“Average for the price”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Oamaru
KL
“Average for the price”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

For the NZD90 I paid, the room was par for course, if a little dated and worn. All rooms are single storey, and you park right outside your room, so carrying your baggage is very easy. The receptionist was honest and told me about problems I may face with the internet. She even gave me a back up wifi hotspot card, which I left in the room unused, as my connection worked well. This is a rarity and kudos to her for being helpful and candid.

Be aware that cleaners tend barge into your room around 9 am and there is no security latch. So, depending on how aware you are, you need to tell them that you are (in the toilet/shower/in bed) to please go away. It is a matter of timing and luck; it definitely kick starts your day. As the motel leaves all unoccupied rooms with their 2 layers of curtains drawn open, they surely knew that my room was occupied (my car was outside, my curtains were fully drawn closed, the TV and lights were on) but probably felt that they should open the door anyway. I hope the management would advise the cleaners on how to identify occupied rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Southland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We were unable to stay here as they were fully booked but the owner very kindly found us very good accommodation across the road.
We did dine at the Courtyard Restaurant beside the Heritage Court Motor Lodge and were very pleased with our choice.
Andrew, the Chef and the lovely waitress could not have been more helpful. The food was excellent, which I would recommend to any traveler but best of all, Andrew, for personal reasons, understood what gluten free meant and that made for a very safe and enjoyable dining experience.
As the Courtyard Restaurant is very close to other motels, it's the perfect place to dine as it's a long walk back into the main town if you want wine etc with your meal.
Oamaru turned out to be an excellent overnight stop on the trip home.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We stayed here for three nights - we'd just come from Christchurch and wanted to see the Janet Frame house near the centre. It's conveniently on the main road and a five-ten minute drive or twenty-minute walk to the centre, where the attractions - apart from the many Frame connections - are the historical area, the harbour, Oamaru Public Gardens, and oh, let's not forget the blue penguins. The motel is clean, it's great value, there's a New World supermarket five minutes' walk away, the setting is fine, the owner very helpful and obliging, and there was free wifi. What more could you need?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Spacious and plenty of room in the bedrooms and sitting area. Kitchenette a wee bit small when there are four of you! We enjoyed the use of wifi but data used up quickly ? Staff friendly and helpful. Okay for an overnight stay. Needs some decor update but clean and tidy. The Lodge is situated out of town so no walking into Oamaru ... Which is worth a look around; it obviously prospered in times gone by.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Great service, tidy rooms, friendly staff. Kid friendly .internet was problematic, but that would be my only complaint. Great that you could order from restaurant , delivered to your room. Clean and tidy!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night only,room is clean and tidy,spacious enough ,receptionist was a temp ,we requested use of the wifi and were given a code however, we found is impossible to connect ,its very slow and receptionist says you cannot browse on net because its slow ,also its states 53tv channels available,we found the tv reception impossible we were able to view 4 channels but were so much disturbance,we turn the set off.so for us to stay there again we would want assurance that this matters have been rectified,because it was essential for us to have internet connection while away from home.

• Stayed January 2013
heritage_oamaru, Owner at Heritage Court Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Hello, Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you had so much difficulty with the internet. Some days it is only as good as our server provides and other days it is great and fast. We had experienced a number of internet outages from our provider telecom over the past few weeks. I had not had a break for 8 weeks, so I booked the weekend away. I do not know which room you were in as the signal is weak in two areas of the complex and we are working with our computer technician to boost the signal a bit more. Currently workers are installing Fibre to the door in Oamaru, so I am hoping we will get to connect to that in the next 12 months.
The television reception is unusual though as it is all through the SKY decoder. The TV is set to Channel 1 and then you change the channel with the SKY remote. 4 channels is no where near enough, even the freeview channels are up to about 14 channels. Guest Select has 50+ channels which does include radio stations. I can only imagine that a guest before you decided to change settings on the television and for this I am very sorry, I do not get to check them every day. We have also recently trialled removing the movie channels from SKY as we have the complimentary DVD library. We have found that a number of guests are not concerned by SKY movies, as they can watch a DVD of their choice when they want. These sort of things always seem to happen when I am away and the minder is not familiar enough with everything that happens.
Hopefully you might give us another chance and I can make sure that it all works well.
Again Thank you for letting us know
Kind Regards
Tracey Donohue
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Spent one night in sunny Oamaru. Hosts were friendly and nothing was a problem. Considering it is on the main highway my unit was very quiet. Great bed, bathroom with spa bath and a small kitchen capped off a nice unit. I had a nice meal bought to my unit from the on site restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business