Airport Skyway Lodge
US$90
US$114
Agoda.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 May 2013

My sister and I spent the first night of our 2-week NZ trip here at Skyway Lodge. We couldn't have asked for a better start!

Scott and Miki are easy-going, gracious hosts and it felt like they were welcoming us into their home. We hadn't arranged for shuttle service beforehand, but Scott picked us up quickly from the airport with just a phone call. He helped us form the day's itinerary--seeing downtown Auckland with all the proper bus/ferry routes, a map, SIM card, etc. and let us lock up our packs at the Lodge since it was early AM.

Upon return, the en suite room they gave us was huge with a double and a twin bed. Very clean, the beds were comfortable, and we enjoyed the in-room tea. Even with the windows opened a bit during the night, it was quiet. Early the next morning, Scott got us back to the airport for our jump to Queenstown.

For the rest of our trip, we stayed in YHA's and a couple independent backpackers. We thought Skyway Lodge was tops in terms of value and friendliness. Thank you for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WhiteGreyBlack
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The best part of this brief one night stay prior to flying out of Auckland airport was the hotel manager/?owner Scott who was very obliging picking up and dropping you off at the airport and giving advice. The hotel (hostel) had a good clean kitchen and decent beds. The bathroom and showers are in two small cubicles and could foresee lineups during the busy mornings. All in all Ok place to stay.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank knj77
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I had a very wonderful trip in New Zealand during Jan 08-22, 2013 with my friend. Auckland was the last stop of this trip, then fly back to Gold Coast Australia in the very early morning on Jan 23, so we decided to stay at this backpacker as they are the only backpacker near the airport.

It was my worst backpacker experience in New Zealand and Australia, their facilities is normal, but the service is poor, the staff wasn't friendly, the lady staff was so impolite and impatient, and rude. The lady was asking me and my friend to pay the room charges upon check in, but my friend remembers that she provided all credit card detail when she booked the room, so we said we need to double check and my frd was checking the confirmation email on her phone, then the check in lady was long face then showed us a copy of email which it's not belong to us, and said "see, we didn't charge anything from the credit card, all detail is only for guarantee purpose, your country people is not trust on other people" This is an insult, then we had a small fight on this, anyway we paid without checking and went out right away, as we didn't wanna stay longer at the desk with her.

My trip was ruined! I will not recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Purplesara
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Hi Im a Korean traveller. On 2nd march. I stayed in skyway for a night. It was a great time to stay.
It is so close to the airport that I could reach there easily.
Also it has safe and convenient pickup service.
In newzealand i used 24 hostels for a month.
I think the skyway is one of the best and comfortable hostels in my memory.
If are there anyone consider stay here, I recommend Skyway lodge strongly.
Happy and safe stay.
Thank you for the good memory. Skyway and Scott who is a owner.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 21 February 2013

In an old motel opposite the cemetery on Kirkbride Rd, a street of resuscitated motels, Skyway Lodge is barely hanging in there.
The backpacker market in the vicinity of the airport is poorly serviced and this hostel is obviously exploiting that lack. No effort appears to have been made to give value for money - it is extremely overpriced and very shabby - if its history were made a feature it could be a charming 50s -style lodging house but as it is the fact that the beds, remaining fixtures and fittings and even the linen look original just spells mean and exploitative.
I paid $63. for a single room (with 2 single beds) with no light fitting, no fan or heating and an empty fire-alarm holder. The linen was thin and the walls (also thin) sported a slap-dash coat of paint.The carpet needed cleaning (and vacuuming under the beds!) For this price I got to share one of several shower/toilet rooms which again were sub-standard though clean. Even with 2 people sharing the room would be worth at most half what I paid.
The communal kichen was basic but the lounge/dining room appeared cosy.
The efficient and friendly shuttle to/from the airport is $5 each way, however considering the inflated cost of this accomodation transport should have been included.
Ten minutes walk up the road is a small shopping centre with a small poorly-stocked supermarket, a bakery and two restaurants which are good but pricey.
If overnighting in Auckland be organised and book early to get a good deal elsewhere. For this money it is possible to get a room with bath, possibly breakfast and FREE shuttle in a 3 or 4 star hotel close to the aiport. Otherwise travel into Auckland to one of the better hostels - even with the cost of the commute you'll save AND be more comfortable.
Not recommended.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo