“Amazing!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2013

What a great find. Great service, location and the food was everything we were hoping for. The menu was authentic Italian but also 'kiwified' which made us feel really comfortable. We would certainly recommend Eatalian for a great experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

4 of us enjoyed a meal at Eatalian on Friday night - we thoroughly enjoyed it.... The food was absolutely exceptional. I had the beef fillet with balsamic marinade / roasted tomatoes - it was incredible, perfectly cooked and I highly recommend it. Service was attentive but not overbearing, the very jolly proprietor even took our dessert orders and checked we were enjoying ourselves - A great evening was had by all.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

It was the first time we had visited this restaurant and it exceeded our expectations. We had a great meal from start to finish. Easily the best Italian food in Nelson, as far as we're concerned, it is on a par with the other top restaurants in Nelson. We will definitely be visiting again some time in the near future.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Now if you haven't been to Italy or a true Italian restaurant this may seem a bit harsh. Several friends have actually rated this place ok to good but our first experience wasn't overly positive. I have a difficult time justs getting over the tacky name.

I'll start with the atmosphere - pretty sterile and could be better (will look past the location, not much to do about that). As for the food? Well, I had the gnocchi in a blue cheese sauce - it was overcooked, soggy and way too much oil (and not enough fresh herbs). If you are vegetarian, beware - the menu holds only 1 or 2 items that don't contain meat. Service was fine and sufficiently friendly but felt like they were overreaching a bit (I guess trying to be fine dinning). Wine listed seem above average for Nelson.

Again, take this review with a grain of salt as I am comparing to really good Italian restaurants (both high end and family run) and there aren't really any in NZ to compare.

joeboy07, Owner at Eatalian Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

I am sorry that your visit to our restaurant didn't meet your expectations. It would appear you are an expert reviewer - 84 contributions from 37 countries in two years. I must bow to your
experience.
But I must add, that I am heartened by the many complimetary reviewsof other well traveled patrons of Italian roots who have commented favourably as to the authenticity of our meals.
I will try to improve.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Dined at Eatalian on a quiet Tuesday night. The best italian food outside of italy (including Melbourne's famed/over-rated Lygon St. etc). The chicken liver pasta was exceptional, but the Torte de Mele was beyond incredible! Have previously had risotto there - the mark of a great chef is to be able to create a good risotto. Although not a drinker, the wine list was small but carefully chosen. Welcoming, lovely ambience, polite service, not overbaring.