“Great Prices”

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great Prices”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Everything was great, including prices, location and rooms. There is awesome service.
I rate it highly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank BradleyW981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Lets face it, it's an older Motel that hasn't been maintained well. Rating a Motel should surely been done in comparison with other Motels etc in the price range. So look at it for what it is. I have stayed here a few times over the years mainly because of its location near Auckland Airport.
The new Manager, David, has done wonders for the place. I have stayed in a few of the Units and some I know have been painted and there are different bedspreads and curtains.
I used the pool there and thought it was fine, the gardens are great too.
I have always parked my car there and never been broken in to.
For the price that you pay this place is a good deal. I will keep going there.

Room Tip: David will help you
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank JasonfromTauranga
Adelaide
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed one night before an early flight out. Older motel and very noisy with street traffic and a sensor light going on all night. It is right by the airport with a free shuttle, friendly manager, movie channels and elect blankets. Would be good to use as a day room.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are a good sleeper
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AdelaideJulie

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I am the manager of Airport Gold Star motel and while everone is entitled to an opinion, I really need to answer the review of the couple whose car was vandalised. In my time here [at that point just on a year ] no other car had been broken into. We have no signs around the motel advertising 24 hour survaliance.I did point this out to them but for some reason they obviously think they saw them.
Mangere is like any other suburb in any town in the western world - safe but for a minority of idiots who create opportunistic crime. Where their car was parked was directly under a security light and very visible to passing traffic and, one would think, the last place these idiots would target a vehicle.
I work very hard with the Housekeeper to follow the cleaning rosta that I created and have confidence in her. True, the units are spacious and do need to be up dated but I certainly stand by my choice of new curtains and bedspreads and painted all the studio units main area last year so they have a very fresh appearance. I am very pleased to read that I get great personal reviews and I am committed for the rest of my time here, for the motel to get excellent reviews too.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Stayed at this motel on our last night before travelling back to the UK. Was greeted by a very nice manager...... That's the only good comment i have about this place.

Got put in a unit (think it was number 12). I still don't understand why we were put there because the place was more or less empty and, the unit we had was one of the most likely to be broken into because of get away opportunties right onto the main road. Thought we'd put up with the outdated decor because room was quite spacious and was for 1 night only. On our return from eating at a local restaurant we caught 2 theives breaking into our hire car. They had smashed the window, obliterated the ignition barrell with a screw driver but were caught in the act. They jumped over the back fence and ran off but had taken everything out of the boot (I admit we were stupid leaving things in the boot anyway). Luckily our belongings had been thrown over a fence and we found them later that night. The police never bothered turning up and we stayed awake all night before looking forward to 30 hours of travelling the next day.

The manager was very apologetic and said this has never happened before. After reading another review on here, I realise this isn't entirely truthful. He did give us a refund but this didn't make up for a night from hell worrying if they were coming back.

Avoid like the plague. Warning signs were notices all over the place stating there was security surveillance on the Motel Grounds.... Also untrue.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gail006
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We booked this motel for ease for the airport thinking it would be a excellent choice having looked at it on line. However looks can be very deceiving. The Pool is a sess pit and would not be usable. The pick up from the airport went well however room was very basic and lost somewhere in the 70s. In addition we had a night time visitor trying to break into
our room at 0200 in the morning clearly aware of the lock systems on the windows and the sliding doors. Thankfully we are light sleepers and the burglar was disturbed and made off on foot. Not a pleasant welcome to New Zealand at all and have not been told Mangere is not a suitable place for any traveller to stay. Be warned and try somewhere else or at least a reputable hotel chain.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janecolin40
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 December 2010

My husband, teen age son and I stayed here for one night before we flew back to Australia. I think that this is all this hotel is good for, one night stays, if that. I feel that being from this country it is an embarrasment that this motel is operational and that overseas tourists stay here. It is not clean and has nothing really that makes it stand out or memorable. Although the parking is free and the man at the counter was really nice and hospitable....I would not stay again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family