“Really nice pizzas, good experience”

The Hot Rock Gourmet Pizza Pasta Bar
Ranked #85 of 171 Restaurants in Nelson
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, New Zealand
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to the home of award-winning gourmet pizza in Nelson. Excite your tastebuds with our special wood-fired pizzas, be entertained by our lively atmosphere and treat yourself to a great night at The Hot Rock! Perfect for sharing with friends, or the whole family - we look forward to hosting you...
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Really nice pizzas, good experience”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Baked in wood-fired oven, the pizzas at the Hot Rock have ingredients that are definitely fresh. Every topping described on the menu is there, and I mean it's not just a tiny bit here and there just to say 'hey don't complain, everything's here!', it's more like 'salmon? yeah here's salmon, and here and here, and a HUGE. CHUNK. RIGHT. HERE'

Which leads me to the only complain I have about the pizzas: there is such a thing as too much, in this case, too much of the ingredients. I had salmon, cream cheese and avocado pizza, which was amazingly good, but there was a bit too much salmon, which made it too salty, and by the fourth slice I was dehydrated and a bit disgusted.

BUT, it was definitely a nice experience, the staff were very nice and friendly, the owner or manager was super attentive to every customer, and for entry, we had an amazing breads and dips with an olive oil, made in Nelson, that was just beautiful.

So I definitely recommend it, just make sure to take some bits of salmon off it before swallowing it all, and if you're not keen on dining in, there's always the option of takeaway (and I know that if I lived in Nelson, I wouldn't be going to Domino's...).

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“Authentic Pizza in Tahunanui”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This small, unpretentious restaurant specialises in pizza, baked in a wood-fired oven, and pasta. We had the "Woolly, Woolly" pizza and the "Naked". The "Woolly Woolly" had, apart from feta, olives and yoghurt, pieces of marinated lamb on it and it tasted good. The "Naked" had just tomato sauce, NZ mozzarella and basil, which was also tasty. Prices are certainly on the high side for this kind of restaurant: Large "Woolly Woolly" NZD 27.50, small NZD18.50. Large "Naked" NZD 24.50, small NZD 15.50. Draught lager comes at NZD 8 a pint. The waitress was efficient and friendly. Despite the large mark-up, I can recommend this place.

• Visited January 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“not much to rave about”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Friends and I came here for dinner and ordered some pizzas and pasta. The pizzas were decent, oven-baked and had fresh ingredients...but not exactly superb.
The pasta came as quite a surprise. We are used to pasta that's al dente, not too starchy and with a sauce that's smooth in texture. I'm not sure if its just a different way that pasta is cooked, but it didn't quite suit our palate. The pasta was dry and somewhat starchy. Price wise, the mains cost an average of $20 which is quite pricey.
Service was definitely a plus and the owner was friendly. Still, not enough for me to want to return I'm afraid.

• Visited December 2012
Christchurch
“Beautiful pizza a little bit pricey”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Great pizza at Nelsons only wood fried pizza restaurant- lots of choice and the owner was extremely friendly and welcoming. I did find the pizzas quite expensive- only considering the size of pizza that you got the large was certainally a lot smaller than I've had before. Great taste though and it was worth paying the price to get a decent pizza.

Visited December 2012
Nelson, NZ
“Friendly spot”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Owner always friendly and very good table service. Great pizzas, pasta and mussels. Popular for family groups.

Visited October 2012