“Good Italian Food”
Review of When In Rome - CLOSED

When In Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: At When In Rome we take pride in making our own pastas, pizzas, breads and sauces. Following traditional Italian methods and using only the best locally produced or Italian ingredients, we strive to take you on a magical culinary journey. A great meal is not only about great food and wine. A great meal is an emotional journey, enriched by the warmth of company, comfort of ambience, and caring service.That is why at When In Rome you are the most important guest.That is why our chefs are obsessive about culinary perfection and fundamental techniques passed on by generations to deliver the very best from the earth to your table. No detail or element can be less or more important than the other.A great meal is not the one that fills you up but the one that returns you to the sources of pleasure you may have forgotten and takes your senses to places they have never been before.
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We had dinner early in the day, so were the only ones in the restaurant. We must have caught the waitress by surprise because it took a heads up from the kitchen to notice us and get us seated. No big deal, we were not in a hurry.

We ordered the mussel starter, then the spaghetti with prosciutto and mushrooms and a "Augustus" pizza with added basil.

The mussels were nice, the sauce was delicious. Could have done with more than two small slices of bread to soak it all up.

The pasta dish was very good, well balanced seasoning and just the right serving size. The different kinds of mushrooms were tasty and the sauce on the money - not too heavy on the cream and very flavourful.

The pizza was great as well, nice and thin base, just the right amount of topping. A nice example how something simple with limited ingredients can be great when done right.

Altogether the food was excellent, but a few small things prevent me from giving a perfect 5 star rating. Prices were reasonable. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I came here on a busy Saturday night as a walk in and the very good maitre d found us a table and warned us of a 25 minute wait before orders could be taken. Nice to get a warning and he was bang on with the time. However, there wasn't a warning about the 90 minute wait between starter (fantastic margarita pizza!) and the mains (tasty and good value). Our drinks were running a bit low and I was starving by the end, and noticed two other very grumpy tables. I really love that these guys make their own pasta and I know that good food takes time, but some better communication to customers would help. I was seated close enough to the kitchen to notice some poor communication between front of house and kitchen staff, and also listen to someone in the kitchen with a very productive cough. I am sure my food was safe, but not the most pleasant thing to listen to through your meal!
All in all, great food, nice atmosphere (at the front), I will see how others find the timing situation before I return.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Very good service. The price was just right and the food was very good. The desert was a delight and made of chocolate heaven!
Just what you need to end a meal

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Absolutely delicious! We went in without a reservation and were given a table but was warned that there was at least a 45min waiting time. It ended being a 90 min wait but was well worth it. I had the prosciutto and mushroom pasta and my husband the verdure pizza and we enjoyed every morsel of food!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Quality here was a little variable but the one dish that was outstanding was the gnochi. It was home made, silky smooth and just melted. I would go back for that alone! Mains were varied and unfortunately the veal chop was tough and I think had been frozen (although getting fresh veal in NZ is very difficult.) An interesting wine list with a few aged reds that are worth sampling. In keeping with other reviews service can be slow but if you are waiting for gnochi it is worth it.