“Not really recommended”

Ranked #34 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Nelson
London, United Kingdom
“Not really recommended”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights. The rooms are large and bright, but could be cleaner. There aren't enough bathrooms/showers. There's supposed to be a shower area for women only but anyone who wanted to seemed to be using it; probably a consequence of there not being enough in the other area. The man who runs it is nice and friendly, and the location is very central, less than 5 minutes walk from the bus depot where the buses stop. The biggest annoyance is the noise - there seemed to be people living there on a long term basis and one such person had a television (or was watching from a PC as rooms do not come with TV), which was very loud and listened to it throughout the whole day and night. Another noise issue is that some rooms are by a veranda/balcony where guests gather, smoking, talking and making noise until all hours. As the windows look out onto the balcony, you do not want to open your window. I would stay elswhere if I were back in Nelson.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the veranda/balcony where all the smokers gather and make lots of noise at...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kelantan, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I booked a dorm room at this backpacker. Aurora backpacker is small so does the kitchen etc.

it is not far from the place where I am going to take my bus . The location is strategic at the centre of town not far from shops.

the receptionist (can't remember his name" was friendly and treat me and my friend warmly . but one accident happens where my roommate was drunk and she makes rude remarks.

the room is very small not really comfortable . but the hospitality is great. the receptionist tells us how to get to the centre of NZ.

overall if comfort is ur biggest priority, u may have to rethink if u want to choose dorm room as u might bumped into a drunk roommate .

but the receptionist was nice

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I ended up here at the suggestion of the desk attendant at the YHA in Nelson. I hadn’t booked in advance and every place I tried had been full. I went to Aurora and got the last bed - a six-bed female only dorm. My room had a wardrobe and two dressers, which was helpful for six girls to find space for their things. The facilities were fairly clean and they provided a free cereal breakfast in the mornings. For the most part it was quiet, except for the smoking crowd on a second-floor deck. The first shower I had was quite cold, as I had missed the sign on the back of the door (where I hung my towel) that told how to obtain hot water - turn on shower, go to sink and run hot water there, then return to shower - until I got out after a cold water shampoo. The next shower worked a lot better.

The staff was quite helpful and friendly. It turned out my room was overbooked by one, so the last person in ended up with her own room as a result of the confusion. There is an internet café downstairs and guests get a half-price discount. The location is right in town, making it a close walk to most anything you’re looking for.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo