“Not quite a backpacker hostel”
Review of Trampers Rest

Trampers Rest
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nelson
Trampers Rest
Ranked #28 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Nelson
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I have mixed views about this place which was friendly, clean and comfortable but also very clearly a rather cramped family home with very little outdoors space - indeed most of it was below a constantly full washing line. The barbecue could only be used if plenty notice was given to get it ready and if several people wanted to use it, and there was a small child wandering around most of the time. The small kitchen felt crowded at mealtimes and I was glad I didn't have the "room" which was really just a tiny conservatory off the sitting room. It would be fairer to call this place a bed and breakfast because it often felt as though we were intruding on family space. That being said, the host Piri was very nice and made a big effort to cope with conflicting pressures. We stayed two nights and made full use of the free bikes and wifi.

Room Tip: Check if you're being offered the sittingroom conservatory. It's tiny and could be noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

We spent the Christmas days in this tiny hostel with only eight beds in total. The hosts Alan and his wife Piri made us feel as a part of the family and celebrated Christmas with us. We had two great days and a lot of fun!

The hostel is very clean, the kitchen has everything you need for cooking and baking, there is free WiFi and no bunk beds.

Alan is always happy to give advice about tramping and travelling and knows his way around NZ very well.

It was lovely spending this Christmas in the hostel! It really is a come-back-destination!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This hostel is a great option if you're looking for a quiet place to stay. It's essentially a house converted into a hostel which means you'll feel more like you're staying with a friend than at a hostel. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are nice. The only thing to be aware of is that if you're looking for a place with more of a party atmosphere then this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Unfortunately I spent there only one night. I really enjoyed my stay. The BBH hostel is very clean, cosy and friendly. I spent the night in a single room which was not really a room itself but as the hostel does not have many rooms it was very quiet. I had a wonderful night and slept like a baby - loved it.
If you ever come to Nelson please stay there. I totally felt like at home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed in. Home from home. We had mostly stayed in camp sites so this was the perfect cosy retreat. The owners made us feel so welcome and introduced everyone straight away so it was the perfect place to exchange advise on where to travel in NZ. Loved the room we stayed in- big brass bed looking out onto an avocado tree. So comfortable. Complementary cake too! The owners went out of their way to give us advise on how we should travel around the South Island and it was absolutely invaluable as it shaped the rest of our trip. Loved my time there and they even waved us off.

Room Tip: The private double with the big brass bed. Best sleep I'd had in ages.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed in this hostel for five nights, from the 20th to the 24th February 2012. It was an excellent place to stay. It's very clean, homely and a great place to meet up with other travelers. The owners, Allan and Piri, were extremely helpful and gave us lots of tips and advice with our travel itinerary and very willingly answered any questions we had. It felt like home. The kitchen and living room are open and welcome places in the house for everyone to congregate and chat. I had a single room and the bed was really comfortable and it was so nice at the end of the day to collapse into that comfy bed. Heaven! The hostel is only 5 minutes walk from the town centre but also quiet, so you can get a good night's sleep. I loved this hostel. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Great location, 5 minutes from town, in a homely setting.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Martina M
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The Tramperst Rest is a fantastic, small (probably the smallest hostel all over New Zealand) and very homely hostel near the city centre of Nelson. The owners are very friendly and amazingly helpful. If you want to go tramping anywhere in New Zealand this is the perfect place to get some professional advice. Apart from that the Trampers Rest is a perfect place to visit Nelson or relax somewhere in the homely villa or in the cosy, small garden.

The owners will introduce you to everyone else in the hostel to make sure you will have a perfect stay. I am sure you will have it! I cannot comprehend even one of the negative aspects which are mentioned in the first review. I had never problems with the facilities and the owners are great people. Some rooms might be small but the atmosphere is just awesome at this place. You will feel as if you are at home!

If you have been here once you never want to leave this place again! I can absolutely recommend this hostel! You will have a great time!

• Stayed: January 2012