“Amazing place, amazing woman” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Te Maunga

Te Maunga
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nelson
Te Maunga
Ranked #52 of 59 Nelson B&B and Inns
Elsah, Illinois
“Amazing place, amazing woman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at Te Maunga House for several days in May and it was an amazing experience. While I prefer to meet locals and stay at B&B's or other local establishments when I travel, I have to realize that my experiences and accommandations will vary at each destination. That is, after all.....the point of real travel for me. Anne Kolless, the owner and caretaker of Te Maunga House has travelled extensively and I enjoyed chatting with her on many destinations that are still on my bucket list. She has an amazing "Hemmingway" room with many treasures that she has picked up in her travels.....I loved being surrounded by so much history and culture. Her garden.....WOW....I spent almost an entire day wandering in her gardens, ticking birds off my bird list and enjoying amazing views from "her hill". The breakfasts were great and healthy. I had the same difficulty finding Te Maunga house with my GPS as other reviewers had....but I don't consider that a drawback....after all....if I wanted something easy to find...I could have found a place on the local business strip. Sometimes, it takes a little effort to find a great gem. After all, isn't that why most of us travel!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Kathy B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Port Vila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Te Maunga is an iconic historical home lovingly maintained by her owner Anne Kolless and now offered to guests from around the world. The home sits atop the Nelson syline and has great views over the city and up the valley to the East.
Anne has herself travelled extensively around the world and is a mine of information for travellers seeking ideas for their stay in the picturesque Nelson area.
Anne has overcome the demands of a heritage listing to provide guests facilties that work with the property's structual constraints.
More importantly for us was the friendly welcome and the magic breakfast served daily with things like honey from her own bees and always fresh NZ fruits and home made yogurt.
Te Maunga provided a great base to explore this lovely region and it was great at the nd of a long day out to flop and rop in the comfort of Te Maunga.
To think that the materials to build this house were lugged by horse and cart up that hill is amazing in itself.
Thanks Anne for the tip to go to Picton via the Queen Charlotte Drive - Excellent

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BryanDeath
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

Te Maunga could be quite difficult to find but the directions are reasonably comprehensive with only a little confusion at the very end. Our greeting gave me pause for reflection when we were asked to remove our shoes. I was wearing crocs. Then we were told we had the wrong walking gear on - "expensive merino like I have is so superior" and that the landlady does not need the amount of luggage we had when she travels to Europe but old English people don't know what to pack. I found it difficult to make an effort to like the place after that.
Our room did not have ensuite facilities but we had an acceptable private bathroom.
The house is a bit out of the town centre but it's possible to walk, partly along a steep dark track, if you are reasonably agile and have a torch for your return.
Breakfast was fine with a choice of cereals and fruit, and home-made yoghurt, but you do feel under pressure to eat items specially made - we did not.
It does have extensive views and is modestly priced.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank united33
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is a grand dame set on 1 imperial acre, on the highest hill, overlooking Nelson. The views are stunning. It can be a bit tricky to find, but our GPS handled it well, even though we ended up going up the more difficult way (one single lane, with 2 way traffic). Anne works very hard at keeping this place up and it shows. It is very clean and well cared for. She was very helpful recommending restaurants and things to do in town. There are a few things that may put some people off. Anne doesn’t allow wine upstairs in the rooms, and you have to take off your shoes before going upstairs, so, if you are bringing in more than one trip of things to your room, you may want to bring everything to the front porch first, and likewise, bring it all down to the landing, before carrying it out to your car. Otherwise, you end up taking your shoes off and on several times while coming and going. Anne is decidedly left wing politically, and makes it known rather quickly (think Michael Moore). She is very proud of the accomplishments of her fellow New Zealanders. The rooms, specifically advertised and rented as ensuite, are not by my interpretation “ensuite”. There are 2 bathrooms, at the end of a short hall, for the 3 rooms she rents. I have my issues with getting up a lot at night, so for me this is an important distinction, perhaps not for others. The bath tub was retrofitted with a shower, however, the shower head is fixed, and hits you at about your chest or stomach. The towels were definitely “scrunchy” (scratchy). The continental breakfast was very good, and included some homemade “sweet bread”, fresh fruit, cereal, toast, coffee and tea. We were there on one of our sunny days (lots of cloudy days) and sitting out in the yard overlooking Nelson with the ocean beyond, was delightful. Beautiful place!

Room Tip: Beware that you must exit your bedroom to go to one of the two bathrooms at the end of the hall, and...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sxmbeachlover
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at Nelson over the New Year as part of a trip down the west coast of New Zealand from Picton to Te Anau. Te Maunga was a real treasure, full of charm. Our hostess Anne was considerate and friendly and interesting to talk to. Te Maunga has been in her family since its construction over 80 years ago and the house retains great style & character. It offers a commanding view from the top of the hill and we watched the New Year fireworks accompanied by Anne and a bottle of wine. We would highly recommend Te Maunga as interesting and quality accommodation, out of the ordinary and one of the best we stayed in in New Zealand.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roadrunner2709
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Cosy, comfortable and homely. Lovely breakfast using homemade and local produce and beautiful room. Annie is a wonderful host! We stayed for 2 nights on our first visit to Nelson and after visiting Golden Bay and Abel Tasman came back for a second visit as it was so good the first time!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael W
Los Gatos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Wonderful location on top of a steep hill overlooking Nelson, but only 15 minutes walk from town. Friendly owner, good breakfast - lots of fresh fruit!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple