“Surprising little find”

Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Who would have thought that somewhere in the South Island is a tiny little English Tudor village. Oh wait, no, it's the Monaco Apartments!

We arrived late and night and came across typical excellent service from friendly staff as I've come to expect from Mercure locations around the world. We weren't expecting a Mercure that was some combination of top tier motel, hotel and serviced apartments.

Somehow, it works really well, and we ended up staying for two comfortable nights and really enjoyed Nelson and the surrounding area, as our last stop on a road-trip around the South Island before heading to the North Island.

We stayed in apartment 714 (downstairs in a little town house) and the apartment was well designed and comfortable, although we found it a little dark. The kitchenette was perfect for our needs, and the living room and bedroom was comfortable.

It's the staff that make it in the end, and every interaction was friendly, helpful and professional.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SimonButcher
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear SimonButcher
Thank you for sharing your lovely comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco.
I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly, helpful and professional and the service to be excellent.
I will share your comments with the rest of our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all as we continuously strive to improve the quality of our services.
I will also pass your comments regarding the lighting onto our maintenance manager for him to follow up on.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Great location and great hotel, beautiful tudor style but only built in 2004 so modern fittings and fixtures. The bird houses built into the side of the building are a nice touch.

Very close to a five star hotel and would not take much to make it that and defiantly one of the better properties I have stayed in..
Very clean and tidy, very helpful staff.. the level maintenance could be improved though..
Looks like a great location and setup for weddings, they were setting up for one during my stay.

Close to the airport ($17 taxi ride) but a bit further to town, plenty of parking.

Restaurant was ok, service was good but the breakfasts are very basic and not that well thought out. i.e all the fruit was tinned.. (This is Nelson and it shouldn't be..)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank snmp68
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear snmp68. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we appreciate your constructive feedback about the maintenance and the breakfast buffet. I will be following up your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager and Maintenance Manager to address these issues, and prevent future occurrence wherever possible. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were impressed with the reception staff right from the start of the stay. They new their 'stuff' and it has been a long time since we have been that impressed with front of house people. Well done Jackie and Sharon.
We arrived for a couples weekend with a studio booking. On arrival we asked if we could up-grade to a suite and nothing was a problem. Suite was great, nice size, clean. Staff were great, weather was great. All in all a very pleasurable weekend.
We would have no hesitation in recommending a stay at the Monaco, and we will be back too.

Room Tip: Studio rooms face the water and the suites have the village green for ambience.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank autoadvisor
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear Autoadvisor, We very much appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed staying in one of our suites. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will pass your great comments on to Jackie and Sharon as I know that they will appreciate them. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Fantastic across the board - location, facilities, service, dining. The cottage was amazing, comfortable, spacious, clean and well presented, with everything you could possibly need for your stay in a 'home-away-from-home' atmosphere. The evening meals we at the restaurant were simply delicious. Staff on the front desk were extremely helpful and friendly, as well as other staff we encountered. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here whilst in Nelson on business.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Dee_NZ2013, Thank you for your fantastic comments about your recent stay at the hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed our new spring menu that we launched this month in our restaurant. I will pass on your lovely feedback to our staff, especially our reception team, as I know that they will all appreciate being recognised. We hope you have the opportunity to return to Nelson for leisure so you can experience all that Nelson has to offer.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Quiet, spacious and comfortable rooms although looking a bit tired. Gardens and grounds are well kept and the gym well equipped. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the on-site stores great. Orangerie restaurant is a fantastic place for a meal! Will stay here again on our next trip to Nelson.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell your fellow travellers about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one and we look forward to seeing you in sunny Nelson soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I found this place through a Google search and much like the advertisements it is lovely. I would liken it to a quaint little town somewhere in Europe. The apartments are broken up by small tiled alleyways and lined by pretty garden beds. The host was a lovely South African lady (I hope I picked that up right) who was very hospitabitable, gave me a free room upgrade which is always a very nice touch. My room was situated at the far right side of he complex and what a room i was. I was here on a work trip so I didn't require too much space but the room was a decent size for a couple or a small family. Everything was clean from top to bottom, especially the bathroom. The kitchenette equipped with fridge, stove top and cooking equipment. My lounge had a view a cute little alleyway and a little jewellery shop. My room also had two tvs one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. The pool, spa and gym were not too far away, perhaps a 1 min walk. I used the gym but some of the equipment wasn't working (the treadmill buttons seemed to be broken and the bike seat I couldn't adjust) but still a very nice area.To top it all off I had a very enjoyable sleep on my last night, so the beds are very comfortable and so were the pillows.

I loved the feeling of the place, clean, warm and quaint. My only disappointment was the wifi, it always cut out but it was manageable.

Thanks for keeping a high standard for such a great pace. It made my stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell your fellow travellers about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback i am sorry to hear about the wifi we will be looking into this with our IT contractor, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had missed our flights so needed a place to stay at a moments notice close to the Airport, The staff were great, polite and very helpful, made everything a breeze from a superb dinner in the Restaurant to a free mini bus the next morning back to the Airport. I would highly recommend this venue to all, Very relaxing atmosphere and a peaceful setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell your fellow travellers about your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.