“An Awesome Hotel”

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Found this awesome hotel by accident and have visited it each time we come back to Nelson. Great range of top beers, beautiful food, comfortable outdoor area with great surroundings. So good that we parked our RV and stayed the night. Had a fantastic view in the morning of the sea lapping the shore at our doorstep. Doesnt get much better.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

what a pleasure it was to stay here. The rooms decor suited the feel of the entire venue. despite it being above the pub there was minimal noise and it was a very comfortable stay. I did feel the food was over priced but still enjoyable. it is about 10k from the city centre but in a beautiful spot..a touch of luxury

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Hotel has a crazy way of accessing rooms .. in my view not very logical, ractical or friendly, or necessary. Our room had a dreadful smell but the rooms of our friends didn't have this problem.
If it hadn't been for the company of lovely friends, we would have checked out of this hotel -- there was nothing at all which made it worth staying there, and plenty in faour of checking out!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I stopped here for lunch. We both had the soup which was great and as the weather was so good , we decided to sit outside as the weather was good. A nice place for a quick lunch.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We were very very disapponted as the hotel shut down for Easter. We had driven all day and were looking forward to drink and a meal. Not to be!!! No service, blown light globes and a frozen continental breakfast left in a communal fridge. Communal milk and orange juice. Perhaps it would have been more "honest" to not take our booking.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My bestie and I decided to head north to Nelson to head to a Rodeo!

I am normally the one in charge of all accomodation bookings... this time I was not.

So the credit for booking this wonderful hotel really does go to my bestie.

I was so so shocked she picked a place like this to stay....

I AM SO SO GLAD SHE DID!!!

In love!

What happend in true events, we both had to work on the Friday, so we didnt leave Christchurch to 630pm, we are girls, we like to stop and take photos, completely oblivious to how long it actually took to get to Nelson, we realise around Murchison, that getting to Nelson before 10pm was not going to happen, so we gave a quick wee call to let them know where we were, the lovely host advised to take our time and she will see us once we get here!

Arriving just short of midnight we were greeted very warmly to a wonderful host,

She promptly took us to our room (Ihad to pick up my jaw) I was in LOVE!!

The old decor but not so old that it was well used was GORGEOUS.

I loved the history in the room and the whole entire collection of law books in amazing nick, the old fashioned writing table a fax - i dunno why I am so excited about this, but it was just so different it was a novelty!

We booked twin room for 100.00 ($50.00 each) serious bargin.

The beds were actual insane, they were massive, i don't even know what the size was... so i am making it up as a single double - definately bigger than a king single.

Now I dunno about you, but I am most certainly a Bathroom girl, this bathroom was amazing gorgeous every descriptive word for outstanding you could possibly think of, I was in love with the TOILET! no joke i loved it flush button I do not know why it was just so different. The shower was a double door shower with a seat and the towels were insane again, lots of them and large.

As I am a very honest person, and I truely loved my stay here, and I would definately stay here again, I don't want this to deter anyone from staying here, there is a tiny tiny negative, there was no A/C or Ceiling Fan, as the rooms are upstairs it was very very warm, being middle of summer and all. Fortunately there was a window and we slept with it open, but since it was so warm, it did very little to take out the heat of the room.

Please enjoy the photos and book your accom here, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KT_K81597
Management response:Responded 15 March 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

We hope you will come and stay again on your next trip to Nelson.

Best Regards

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We were visiting Nelson for our niece's wedding, and after the rehearsal on Friday evening, some of the family went out to the Honest Lawyer. This was our second visit, the first being about three years ago. We were very well received, and on both occasions the meal was delicious, and the service very good. Especially on the night after the wedding rehearsal, where we were a large group of clients, we were extremely well served, courteously made welcome, and everything was done to ensure we had an enjoyable meal. The live music was also very good. Will be recommended to many of our friends! Thank you.

Room Tip: To find this restaurant on TomTom, we had to look under hotels. Be advised!!