“close to city”

Ranked #12 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Nelson
tokoroa
“close to city”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Almond House was a great place to stay, one and half blocks to walk to our conference. Really great gardens etc on the way Staff are friendly and helpful rooms clean and tidy. Priced right for our budget. Shuttle took us to and fro from air port. complementary bikes. loved the fact that Tea and coffee available also a microwave. staying in Nelson recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 September 2013

spent 4 weeks at Almond House and enjoyed every minute. Fiona has lots of great advice on what to do in the area and makes you feel welcome. it is an easy 5-10 minute walk into town, close to shops, bars and restaurants in a quiet neighbourhood.
the rooms are spotless, clean and really comfy. lots of storage, bedside lamps, plenty of plugs, free wifi. shared facilities are fantastic too and always kept super clean.
both kitchens are superb and everything u need is in it. Did lots of baking here :-)
the lounge has a lovely fireplace and lots of space to relax and have a chat.
loved Missy the cat!
will always come back here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kaikohe, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 June 2013

A group of four of us stayed at Almond house in Feb/March 2013. It was a great experience. This backpackers is quiet, clean, and extremely friendly. It is so close to the main shopping area and central city. Their loan bicyles were a great help to us!! Despite having to change our booking several times the staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. We are returning to Nelson again in Feb/March 2014 and will definitely stay here if we can get a booking. Thank you Peter, Fiona and Staff. Howie and Vicki

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Almond House became my home away from home while I was living in New Zealand. The facilities are FANTASTIC and Paul and Fiona (and the kids!) are really welcoming and ready to assist in any way they can. I was a long term resident here and I loved every minute of it! You get a wide range of travellers who stay here, so it's not focused on just the younger crowd. The place was always kept clean and there was always space for everyone to hang out together or do their own thing. The location is perfect too; only a short walk to the city center and to many nice walks and hikes around the area.

And out of all the backpackers I've stayed at, this is by far my favorite. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Scott B
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed a few nights here in a double room in the main house. From the moment I arrived, I was made to feel welcome by Fiona, and the whole place just oozed class and comfort.

The bedroom was spacious and spotless with plenty of storage. The bed was large and extremely comfortable. The shared bathroom was also kept immaculate.

There is a lovely modern kitchen area, with a relaxing lounge section opening out onto the terrace and the cosy back garden. There is a PC with free internet available in the lounge / kitchen and WiFi is also available.

Parking is free on the road, but there is plenty of space and it's perfectly safe.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank leemwarren
Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I arrived late in Nelson and I saw Almond House in the BBH. I gave them a rang and it was no problem for me to come. They gave me the choice to sleep in the main house or in the backyard/garden house. I took the last one for 2 nights and I have noooooo regrets! The backyard was big but also cozy. I had the, really good equiped, kitchen/livingroom for myself and I could play music without bothering anyone. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was in really good condition. The owners from the Almond House were really nice and friendly! I really do recommend this hostel/house, I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Bargara, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The best backpackers I have stayed at in New Zealand to date. Spacious, comfortable, clean, quiet, plenty of amenities including hammocks in back courtyard and free internet/wi-fi. Fiona is a lovely and helpful host. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends