“Mixed Experience”

Paradiso Apartments
Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This was a business trip, one of many I make around NZ so I guess I am commneting on what you would normally expect in NZ accommodation.
1. The staff were warm, friendly and polite.
2. However, I did not figure that the apartments were part of a backpackers complex which created some additional factors I had not expected such as arriving at the entrance on foot and reading that the entrance to the apartments was at a different entrance so I walked around to this entrance on another street. Then the reception at that entrance had no one at it so you call them and walk back to where I was originally. I'd prepayed through wotif but they began insisting I hadn't paid - an important note, always take your Wotif voucher for these types of places.
3. The Apartment rooms themselves are fantastic. Really nicely done and no complaints on that front. The location is also quiet.
4. Fire evacuation procedures are a bit of a worry - the fire alarms went off around 9.30 10PM so I left my room and went to the evacuation assembly location along with all the other guests. No staff arrived. In the end somone called staff on the reception phone outside the 'never attended reception'- it turns out staff at reception had no idea the alarms were going off in our apartment side of the accommodations. They did came over quickly and then discoved that in fact one room was full of smoke and no doubt close to bursting into flames.
I saw no hi-viz vests so who knows who was in charge. There was no check or head count. There was some fluster about where the fire extinguishers were. We were then all casually told by someone that we could go back into our rooms. The fire brigade arrived about 15 minutes later. None of this process was reassuring.
5. Breakfast was provided as part of the backpackers complex, but I would say if you are used to hotel/motel breakfasts, while it is free, it is a backpackers style. I was OK with it, but it was certainly backpacker style.
Summary - just not sure if I'd stay here again. Good value for price, but if I want to stay in a backpacker complex I will and have done so. If I want an apartment style, I want that.
The fire process needs review.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Paradiso Apartments

Reviewed 30 July 2013

A lovely warm, sunny location. The room was very clean and was serviced daily by a very friendly housekeeper. The motel is located near to Founder Park, which is definitely worth a visit and we also walked up to the centre of NZ to take in the stunning views. Overall our stay was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have stayed here on business a few times now as they offer great corporate rates. The free wifi is very fast and reliable. The units are always clean and the staff are always very welcoming and friendly. I will continue to stay here on my next business trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Dear travellers, I am writing this review so that future travellers do not get caught in a trap like I did. The story so far...It was my first time travelling to Nelson and I found Paradiso, the lady on the phone advised me that they are only 5min walk to city centre, but when we got there it was nowhere near that. If I had taken the room, it would take 20min to walk to city carrying a 1 year old baby. When I changed my mind about the place, as they said there is no cancellation fee. Then 5 days later when I had left Nelson, I got charged $99, and when I call they say that they are not available and the receptionist takes a message and says she'll pass it on and the boss will call you back. UNFORTUNATELY......IT NEVER HAPPENED!!! so the moral of the story is...If You Want To Get ROBBED Go To PARADISO!! oh and by the way I was informed by the Nelson Motel Association that they are not registered as a Motel, as the council did not approve their building.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed here with my brother for two nights in a twin and it was perfect. Really friendly staff and a clean, comfortable stay. Everything was within walking distance which was ideal. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed in one of the lower units, and it was fine. Comfortable twin beds, large tele, tea and coffee plus microwave. The bathroom fan wasn't powerful enought to cope with the steam after two showers so it was a little damp, but no an issue unless you planned to live there.

It was a quiet location, 10minutes walk to town and a two minute walk to the nearest pub (a sprig and firkin). The staff were friendly and obliging, letting us leave our bags in a motel room while we explored in the last day.

Recommended for a budget friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms six to ten are on the upper level and have a balcony along the front you can relax on. Howeve...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

When my partner stumbled across this motel I wasn't so sure for only $99 was it going to be upto standard?
I was proved very wrong! This is a fantastic hideaway right near the centre of Nelson amazing clean tidy Nd spacious rooms.
Free WiFi, breakfast and use of the spa, sauna & swimming pool. I felt guilty how wee payed so little for so much!
Will recommend to others and hope to be back one day, Thanks for a amazing stay

• Stayed: May 2013