This was a business trip, one of many I make around NZ so I guess I am commneting on what you would normally expect in NZ accommodation.
1. The staff were warm, friendly and polite.
2. However, I did not figure that the apartments were part of a backpackers complex which created some additional factors I had not expected such as arriving at the entrance on foot and reading that the entrance to the apartments was at a different entrance so I walked around to this entrance on another street. Then the reception at that entrance had no one at it so you call them and walk back to where I was originally. I'd prepayed through wotif but they began insisting I hadn't paid - an important note, always take your Wotif voucher for these types of places.
3. The Apartment rooms themselves are fantastic. Really nicely done and no complaints on that front. The location is also quiet.
4. Fire evacuation procedures are a bit of a worry - the fire alarms went off around 9.30 10PM so I left my room and went to the evacuation assembly location along with all the other guests. No staff arrived. In the end somone called staff on the reception phone outside the 'never attended reception'- it turns out staff at reception had no idea the alarms were going off in our apartment side of the accommodations. They did came over quickly and then discoved that in fact one room was full of smoke and no doubt close to bursting into flames.
I saw no hi-viz vests so who knows who was in charge. There was no check or head count. There was some fluster about where the fire extinguishers were. We were then all casually told by someone that we could go back into our rooms. The fire brigade arrived about 15 minutes later. None of this process was reassuring.
5. Breakfast was provided as part of the backpackers complex, but I would say if you are used to hotel/motel breakfasts, while it is free, it is a backpackers style. I was OK with it, but it was certainly backpacker style.
Summary - just not sure if I'd stay here again. Good value for price, but if I want to stay in a backpacker complex I will and have done so. If I want an apartment style, I want that.
The fire process needs review.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Paradiso Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.