“Competent and well located”

Rutherford Hotel Nelson
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Brisbane, Australia
“Competent and well located”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed just the one night in May 2012. We were greeted promptly and our car parked for us (free if I recall correctly), and received a courteous and professional check in. Once the formalities were completed we were told about the market that takes place just a couple of blocks away on Saturday mornings - genuinely interested staff member. After settling into our room we walked toward the nearby restaurant precinct and ran into an old work colleague who is in Nelson several times per year, and the Rutherford is his first choice. Our room faced toward the Cathedral (see photo) which is lit at night and was a charming sight. The other photo with this review is of the city, and the market is in the open area halfway to the horizon. Ours was an 'executive room' on an upper floor. It was spotless and everything was most satisfactory. I thought the $190 NZD tariff was fair value for the location and quality. Bear in mind that this a city hotel and not a resort and it fits the bill very well.

Room Tip: An upper floor and facing the Cathedral would be my pick.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Tasmania
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I spent 2 nights in a room overlooking the park nursing a broken foot before getting medical clearance to fly home. Bed was super comfortable with quality linen, the bathroom was spotless and the climate control was easily adjustable to the temperature I like. None of this looked dated or tired to me but some of the corridor doors could have done with a bit of new varnish. LCD TV with a limited sky service. I ordered room service for lunch and the BLT was ok but would have been better if they had used a nice crusty roll rather than plain old wholemeal bread. I had a steak for one evening meal and this was properly cooked and well presented but a tad on the small side. I had the beer battered fish and prawns for another evening meal and was dissapointed by the oily tasting batter. Room service breakfasts were fine but pretty expensive really. Extensive wine list....! Staff I met were helpful, polite and tidy.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numorous times over the years. It is located close to the town centre, has a bar, 2 Restaurants and a coffee bar.

The rooms have been refurbished over the years and are quite comfortable to stay in. We ate in the Ociana Restuarant in the evening and the following morning for breakfast. The evening meal was quite good actually with prompt service but possibly that may have been because there was only one other person in the entire Restuarant. Breakfast was fine, standard fare and good service.

One thing did really bug me and frankly may stop me staying again is that this is an establishment that insists on charging an additional fee (1.5% if I recall) for using a credit card. In my opinion this is the night of greediness. As I paid for dinner that evening hosting some friends and colleagues my bill was +$500 and to then be charged for paying the bill is unacceptable..

This is becoming a creeping issue with New Zealand hotels and I am afraid in my small way I will continue to blacklist such hotels by adding them to my list of "don't go back on principle" hotels

1 Thank Mike1811027
Auckland
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Felt dated and tired - definitley in need of a facelift. Stayed there 2 nights for a conference experienced elevator problems on at least a couple of occasions - wait staff in Oceano restaurant could have been better at brekfast time - if they werent going to evident or attentive for serving corffee and tea, then leave the facilites out for guests to help themselves!

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I can't understand why the official New Zealand rating of this hotel is 4.5 stars? I have stayed in Holiday Inn's that were more impressive. It appears that they may be in the process of updating. The rooms look ok, the rest of the hotel needs new carpet in a bad way. It feels really dated.

I came back to the hotel from an incredible dinner at Hopgoods downtown craving a little desert. On my way back to the room I stopped in the Oceano Restaurant on the 2nd floor to order the recommended Flourless Belgian Chocolate Cake. With my sweet tooth ready I sat with excitement and anticipation waiting for my desert. In good time i saw the waitress walk around the corner, with out hesitation or delay i dove in for my first bite. disappointment. Oh well, i guess you win some and you loose some.

As someone that travels a lot I try to make as many healthy choices as possible, breakfast is a great time to do this. I often like to order myself a omelet with one protien, bacon, salmon or ham. add in as many veggies as possible, Spinach, onions, sprouts, or whatever they may have in the kitchen, i leave it pretty open for the chef to add his creative improvements. I have had a lot of success with this, i have been blown away many times. I think its a pretty reasonable request. The Rutherford brought me and empty omelet (browned) with a small side of carrots, brockley, and deep fried hash browns. I ate the veggies, politely let the waitress know i was disappointed, said thank you and went on with my day.

Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just back tonight from a business trip to Nelson, where I stayed in the Rutherford!!!

We arrived from Hamiton at approx 11am and to our surprise were able to check in immediately, which was great!! The room was very clean, well equiped, the bathroom was great and had a bath which was a bonus!! Be aware...do read the instructions on operating the air con ....and once you turn them on just be patient...they do go and go well.

Ate at both restuarants and the food/service was excellent!!! Breakfast was also good!!!

the staff were helpful, the hotel well maintained and very central to the city...4min walk and hello you are in town!!

The bed was very comfortable in my room (had a single and queen bed), as I dislike air con when sleeping was happy to see opening windows...which we did not need....as it was freezing!! There were extra blankets which were great and also dressing gowns which I love.

The view from my room was pretty ave....but I don't spend a lot of time looking out the
window!!

Would stay again!

Room Tip: Stayed at 405...was great, view not fantastic if that is important to you!!!
Pukekohe Rural
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This is a Heritage Hotel in Nelson, New Zealand and aside from the older nature of the hotel (which is most pleasant), one of the bonuses (for me) was the ability to walk up and down "proper carpeted stairs" between floors PLUS being able to open a window in my well appointed, spotlessly clean room. I mention this because I am so tired of endless waiting for lifts especially if I only wish to go down three or four flights.

The room was a "superior" and had a great bathroom (with a bath!!!) and the beds (king plus large single) were wonderful. Others in my group complained about their temperature settings in their room, but the way I set mine was perfect, so perhaps that just means they have had less experience than me???

Everything one would expect was available at this hotel including a short time for free wifi (this was only available in the lobby), but the biggest surprise was breakfast. Had I wanted continental, the basics were available but the price was "top-notch" for minimal choice. Where was all the fruit? Certainly this was May (late Autumn, early Winter) and so I can understand diminished choices of raw fruit, but that does not excuse the lack of all the other available choices. Toast and cereals is not what I call a 'continental breakfast' for their prices. The "full breakfast" at 0815 hrs was more expensive but had virtually all disappeared at that hour. (Yes, I know that I could have tarried and maybe extra food would have arrived but the whole point is that I ought not to have to wait for a breakfast at this time of day. At least not in my experience with "up-market hotels" knowingly catering for big numbers). I could not be bothered even trying the following morning...

Nevertheless, in all other respects, I was delighted with my stay and on the basis that the breakfast was possibly an unusual "short-staff" issue, I fully intend to return there and enjoy all the wonderful aspects of its position in the town/city.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business