“left rather a nasty taste in the mouth”

Airport Gold Star Motel
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Phang Nga, Thailand
“left rather a nasty taste in the mouth”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We recently visited New Zealand and this was going to be our final night there. It was chosen because it was close to the airport for our early departure next morning. We booked this through Expedia NZ with a so called 'confirmed booking'. We arrived around 10-30pm to be told that the studio units weren't available as they were booked out and that if we wanted to stay it was going to cost us an extra $100 for a family room. As my wife and I were not prepared to fork out a further $100, we declined. The manager informed us that they had sent an email to myself and Expedia NZ. As we were travelling we hadn't checked emails for a couple of days. I am very unhappy with both the management of the Motel and Expedia NZ in particular the latter because they did absolutely nothing ie. no phone call, no email waiting. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them just to get a refund, no apology, no nothing! - very poor service indeed. I have used various international agencies in the Expedia network for many years but the NZ one takes the cake.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james u

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel is basic but really easy and clean. The decor is quite dated but everything is as should be - except no iron in the room. Carpet was worn. The massive TV on the wall is great but feels out of place in these rooms. There is also nowhere to get food and nothing really close.

We stayed in summer and our room was on the western end of the building and extremely hot and stuffy when we arrived - aircon or at least ceiling fans are essential in some of these upstairs rooms. We had to leave the balcony door open all night and were still too hot and didnt feel quite secure.

That being said the free shuttle and free wifi up to 500mb was good and the price was about right for the standard.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor in summer - might be cooler.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Tauranga
Reviewed 16 February 2014

A group of us stayed a night at the Gold Star Motel which was an interesting experience. The lack of hospitality (and English) from the onset should have been adequate warning! The beds were quite comfortable, the sheets were clean and the layout and the facilities in the room were adequate. The cleanliness of the semi-tired room was under par. The bath/shower was very slippery so you need to take extra care. Warning - the most interesting thing of all for us was the music from the church next door which starts very early on a Sunday morning! The full band and drum kit makes for an interesting wake up call! The price I feel is indicative of the service and quality that you will receive. PS. Although the grassed courtyard was pretty unkempt the pool did look as though you could swim in it without coming out of it with some unidentifiable disease!

Room Tip: Is there one?
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chillichickTauranga

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and daughter as a stopover before picking up our rental campervan the next day. Hotel facilities were very poor, but the bathroom was dangerous. Shower was over a very slippery well worn bath, tiles were coming off and were not fixed to the walls. My husband slipped in the bathroom and cracked 3 ribs, fractured a vertabrae in his back and bruised his lung. Was transported by ambulance to Middlemore Hospital at 10.30pm. I returned to the hotel at 7.30am still unsure of the full extent of his injuries, and unsure whether we would need to go home. Managements response was to tell me that if I stayed beyond 11am they would charge me for an extra night. They refused to offer me any additional time while I waited for a phone call from the hospital. Instead they left my daughter and I to sit out on the steps in the cold wind and rain (with our luggage) while we waited for the campervan company courtesy vehicle to collect us. I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and choose somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Debbie S
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I used this motel a lot for my customers, because I thought is was close to Auckland Airport and they offer a early shuttle to the airport. Well I will never ever recommend this motel ever again. The husband slipped in the shower, the wife rung the ambulance, they later found out that he had fractured his back. Now the next morning at 9,15am, the owner of the motel went to my client and said how long are you going to be in the room, if you are any longer than 11am, I will charge you another day.. what a thing to say, it was the motels fault for not putting slip matts in the bathrooms. he had no sympathy for my client, all he was worried about was then getting out the room. I think the owners customer service skills need to be polished, and along with his English. Do yourselves a favour and don't stay at the motel, they are a very unsympathic bunch of people, he didn't even offer any compensation to the client. I will never deal with again. If you want a crappy stay, then stay here by all means pay a little more and go the Grand chancellor.
This place has gone down hill since it was under new management.

Room Tip: Just don't use this motel ever, then you will be happy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Booked in to this motel solely for the 24 hour shuttle as we had a 6am international flight.

Nobody turned up, despite confirming the time just a few hours earlier. No info in the room about how to get hold of staff. Also no folder with local information which made trying to call for a taxi difficult. Nearly missed our flight as a result and cost an additional NZD 35.

In addition, the room was tired and kitchen equipment dirty - oven was filthy and there were hairs on the plates.

There are dozens of other motels in the surrounding area, would not use this again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here one night prior to an early finger national flight the next morning. The bedroom is small with only one chair but we had a good sleep. The TV would only work on 2 channels. The hostess was extremely obliging, running around making sure things were OK, and called in a cleaner to do a few odd little bits and pieces. We were surprised to see an oven but it was filthy and couldn't be used as no knobs on the dials. There was no microwave oven and no tea towels to dry the dishes we washed. We requested a wake-up call but unfortunately the alarm went more than an hour early as management had omitted to change their clocks for daylight saving (3 weeks earlier!!) Added to that, the driver was late, making the van full of passengers rather anxious.
However, on arrival home the experience was excellent: the pick-up van arrived in 11 minutes, the driver was friendly and he was an excellent chauffeur.
The cost was not cheap, so we feel a little work needs to be done to maintain and clean the rooms better.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple