“Friendly, excellent food and value”

The Hot Rock Gourmet Pizza Pasta Bar
Ranked #91 of 180 Restaurants in Nelson
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Healthy, New Zealand
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Welcome to the home of award-winning gourmet pizza in Nelson. Excite your tastebuds with our special wood-fired pizzas, be entertained by our lively atmosphere and treat yourself to a great night at The Hot Rock! Perfect for sharing with friends, or the whole family - we look forward to hosting you...
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had a takeaway but will return for a sit down meal and more takeaways. The helpful, obliging and friendly staff were a pleasure to meet, and the choice from the menu was difficult to choose from. Thoroughly recommended. I had a pizza with my own selection of toppings, delicious and thin and crispy even after transportation for 5 minutes. Salad fresh with a lovely balsamic dressing.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We were just looking for something simple but we were blown away by some great pizza and great service.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Our order was a takeaway. I think whoever made the pizza dough forgot to add the yeast.
3 standard pizza's which cost $55.50, shared between 1 Adult & 2 children, the kids ate almost the lot, I managed to get 1 wedge, they were still hungry when it was all gone. Unbelievable base......it was like eating a thin piece of hard toast with a savoury topping.
These were not pizza's.
Without sounding arrogant I would like to add that my husband is Italian and we spent 4mths in Northern Italy last year and again the year before. While in Italy we eat pizza often when out with family so are fairly familiar with this fare.

1  Thank KayC639
Ray W, Owner at The Hot Rock Gourmet Pizza Pasta Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Hi Kay. I recall serving you, your husband and two children. You ordered one small gluten-free Kids pizza, one small gluten-free Fowl Play pizza (no cheese but added nuts) and one small Southern Man pizza which you all had dine-in, not takeaway. A Kids pizza would normally feed one child so it doesn't surprise me they needed more. Similarly most men will eat a large pizza, we say, serves one to two people. You are correct, the recipe of our thin-base gluten-free pizza is yeast-free as most yeast products contains gluten. If you are a coeliac you will know that the texture of most gluten-free products cannot be compared to the same product containing gluten. My partner is a coeliac and regularly compares our gluten-free products favourably against others available and we serve many repeat coeliac customers who are satisfied with our gluten-free offerings. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Good Food and very friendly staff. Loved it. Was money well spent. Definitely one of the best pizzas in NZ

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I can only say that the pizza is extremely over priced and under topped. They are very small with hardly any topping, little flavor and a huge price tag. I see a response saying your pizza compares in price to the likes of Winnie Bagoes, true, but the quality is worlds apart. I hate leaving feeling hungry and disappointed.

1  Thank tony m
Ray W, Owner at The Hot Rock Gourmet Pizza Pasta Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Hi Tony. We're struggling to understand your review. You say they are very small - we clearly publicise the sizes - 9"/22cm and 12"/30cm - generally accepted sizes for small and large gourmet pizzas. As for the toppings we are currently serving around 100 customers a night, all without complaint. Most guys struggle to eat our large pizza. If there was a problem why did you not bring this to the attention of your server or our management? And without actually seeing your pizza we regret that we are unable to address your view.