“One of the best backpackers”

and 1 more site!
Almond House Backpackers
Ranked #13 of 44 Speciality Lodging in Nelson
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed twice at Almond house during my stay in New Zealand and really enjoyed it. It is small, quiet, clean and has free unlimited wifi (rare in New Zealand). It is a bit of a phenomenon that even if it is fully booked you hardly spot other guests in the communal areas (maybe because of the two kitchens).
Highly recommended if you appreciate a relaxed accommodation near the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel. It was spotlessly clean. I managed to get a single bed in a corner room at the back in the accommodation block.

The owners were very nice and helpful with really useful local information. I chose this based on previous reviews on Tripadvisor. I was glad I did.

The garden area is very nice. There are plenty of places to chose from to sit outside when the sun is out. The inside living areas are also pretty nice and relaxed.

Kitchens have plenty of storage space and everything you need to make the place comfortable. I have recommended this place to other people I have met on my trip along the west coast of New Zealand.

I would stay here again if I was back in Nelson.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights at Almond House in a single room which actually had 2 bunks. The bed was comfortable and although at the front of the house was quiet and peaceful. The communal areas were lovely, clean and well looked after with a nice garden. Free computer, phone calls and wifi without messing about with vouchers. Staff were friendly and efficient. A very high standard of hostel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Fiona L, Owner at Almond House Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thanks very much for your review - so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Safe travels.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My friend visiting from overseas and I stayed here for 1 night in a private room with 2 single beds, shared bathroom 2 doors away. We were both most pleased. The linens were the nicest we've seen in a hostel. The courtyard was a lovely place to enjoy breakfast and an evening meal. The kitchen met our needs. Check-in was easy, and the showers were great. Will come again (soon in fact!). A few off-street parking spaces are available, but fill quickly. Easy 10 minute walk to the largest grocery market in town. Quiet, residential neighborhood.

Room Tip: Couldn't speak more highly of the beds, linens and simple yet enjoyable decor in the 2-single pr...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Almond House was my favorite backpacker hostel in New Zealand. It had everything necessary for a pleasnant, peaceful stay. First of all, it is reasonably small, so there is plenty of room for everybody to have their own space. The 2 kitchens are well-appointed to meet everyone's culinary desires. The price of admission includes all services from towels to internet. There are no extra charges. My wife and I found this refreshing, since most hostels charge for anything extra. The rooms are spotless. They are decorated with artwork form local artists. The quality of guests is high; because Fionna, one of the owners, instructs her staff to rent rooms only to people with whom they would be comfortable. This keeps out the drifters and other undesirables. The backyard has tables with awnings to relax and escape the relentless sun. In short Almond House has everything necessary for a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable stay. Whenever, I return to Nelson; I will call ahead and book Almond House.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Really loved my time in Almond House. A charming hostel, just the right size, not too big or too small. It holds two very well equipped kitchens so plenty of space to cook which I found to be a problem in other hostels on my travels.
The owners Fiona and Paul were so lovely as well as the lovely friendly cat that resides there too. Super close to town and all the action of Nelson. Free bikes and free wifi a huge bonus too.
Would recommend it to anyone coming to Nelson!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It was a joy to spend time at Almond House Backpackers. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, despite the fact that we arrived hours before the normal check in time. Our private room was quiet and comfortable and the communal showers and kitchen were clean and well equipped. The garden is a great place to read a book in the sunshine and - once you've relaxed - central Nelson is only a short walk away. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends