“You get what you paid for”
Review of Aurora Backpackers

Aurora Backpackers
and 1 more site!
Aurora Backpackers
Ranked #34 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Nelson
Singapore, Singapore
“You get what you paid for”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great location, not far from i-site and around a lot of food places and ATMs. Room's pretty spacious. Toilet not the best as it was next to a smoking area which was hardly closed. A good basic hostel for a night or two while you move on to the next place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Yes, it is the cheapest hostel in town but compared to the prices of other hostels you are better off paying a bit more and get a decent bed/room.

We had a double room with a spectacularly uncomfortable mattress. We decided not to stay and had quite an argument with the owner before we got our money back.

There were nice people around but bathroom and kitchen were a mess.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms but do not go for a double room. You'll regret it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Christoph C

Travellers are raving about these Nelson hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed 3 nights in a single room, in this case I sayed in a double room by myself. It was good room, quite big, good smell, and nice to sleep, even thoug is in front of the main Street in Nelson. Receptionist was awesome, so helpfull and kind. i had a good time there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It fitted the bill for all I needed as I had one night in Nelson, was on a budget and I was arriving by Intercity bus at 7:30pm. It's 2 mins walk from the bus stop and right in the city. I'd emailed Kevin a couple of days prior to see if it suited and he was most helpful and said he'd have a room available and for me to pay on arrival. My bus was 30mins late and poor Kevin had thought I'd jipped him but he was there waiting to let me in and so I was most grateful for that. I luckily had no other guests in the dormitory and I can imagine that it'd be cramped if it were full. I wasn't too impressed with the bathrooms but hey, it's a backpackers so wasn't expecting too much quality. Yes the place is a bit rough in places but it is a renovated up old building so there are limits to what can be done to improve it. It was worth $25 I spent staying there, fine to grab a quick cereal bite included in that price, Kevin was helpful to the end and phoned a taxi for me to the airport the next morning. That's not their fault but how dumb is that that there is no public transport bus to the airport?! Anyway, I recommend them if you're wanting a cheap stay In Nelson city and I wouldn't want to stay there for a longer period but as I'm an older woman and sometimes just want a budget room to stay in, I'm not averse to staying at a backpackers even though I'm not their average customer. This proved to be all I needed. Thanks Kevin!

Room Tip: Maybe choose further up the hall, way past the kitchen and toilets etc as the floors a super squeaky...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I did spend three nights in this hostel and enjoyed my stay. Kevin and the female receptionist were very friendly and helpful. Same goes for the woofers who made sure everything was neat and clean.
There were only two things which enjoyed me and therefore only four stars instead of five. One was the kitchen door infront of dorm 10 which kept
on banging/got slammed cos no door knob or anything else inbetween and not everyone was raised with good manners to quietly close the door (a piece of rubber around the door and the frame would help) and secondly the evening music from the opposite pub EVERY night out of my three nights with finishing not before 2am (which is not the hostels fault). It's fine for travellers but it might get very annoying if you have to work in the morning.
Besides that, the hostel was close to everything. Make sure you check out the 'centre of new zealand'. Great view!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Germany
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Had to stay in Nelson for just one night because of the departing times of the coachlines and chose the cheapest backpacker in town.. Even though there were some nice people around, the facilities and hygiene of that hostel were just bad. I had a really uncomfortable sleep that night and was always scared some of my things could be stolen.
The "included breakfast" consisted of some Budget flakes and the cheapest milk..

Room Tip: All rooms are bad.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nick B
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed for one night, very small rooms with !heaps! of people in. In the morning we packed our stuff took it out of the room and quater to 10 (10am is regular checkout time everywhere else) while i was smoking a cig on the balcony and my mate took a shower the manager came out and asked me quite harsh to leave checkout time has passed (he didn't told any of us before). He knocked at the door of the shower where my mate was in and told him he is charging extra fee if he is not gone within five minutes. Tells for itself. Quite surprising for a hostel advertising as Nelsons friendliest Backpackers. The place has an Internet Cafe downstairs where Backpackers get special offer. If you ask me the two dollars other hostels cost more are defenitly worth it. Even though this hostel has a good location right in the city center.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo