“What a great adventure!!!”

The Gentle Cycling Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Self-guided half day, full day and multi-day bike hire and tours on and around the Great Taste Cycle Trail. Explore vineyards, craft breweries, cafes, historic villages, beaches and beautiful rural landscapes in Nelson, the Craft Brewing Capital of NZ.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a great adventure!!!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Rose, thanks for this one of kind experience. After this, my wife and I are seriously considering getting ourselves into biking. Last night, my wife and I were giggling between ourselves thinking, what have we put up our parents to--my dad who's 60 and mom who last drove a bike 20 yrs ago? Even my 3yo, who rode with me, loved it! Would certainly recommend this as this is seeing Nelson in a different way!

Also would like to recommend Richard of Lighthouse brewery for a very warm, fun and informative mini-tour. Cafe in Waimea Estate was also great with very helpful staff and good food.

Again, thanks Rose. See you on the bike track!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Rodolf Kim C

Sydney, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Magic”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We did the 7 k flat tour of three Brewery's.
Rose is fantastic host, picked up from our hotel, all fitted out with our maps and we enjoyed the ride and the hospitality from the Brewery's .
Lunch was more than adequate, would highly recommend this tour in Nelson.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Anne2578
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun for everyone”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I do not have enough good things to say about the gentle cycling company. My husband and I knew we wanted to visit some of the local vineyards while in Nelson, and when we found out there was an actual trail, we were sold on doing it via bicycle. While you could rent bikes from other shops, they do not offer the same services that the gentle cycling company does, and their rates are higher. Rose gives you a multitude of maps, and highlights different routes to take, which is necessary. She also has a board in her shop that lists which vineyards are open and during what hours. Since they're relatively spread out that info was very helpful!
The ride itself was beautiful. We chose to do a freedom ride, and took the bikes out at 10:30 am. The trail is FLAT, anyone can do it, and the bikes were extremely comfortable. I loved how they each came with a basket which was conveniently large enough to fit 2 bottles of wine :-)

We enjoyed our day so much, we did not get back to our hotel until 5:00pm. We prearranged to keep the bikes overnight for a small fee since we did not have a rental car. We rode the bikes into town at night from Tahunanui Beach, which was also a very scenic ride. Rose went as far as to pick the bikes up on her way to the shop the next morning which saved us a cab ride fee. It was very sweet of her, and went far above any expected customer service.
Overall a great experience, beautiful views, great wine, light exercise all for a very affordable rate.

2 Thank MrsSgtParmesean
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Brewery Tour”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is my all time favourite tour company. My partner and I did the Brewery tour and the breweries we went to had amazing beers, really enjoyed Bays Brewery the beer is so good!!! and well the Lighthouse, need I say more the owner is fantastic so welcoming we really didnt want to leave.

The stoke tour, wow they showed us so much on the processing of beer it was just fantastic - it's a must book!!

3 Thank Addict2travel
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What a lovely jaunt”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Some of the best customer service we've encountered. Thank you so much! A lovely day spent cruising round Nelson and its best cafes and vineyards. What could be better. Wendy will sort you out for recommendations and good touring advice. Love the sheep shearing station turned bike hire outfit. Great bikes too!!! A must-do if you're in the area!

1 Thank WeloveNZ