“Apologies” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
nz
“Apologies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

I am devastated to read some of the reviews that have been written about Airport Goldstar motel. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for all the rudeness done by the previous manager. This motel belongs to my parents and they have worked very hard to make it a clean and friendly place to stay. It is very disappointing to see their hard work undone by this one person.
Unfortunately they hired this chap last year who seemed nice and friendly with a good reference as a full time manager. It came to light recently by reports from other staff that he was a terrible person for the job. He has been fired and no longer works at the motel however it seems like the damage has already been done.

Once again I would like to say sorry to everyone who experienced unacceptable custmor service during the past year. We will work extra hard to make Airport Goldstar a place you will want to return and recommend to other.

Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank h2onuts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

We stayed here and booked 2 units - 1 for our family of 4 and one studio unit for my parents. We arrived in the evening and booked the 24hr shuttle service for 3.45am the following morning. We thought we might need 2 shuttle trips due to all our luggage and were told it would be $10 extra for the extra trip even though they advertise "free 24hr shuttle". I queried this because we had 2 units booked and thought we should be entitled to 1 free shuttle per unit.

The man was ready for us at the time requested. We ended up fitting into 1 shuttle which was good but the man did not say one word to us from when we saw him until he dropped us off despite our good mornings, thank yous and good-byes!!!! It was sooo weird.

Unfortunately, we had not much sleep as the unit(s) near us decided to have a party until very late and we had to get up at 3am. We didn't complain.

Apart from this the unit was a good size and was clean. We were comfortable. My parent's alarm clock didn't work. We found 2 of our lights didn't work. We were only there for a few hours so it didn't bother us.

Based on the man's total unfriendliness towards us, we would definitely try somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Unfriendly customer service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sydtravs

Travellers are raving about these Mangere hotels

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2008

I stayed at the Gold Star for 4 nights this month and found it a passable place for crashing at night.

The Upsides:

* cheap
* close to airport
* easy to find
* the room was surprisingly large
* whole kitchen in the room - fridge, sink, microwave, stove and some dishes and pans

The Downsides:

* loud traffic noise from trucks in one of the "quiet" rooms
* a choice of 5 tv channels
* lumpy uncomfortable beds
* mandatory maid service that may or may not include leaving all the necessary linen in the room
* grumpy front desk staff
* had to book by calling them directly / not on wotif
* maid service doesn't do dishes
* creepy feeling to the whole place

I didn't use their shuttle service so I can't speak to that. Compared to some of the other bargain places in the area, this one is one of the better ones.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — lumpy bed
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sydau2nz
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

On paper this motel looks fine and if all you want is a clean and comfortable sleep then it is, but don't expect anyone to be nice to you. The poor chap, and I assume he is the manager, who picked us up from the airport and checked us in (if you can call it that) clearly wished we were dead.
We arrived wearily at the airport after flying from the UK and after calling to arrange the pickup waited for it to arrive. But it didn't. After 45 minutes I phoned again to be told rudely that we had been waiting in the wrong place. I was informed in no uncertain terms that our lift had arrived and had left again although we - a very tired, prebooked and paid up family party of 4,- were waiting all alone a few metres away from the apparant arranged spot, and clearly visible to anyone who cared to look .
A Very Grumpy Motel Man arrived who glared at us in hatred, didn't help us load any bags, and was so rude in spite of my attempt to share some the blame for the confusion. We drove in stoney silence back to the motel, he didn't help us when we arrived, stomped into the office, kept us waiting with our bags in the rain not sure of what to do, suddenly snarled at us out of the door "Well aren't you coming into register!" He muttered some instructions as to the whereabouts of the unit in the most unwelcoming way he could, and no doubt went off swearing under his breath.
The room was fine, beds, clean and comfy, but I think the manager either hates late night pickups, has been let down in the past or just needs someone to love him. We won't be back. Welcome to New Zealand kids.

• Liked — it's location
  • Disliked — the people skills of management
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Annie2008UK
Tauranga NZ & Sitka AK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

I've stayed at dozen or more motels near airport & generally found them lovely/pricey or skanky/cheap. The Gold Star has become my motel of choice (have stayed there 3X); it's well-managed, very clean, & reasonably priced. My rooms have always been quite large, beds comfortable queen-size, towels/amenities very good, view toward grounds pleasant enough, & cooking facilities adequate for a cuppa. I've paid more for less but never less for more near AKL airport.

Slight downside: the Gold Star is located at a busy intersection, so some rooms do get traffic noise until very late at night.

• Liked — spacious room & comforatble queen-size bed
  • Disliked — shower is in bathtub
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Local-knowledge
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2007

I stayed at the Airport Gold Star Motel for one evening whilst travelling through Auckland to the Pacific Islands.

I was arriving late at night, and leaving early in the morning, so unfortunately that meant that I would miss their shuttle service.

When booking, I contacted the hotel directly, and they were wonderfully helpful. They did give me details for a taxi company, but when I arrived I was so tired, I didn't want to wait the 15 minutes that they indicated it would take to pick me up. So I took a taxi from outside the airport.

One thing that I would warn everyone though... If you are travelling to a hotel within the airport vicinity (ie within a 5-10 minute drive), the driver will charge you a NZ $25.00 minimum, as it is not worth their while taking you, when there might be other travellers wanting to travel into Auckland city. A bit of a skank I felt, but understandable, and at that time in the morning - I just wanted to get to the hotel!

I found out on my return to Auckland that most other hotels in the airport area do offer 24 hour shuttle service, which - should I have known earlier, I would certainly have chosen these alternatives, and did actually do so on my return flight - when I stayed at the Oakwood Manor Hotel.

When I arrived at the hotel, as promised by the management, the key to my room was under the mat outside the door. However, the door was underneath a rather leaky fire escape that had torrents of water constantly splattering down, and all of the mat and key etc were soaking wet.

That might not bother some people, but I'm not a fan of dipping my hands into unknown liquid... It wasn't raining, and didn't look like it had been raining recently - so it could have just been water - but could have been a broken sewage pipe for all I knew! :o)

My room was basic, but contained everything that's needed - including a self-contained kitchen, coffee & tea making facilities, iron, ironing board, alarm clock, Sky TV, towels etc.

The bedding did smell a bit like it needed a good boil wash and some Lenor - but that's probably just me being a bit fussy! :o)

I'm presuming that I was put in the "not so great" room during my stay, the owners were aware that I wouldn't be using the facilities in full - as when I opened my patio door I was greeted with an iron bar fence/shed kind of structure, and a car park on my right. Not ideal - but wasn't a problem for me!

I did have a little walk around the rest of the property though, and all of the other rooms opened onto nice areas, and the pool area looked lovely.

My experience at the Gold Star was good overall, and I would recommend it for anyone having a short stopover in Auckland.

I was especially grateful for the bath and shower in the en-suite, as I had been travelling for 24 hours from the UK to Singapore and then on to Auckland. Believe me, I was sooooo happy to see that I could have a nice long soak! :o)

• Liked — The location - close to the airport
  • Disliked — The leaks outside the room, and the leak in the wardrobe.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo