“Incompetence or fraud”
Review of The Sails Nelson

The Sails Nelson
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 22 March 2014

After my first email enquiry the owner told me in November 2013 that he could not offer any room to me (TripAdvisor did not show availability for the required dates).

After I got back to him again, he offered a room, and apologized for "the confusion".

When, apparently, the owner felt that my questions about travel industry rate and upstairs rooms were getting to much, he told me he wouldn't have any room available at all.

Strangely, at the same time, the motel's website showed availability for the discussed dates.

After I had made the reservation online, I sent 3 emails in 2 months and asked for a confirmation for an upstairs room. I never received any answer. Since I had used the same email address as during the prior email correspondence, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the motel did not receive those 3 emails.

Since the owner never got back to me and since I was approaching the free of charge cancellation deadline, all I could do, was cancel my reservation. This meant that I needed to reschedule my trip. Quite annoying. The cancellation was done, both via email and via the "contact us" form on the motel's website which confirmed that my message was received.

"Of course", again, I never received any confirmation for that cancellation.

On check-in day, the owner sent an email and asked for my arrival time.

The owner charged my credit card. However, not only for one night, which would be common if I had not canceled, but for all 4 nights. And despite the fact that for all 4 nights the sign outside the motel showed "no vacancy". In other words, although I had canceled my reservation on time, I was charged not only for one, but for all 4 nights. Still the owner sold the room to other guests, thus, made the revenue twice. Truly outrageous.

There are the two possible reasons for all this:
The motel never received my emails after my online reservation. How likely is that, given the fact that I used the same email account and same official motel email address as during the correspondence with the owner? Also, how likely is it that the cancellation which I sent through the official website's contact form never reached the motel?

Here is what is more likely:
The owner was annoyed that I had made a reservation although he, obviously, did not want me as his guest. Then he ignored all my emails until I approached the cancellation period. If I had still shown up, he would, of course, have given me a ground-floor room as a punishment. In case of a "no-show", he would say he never received a cancellation, he would bill me, and still sell the room for that night.

I will have the amount reimbursed by my credit card company. Other than that, I'd be more than happy to sue the owner. In addition, I will inform all relevant booking portals and agencies about the behavior of the owner, also, the Nelson Chamber of Commerce, Nelson's Major, Regional and National Tourist Offices, and, of course the police.

Of course, I can prove all I am writing here about my Sails Motel experience and the unprofessional and outrageous behavior of its owner.

If you still want to stay at this motel, book through TripAdvisor. Do not book through the motel as I am sure the owner will treat other travelers like he treated me. Possibly, this is part of his business model.

Incompetence or fraud: Someone like the Sails' owner should not be in the hospitality industry.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank fcapm
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

We have resolved this issue...

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Arrived after a long day's drive to receive a warm and friendly welcome and to be shown to an excellent set of rooms. Great lounge/kitchen, bedroom and bathroom with rainfall shower. Very well equipped unit which was extremely clean. The comfiest bed in New Zealand !
The owners could not be more helpful and gave us good advice about the local area, and booked us on a great day in Abel Tasman. Easy walk into town to eat in the evening.
One of the best places we stayed in five weeks in New Zealand - highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
max r, Manager at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your experience with us at The Sails Nelson. It was wonderful to meet you and to have helped with recommendations to get the most out of your time in the amazing Nelson/Tasman area. We are pleased that you found your suite to be so comfortable at the end your busy days. Regards Max and Robyn.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our visit to Nelson was the last stop on our trip around the South Island and it was a lovely way to end our trip. The Sails was new, modern and comfortable. Our studio room had an extremely impressive king size bed, television and free wifi access. Perfect location, only a short walk into the town centre. Max was very friendly and gave us plenty of useful information about the local area when we arrived. I have recommended The Sails to everyone back in Australia. Thank you for your kind hospitality and a lovely end to our holiday.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Sails Nelson. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the Nelson area. We enjoyed your company and letting you know about some of our favourite spots. We hope that you will be able to make it back to our little piece of paradise some day soon. and thank you for letting your friends and family know about your experience in recommending The Sails. Regards Robyn and Max.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

By the time we booked onto Sails we had stayed in lots of motels and hotels over the North and South Island and in terms of the standard of accommodation and value for money Sails came out best. The accommodation was exactly as described , luxury bed and pillows as well as a superbly equipped studio. The location was excellent and the owners truly professional in their approach to their business. Recommend this accommodation without reservation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi Margaret, Thank you very much for your great review. We do endeavour to make very guests stay a great one! we pride ourselves in the attention to detail and fulfilling our guests needs.

We hope you can come and visit us again.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We spent a wonderful long weekend at Sails and it was just perfect! Looks exactly like the pictures on the website - new, clean, bright.

Just a short walk into town so leave the car at motel and just walk on.

Big comfy feather bed, tv, stereo and blu ray, well equipped kitchen and nespresso machine - what more could you want?

The owners are friendly and knowledgeable about the Nelson region - you can tell they love what they do! Just tell them what you would like to do and they're sure to have some good recommendations.

max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a lovely review for us. We take great pleasure in welcoming guests to our wonderful city of Nelson. We are pleased you had enough time to fit everything in by spending the weekend with us.

We hope to see you agian soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Feather beds, pristine decor, lovely proprietor, impeccable surroundings, and boutique brilliance at an affordable cost. A delightful surprise at the beginning of a two week adventure through the South Island with friends from the States. Amazing.

max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you for a wonderful review. We are pleased you had a great stay with us and we hope you enjoyed the rest of you travels around the south Island.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Very nice people from the Manager/Owner to the Girls who serviced the room. Nothing was too much trouble and they were very helpful with excellent rooms and large lovely bathroom. An easy walk into the town and lots to do in the area. An upstairs room would allow you to leave the window open and not rely on the air conditioning, It would not bother some people anyway and in alot of modern Hotels you cannot open the windows at all. So all in all an excellent City centre place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank so much for taking the time to write a great review for us. We enjoyed having you stay with us and pleased you had a experience. We are always striving to be the best we can be so our guest can have a wonderful experience in our great city of Nelson.