“The best market ever.”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The best market ever.”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Nelson Saturday market is just wonderful. It's full of arts and crafts and fantastic food. The term, 'Arts and crafts' doesn't really paint the right picture. The artists here are serious artists selling their art at relatively very reasonable prices. You'd find most of the pottery, paintings,prints, fine art, clothes, sculptures, silversmithing, metal working, cabinet making, stone and wood carving, glass making, weaving, quilting, lacemaking, clockmaking, topiary designs, jewellery etc etc, in top end galleries and shops around the country and around the world. so buying direct from the artist in the sunny city of Nelson at half the price, is a pretty nice experience. The list of crafts isn't exhaustive but it would be exhausting to mention every type of art here in Nelson market.

I haven't even touched on the fresh produce, plants and food available. Whenever I'm over that side of the world visiting my childhood city, I wait for Saturday to go here and stock up on fresh meats and veg. I usually buy plenty of fresh venison and have a big meal for friends and family. If they haven't got wild boar or whatever it is you're after, they'll take your order and phone you when they've been out and got one. That's fresh! There are food wagons everywhere with seating around them for you to sit in the sun, (the sun always shines in Nelson), eat some tasty food and watch the world go by. If you're after second hand stuff, you're better off going up the road to Mapua market, but more of that on another review.

And of course us Kiwis are very friendly people! I am by birth British and live in Blighty, so I feel I can say nice stuff about New Zealanders and places in New Zealand.

If you're travelling to NZ, Nelson is a great place to visit. However many Greek beaches I visit, the NZ ones still can't be beaten. Nelson is called 'The sun city of the South' and really does have it's own micro climate. Be sure to visit if your there and say hi to my dad if you see him!

Visited March 2012
2 Thank 1michael02

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cooks Beach
9 attraction reviews
“Great range of stalls”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A work collegue who lived in Nelson recommended this. I had a great time walking around the different stalls, I was most struck by the different types of food, from homemade marshmallows (which were yummy), homecured bacon, sausages, great cheese stalls which were very reasonable priced. Excellent fresh fruit and vege's - my kids were asking to have another apple! There was also lots of lovely crafts for sale. Great place to spend a morning - definatly have your breakfast or lunch here.

Visited July 2012
Geelong, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great community spirit”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The market was recommended to us by a waiter at a local cafe. We ended up buying a few things, and enjoyed walking around the market and soaking in the community spirit. Worth it if you're in the area on Saturday.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Peronel_T
Micco, Florida
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A super Saturday (Farmer's Market)”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We were there a couple of weeks ago and loved this market in Nelson. A must if you are there on a Saturday. We sampled tons of things, bought presents to take home, ate excellent Mexican fod and had a great time. Only regret is that I did not buy one of the unique skirts offered at several of the stalls. Do not miss this on your way around NZ.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank FLtravel0330
Stockport, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Nelson's art-n-craft on show at local fleamarket”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

High on your Nelson visit must be the Nelson Saturday Morning Fleamarket.
Be prepared: it excites all your senses; they go into over-drive as the sights, sounds and smells surround you in this vibrant Nelson icon.
It’s held outdoors, in Montgomery Square, in the centre of the city and attracts thousands each Saturday morning, rain or shine all year round. Stalls are usually ready for opening around 7 or 8am and they close down after midday, around 1 pm so the best time to go is mid-morning.
It’s the ideal place to see the local work of artisans, some who have moved to Nelson province and create beautiful works all over Nelson/Tasman districts so when you walk into the vast Saturday Morning Market you can expect to buy unique gifts, mementos of your Sunny Nelson visit.
Fleamarket visitors stroll around hundreds of stalls to peruse, buy or just to appreciate the quality of local art-n-craft including paintings, card-making, pottery, glass-works, wood-carving, bead jewellery, knitting local-spun yarn, sculptures, designer clothes, weaving; produce, flowers and plants; gourmet food including honey, cheeses, bread, nuts, locally-grown fruit and vegetables, as well as general things like sun hats, knives, soaps, kites, there’s even massage mini-clinics, furniture, second-hand item stalls, brightened up by entertaining buskers - as well as quirky food-carts with seating so people can sit, chat and watch the Fleamarket visitors go by – an ideal place to pick up a Nelson souvenir.
The Saturday morning fleamarket is a window on Nelson: it’s been going for many years now, so when I am in my home-town I go as often as I can. I take all my visitors because it is a kaleidoscope of Nelson; a good mix of provincial ‘’alternative life-style’’ craft, more conservative handiwork and even the local MP sometimes has his caravan there to keep in touch with the electorate.
Once, a long time ago I went with my fellow members of a local committee and we raised funds for our non-profit sporting group and it really was a lot of fun and while we raised a tidy sum for the kitty we also raised awareness of Special Olympics and the sports they are offered.
The Saturday morning Nelson Fleamarket is a meeting place, be sure to allow enough time to see the stalls, have a coffee or a light meal, have a chat to friends or if you are a visitor feel free to talk to the stall-holders because in most cases the wares they are offering for sale will be their own handiwork.
There are fleamarkets, farmers’ markets and other markets all over the world but the Saturday morning Nelson Fleamarket stands out as one of the best you’ll see – Nelson welcomes you, the fleamarket will add to your visitor experience. Yes !

Visited February 2012