terminal asking every bus if they went to this hotel and then seeing some of them come around again we decided to go in to the I-site to see if we could get a phone number for the hotel. I had made the reservation from my tablet so no way to print anything out, and I had not thought to write down a phone number, since I had not perceived a problem. Stupid on my part !
Saw a notice for them on the wall of the I-site, it turned out you had to CALL them first to get a pick up. It would have been nice for this information to be on their site or on the email confirming my reservation. I had booked through an agent but still the info could have been on there. Anyway, when I called the two digit number, which can only be called from the free phone in the I-site, they said 20 minutes and where to wait. We walked all the way back to the other end of the terminal and outside to pick up point. (well away from the regular shuttle buses) After half an hour I was getting annoyed no one had come. So went back in and called again, was told 5 minutes this time. Went back to the pick up point, another half hour goes by and still no one. Went back called again and lost it, I told them to cancel my booking we would go elsewhere. The woman on the phone did not bother to inform me I was going to be still be charged for the two nights I had booked.
Even though we were only staying over by 6 hrs after check out time the next day, I had to pay for a second night. IF she had told me this I would have taken a cab to the hotel as I was tired of standing (no place to sit) and it had been 1 1/2 hours by this time after arriving at the terminal.
I booked the Ibis, got on the bus no fuss no muss. However, when I called booking.com to tell them I had cancelled, they called the Kiwi Motel. When they got back to me was when I found out that they were still charging me. Apparently they had already charged my card almost a week before the date of our arrival. After several phone calls back and forth they said they would only charge me for one night. I am still going to contest the charges with my bank. All they had to do was tell me when I called to say I was tired of waiting and wanted to cancel that I would still be charged that would have been fine and I would have taken a cab. Better yet would have been to let people know what the procedure was to procure a ride from the airport and then to show up !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank SoCalexpat
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Guest
Thanks for your comment on our service whereas you choose not to enjoy our hospitality.
We take pride in the way we conduct business and in the service and products Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel provides. We have been clear, honest and detailed in regards of our product and service information and policy.
I did an investigation on this and found that you had been informed about our shuttle pick up wherein our shuttle driver went three times to pick you up but you did not turn up at the designated pick up area. For your information, our driver picked 5 guest while he was looking for you.
Airport authority had designated areas in airport for hotels pickup and drop off which can be easily located.
Our shuttle cannot park at any other places as the airport authority will charged hundreds of dollars for this offense.
Our cancellation policy is written on our website and had been provided along with your booking confirmation which was not followed by you.
You were luck as we haven’t charged for second night accordingly to the booking policy on which Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel will be paying commission to Booking.com.

I recommend you please always look hotels booking policy if you are booking through third party agents.

With Regards
Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Adequate for a one night stopover. Cleaner could have spent 5 more minutes to wipe fridge door and cupboard handles etc, but otherwise clean and comfortable.
Only stayed to catch a early flight so suited us for this purpose.

• Stayed: September 2013
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear TeresaB8

I thank you for taking your precious time to share the experience during your recent stay with us.

We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that my housekeeper did not clean cupboard and fridge as per your expectation which is a concern to me.

We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Feedback really is a great driver in ensuring we as a property can keep striving to the high standards we have.

Look forward to welcome you again on your next visit to Auckland.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The service was excellent
room very clean had everything we needed
Staff was accommodating and helpful stayed twice during our trip.
Would recommend
Good distance from airport
Pick up service from airport, excellent
Drop off to airport, excellent

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Aggie W

We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great price and Airport location.

We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Take care and I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Auckland.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here the night before we flew to Rarotonga. They kept our car for the 11 nights we were away. All good with the car which was kept in their carpark. A great place to spend a night. Clean and tidy. Wouldnt recommend the cooked breakfast in the morning, took too long and we had to leave most of it as our shuttle was waiting for us to go to the airport. On our return to NZ they did pick us up at the airport after some half hour wait.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Swissmaid51

Thanks for your comment on your recent stay with us.
We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience specially the clean room and our free airport shuttle service.
Its very frustrating that you comment on restaurant service wherein Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel does not have restaurant so please have your facts correct before placing comment on any site.

I request to Trip Adviser to screen the comments before putting on site and much appreciated if this comment is taken out.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Even at 01.00 am if you call them ( have their phone handy) they come and pick you up at the gate nr 4 of the international arrivals. check in /check out fast and hasle free. rooms big and all the amenities. Breakfast nothing special bu the basics are there . Good price for an overnight. Recommended

Room Tip: go first to the reception to pick your key and then your luggage from the van
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear BIZAS,

Thanks for taking out your precious time and comment on your recent stay with us.

We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great price, Free Airport Pick up and Drop off – there are no Motel near Auckland Airport that can match what we offer with complimentary breakfast and Free Wi-Fi.

Take care and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed at this place before we left to go to Australia in March this year. The bed was comfortable, but I searched the linen before we slept because the room it self was dirty. The bathroom had holes in the walls big as a saucer taped up with clear tape, it had several holes in the walls,we were not impressed. The hair dryer did not reach to the mirror. The walls and skirtings were dirty. The old Tv was just that very blurred, we could not watch it. We were woken at five in the morning by people out side, smoking.and drinking and loud.How ever the shuttle service was on time and no complaints. We were not impressed with the photos that they show as they show great units and it is not at all anything like that. We were not able to be shifted so they said. We think they should smarten up their act and service. We were not at all impressed.The rating they show is not appropriate. Pam W.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pam W
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Pam,

Thanks for taking out your precious time to comment on your recent stay with us.

You had raised housekeeping issues which is a concern to me wherein I did a thorough investigation and found that before your arrival a group of university student from south island was staying continuously for 5 days and did lots of damage to our property wherein our housekeeper overlooked some of the cleaning.

Due to our lack of availability, the reservation had given you that room without having renovation done. This is totally not accepted by our management and instructed staff not to do this again.

However the room had been renovated in early April.

Please accept my apology for your experience and look forward to welcome back you again in our motel on your next stay with us.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The free airport shuttle was good; the dinner in the restaurant was quick and okay; the staff were friendly; the location was close to the airport.

When in the restaurant we saw that the waiter sprayed the tables when people left, but the cutlery etc were not removed when this was done, so the spray would have landed on everything left on the table (not hygienic and very bad habit); the shuttle was late in picking us up from the airport; the hotel is in bad need of updating and better cleaning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MacDutch
Shalend P, General Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear MacDutch,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us.
The housekeeping issue which you raised is a major concern to me. You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our housekeeping standards – we invest a lot of time in training and hiring to ensure we have the most capable team.

I have addressed your concerns with our Head House Keeper and will follow up personally to understand what we can do better as a property. It is disappointing to hear that our service did not work, as it should have. It would be helpful in rectifying the problem for future guests if you could provide me with your room number. My email is – shalend@vrgroup.co.nz