“More than a Hostel - Feels like staying at friends”
Review of Trampers Rest

Trampers Rest
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nelson
Trampers Rest
Ranked #29 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Nelson
Reviewed 3 January 2013

An amazing little place which makes you feel like home!!!! BUT BOOK IN ADVANCED!!!
Piri, Alan & Jamie are great hosts with always a smile on their faces. Arriving there and being welcomed makes already the difference. You getting a beautiful tour around the small cozy guesthouse and you being introduced to all people are staying at that moment (there is a board with all the names in the kitchen as well - very easy to remember all names). There is always fruit cake and a hot cup of tea or coffee waiting. You can play the piano, guitar or just one of the many board games. You are aloud to use all the wonderful herbs in the garden and a big lemon verbena tree is waiting to become a lovely tea!
The guesthouse is only a few minutes walk away from the city center and you have in about 2-6 minutes walk 4 different restaurants/take aways around. The guesthouse is super clean and has WIFI, a washing machine and a dryer! Always nice background music is playing...just great!

The warm hearted family is always a big help and makes you feel like a good friend. Amazing that even over new years when the guesthouse was full they tried to find a place for every single backpacker/guest who walked in or called.

If you come to Nelson - DO NOT MISS to stay at this lovely and family run guesthouse! You will just like it.... I liked it so much that I couldnt leave for a whole week....even though I just planned 2 nights :)

Thank you so much for the great welcome, awesome time and all the nice time we spent together.

All the best to Alan, Piri & Jamie and hope to see you one day again!

Room Tip: The double/twin room has a great huge bed (and it would even fit 3 people). But also sleeping in the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Trampers Rest

Reviewed 25 December 2012

I have mixed views about this place which was friendly, clean and comfortable but also very clearly a rather cramped family home with very little outdoors space - indeed most of it was below a constantly full washing line. The barbecue could only be used if plenty notice was given to get it ready and if several people wanted to use it, and there was a small child wandering around most of the time. The small kitchen felt crowded at mealtimes and I was glad I didn't have the "room" which was really just a tiny conservatory off the sitting room. It would be fairer to call this place a bed and breakfast because it often felt as though we were intruding on family space. That being said, the host Piri was very nice and made a big effort to cope with conflicting pressures. We stayed two nights and made full use of the free bikes and wifi.

Room Tip: Check if you're being offered the sittingroom conservatory. It's tiny and could be noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

We spent the Christmas days in this tiny hostel with only eight beds in total. The hosts Alan and his wife Piri made us feel as a part of the family and celebrated Christmas with us. We had two great days and a lot of fun!

The hostel is very clean, the kitchen has everything you need for cooking and baking, there is free WiFi and no bunk beds.

Alan is always happy to give advice about tramping and travelling and knows his way around NZ very well.

It was lovely spending this Christmas in the hostel! It really is a come-back-destination!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This hostel is a great option if you're looking for a quiet place to stay. It's essentially a house converted into a hostel which means you'll feel more like you're staying with a friend than at a hostel. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are nice. The only thing to be aware of is that if you're looking for a place with more of a party atmosphere then this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Unfortunately I spent there only one night. I really enjoyed my stay. The BBH hostel is very clean, cosy and friendly. I spent the night in a single room which was not really a room itself but as the hostel does not have many rooms it was very quiet. I had a wonderful night and slept like a baby - loved it.
If you ever come to Nelson please stay there. I totally felt like at home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed in. Home from home. We had mostly stayed in camp sites so this was the perfect cosy retreat. The owners made us feel so welcome and introduced everyone straight away so it was the perfect place to exchange advise on where to travel in NZ. Loved the room we stayed in- big brass bed looking out onto an avocado tree. So comfortable. Complementary cake too! The owners went out of their way to give us advise on how we should travel around the South Island and it was absolutely invaluable as it shaped the rest of our trip. Loved my time there and they even waved us off.

Room Tip: The private double with the big brass bed. Best sleep I'd had in ages.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed in this hostel for five nights, from the 20th to the 24th February 2012. It was an excellent place to stay. It's very clean, homely and a great place to meet up with other travelers. The owners, Allan and Piri, were extremely helpful and gave us lots of tips and advice with our travel itinerary and very willingly answered any questions we had. It felt like home. The kitchen and living room are open and welcome places in the house for everyone to congregate and chat. I had a single room and the bed was really comfortable and it was so nice at the end of the day to collapse into that comfy bed. Heaven! The hostel is only 5 minutes walk from the town centre but also quiet, so you can get a good night's sleep. I loved this hostel. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Great location, 5 minutes from town, in a homely setting.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo