“A great place to unwind”

Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I found this place through a Google search and much like the advertisements it is lovely. I would liken it to a quaint little town somewhere in Europe. The apartments are broken up by small tiled alleyways and lined by pretty garden beds. The host was a lovely South African lady (I hope I picked that up right) who was very hospitabitable, gave me a free room upgrade which is always a very nice touch. My room was situated at the far right side of he complex and what a room i was. I was here on a work trip so I didn't require too much space but the room was a decent size for a couple or a small family. Everything was clean from top to bottom, especially the bathroom. The kitchenette equipped with fridge, stove top and cooking equipment. My lounge had a view a cute little alleyway and a little jewellery shop. My room also had two tvs one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. The pool, spa and gym were not too far away, perhaps a 1 min walk. I used the gym but some of the equipment wasn't working (the treadmill buttons seemed to be broken and the bike seat I couldn't adjust) but still a very nice area.To top it all off I had a very enjoyable sleep on my last night, so the beds are very comfortable and so were the pillows.

I loved the feeling of the place, clean, warm and quaint. My only disappointment was the wifi, it always cut out but it was manageable.

Thanks for keeping a high standard for such a great pace. It made my stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell your fellow travellers about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback i am sorry to hear about the wifi we will be looking into this with our IT contractor, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had missed our flights so needed a place to stay at a moments notice close to the Airport, The staff were great, polite and very helpful, made everything a breeze from a superb dinner in the Restaurant to a free mini bus the next morning back to the Airport. I would highly recommend this venue to all, Very relaxing atmosphere and a peaceful setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell your fellow travellers about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I recently co-ran an event at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments and it was fantastic. While there were some teething difficulties in staff change over for us organisers prior to the event happening (make sure you have things in writing!!!!), when we were actually there running the event, it couldn't have been better! The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms were wonderful and the setting amazing (you feel like you've walked out of 'normality' and into a whole new little world, it's stunning!).

The staff, particularly Kat were incredible and bent over backwards to make our experience a wonderful one. When things went wrong (as inevitably they do), the staff really pulled all stops to ensure that we could remedy the problem and get back to 'normality'.

The kitchen/restaurant staff were who we went to when we had any issues and all of them were helpful, smiling and eager to make our experience a good one. I really couldn't fault a single one of them.

Our attendees raved about the setting, rooms and event as a whole and for the event we were running, it wouldn't have been the same for us if we'd had it somewhere else.

We had people stay on after our event and the feedback was just as good for them as 'individuals' as it was for us as an event.

Our only criticism was that on the Sunday the paperbag lunch we ordered was feeling a little 'stale', I wonder when it was made?

But really, that was just a little blip on the radar.

The setting is right across from the sea and makes for a wonderful place to take a walk and the view across the mountains is so peaceful and relaxing. The airport is close which is both a bonus and a hindrance as you are close so after a flight it's quick to get to your hotel, but you do have occassional noise from planes (not that anyone really noticed this).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments about The Grand Mercure Nelson and The Orangerie Restaurant , it is really appreciated. I will be sure to pass these on to our team as they enjoy receiving feedback. We truly aprecited your understanding regarding our change of staff due to maternity leave.
It was fnatastic to have your group stay with us and great that you were able to hold such a fantastic event here in the sunny Nelson region .

Thank you again for your wonderful comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Grand Mercure Monaco in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed one night at the apartment. We had a double storey terrace house all by ourself. The environment of the place is very serene. The apartment is well-furnished. We had two rooms on the first floor. We had a lounge and well-equiptment kitchen on the ground floor. A beautiful resort for a family of four.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Lovely place to stay, super helpful staff and accommodation was spotless. We really enjoyed the peaceful setting and the whole atmosphere of the place. It was handy to local amenities and also the walking and cycling tracks.

Room Tip: The Chalets are gorgeous
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to sunny Nelson in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I travel a lot with business so will just list pros and cons from a buisness traveller perspective

Pros are clean comfortable rooms, good staff, food

Cons are really bad WiFi reception that you actually have to pay for! Bad for free u put up with but bad and have to pay for is a real put down for the venue. The location at the end of the airport runway I can live with given small planes but the venue is certainly not central!

Room Tip: If u value WiFi choose somewhere else. If you Leontief use Wifi and want a quiet clean room or apart...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell your fellow travellers about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback i am sorry to hear that you had an issue with the wifi as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services,we are looking into this with our IT contractor. We have just installed a new wifi system throughout the property and we are looking to offer this service free for the coming summer once all costs have been covered, however we are now offering some online packages with free wifi. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Monaco and sunny Nelson in the near future

Reviewed 23 August 2013

After accidently booking this for the wrong date, I was in a big panic to try and fix it (although my booking was non refundable) the staff were very friendly and helpful and changed it for us once we had got there (they easily could have said no, but you get better service out of hotels like this one)
We were given our room key and went to our room- it was beautiful. We had booked a basic room and got given one with a giant bathroom, lounge with tv and music player, kitchen with a washing machine and a big bedroom. We had temperature dials in our room and heaters too, so if you like your heat, that is a big bonus.. or if you get too hot you can cool the room down on the temperature dial!
It was very clean. Also a great location for the airport (a 15-20 minute stroll away so you save on getting the shuttle)
Thank you very much, wish we had stayed here longer!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends