“Good but not great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 170 Restaurants in Nelson
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Good honest local cuisine, served in a casual environment.
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Visited this restaurant on the basis of a strong recommendation by a local resident. We had an enjoyable dinner but it fell short of my expectations. The place is advertized as 'bar and restaurant'. We arrived early to have a cocktail but were declined because they don't have a bartender or even the basic liquor available to make a martini. I ordered a rare steak but was told that the steaks were served 'medium-rare' - implying that they are precooked. My steak was nice but not served rare to my liking. We enjoyed our meal and would certainly visit again, but next time with lower expectations. It is at the higher end of restaurants we have visited in Nelson but its a way off what I would recognize as fine dining.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank JoDubaiUae

• Korean first
“Fine Dining in Nelson CBD, NZ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This restaurant came highly recommended to me by a local Nelsonian whom I was sitting next to on the plane ride down. It is a highly rated restaurant and has won several prizes so I did have high expectations for it. The food was indeed excellent but certainly quite pricey. The menu is divided into "Appetisers", "Entrees" and "Mains". I would liken the appetiser section more to tapas where the items were small and were meant to be ordered individually, eg a single pulled pork roll or a single oyster. Each of those single items was at least $6, usually $6.95 each. So I ordered 2 separate individual items for my "entreee", and then the entree section had slightly bigger portions from which I ordered an exquisite Blue Cheese Souffle with Julienne apples; but it was in fact quite small even though the price was $21.95; so I still ended up having to order dessert because I wasn't anywhere near full.

My son ordered an entree, no "appetiser", plus a Main of pork belly which was exquisite as well though not very big; but all the mains were >$35; and he had the same dessert as I had. Well, the dessert actually was one of the best desserts I've ever had anywhere: it was a dark chocolate mousse in a shell of very thin, very fine dark chocolate on a brownie base sitting in some delish berry coulis and accompanied by a very small ball of outstanding peanut butter ice cream.

So, in summary, yes the food was of a very high quality but it was not exactly generous portion-wise, and it certainly was quite expensive costing $139 for the two of us. I should add that my son had a particularly yummy feijoa cider as well.

1 Thank Janieworth
Nelson, New Zealand
“Great, but what's the deal with food sensitivities?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Booked well ahead, told them about food sensitivities, one person lactose intolerant, two gluten free - but on the night there was no effort to cater to our needs. They just took food off the plate - but charged us the same price. This standard of restaurant could make more effort I think, disappointing.

• Visited June 2014
West Coast
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went for tea with a small group after hearing it was number one in NZ. Wouldn't rate it as the best place I've eaten in NZ but was still very good. Lovely meals and good service. Tried a variety of dishes between us and everyone was happy. Only thing I'd say is the bathrooms could do with an upgrade - nothing wrong but don't match the standard of the restaurant. Will be back.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Location of this place is quite central. Service is really friendly. Good dinning atmosphere.

I like how delicate their food looks. The size is also good.

Chocolate mousse is my favorite.