“Great meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We had a great meal here. The food was delicious and the service very good. A nice touch offering a pashmina so we could sit outside.

There are newer reviews for Eatalian Nelson

Reviewed 31 January 2014

In list form:

1. We rang and asked for a 7pm reservation, the manager asked if we could do 7:15pm. Sure. When we arrived for our 7.15pm the restaurant was 70% empty. Why couldn't she take us at 7pm?!

2. We waited forever for someone to take our drink order, give us water or menus. We almost left.

3. When we finally ordered, the 2 servers (manager and owner) had zero communication. We were asked for drink orders after we'd ordered.. we didn't hear the specials (just overheard another table being given the courtesy)...

4. We didn't eat until 8.20pm (arrived at 7.15)

5. My husband is gluten-free. They advertise GF pasta on the menu which is the MAIN reason we went there. When our food finally arrived the owner explained it was because my husband ordered GF pasta, they didn't have any and had to go out and buy some.

Not only is this a really lame excuse for a restaurant claiming to cater to GF patrons, but why not explain that 30 minutes ago? We sat there thinking, "Did they forget about us? Are we ever going to get fed?" Worse, we weren't offered any apology or compensation ("Sorry for the wait - here's a glass of wine on the house...") This was especially irritating since other tables got served before us.

6. After we got our meals we were ignored. No one returned to our table to check on us for more drinks or if we were enjoying the meal. We had to keep flagging them down. I would've loved another glass of rosé (they have a good wine list) but I never got the chance.

7. We took comfort knowing we weren't the only patrons experiencing a bad night. We overheard other tables complaining to each other about the slack, inconsistent service.

8. An older American couple asked for the check (in the USA the servers bring the bill to the table, but in NZ you often have to go up to the register). The manager said she'd be right back, and then never returned. After sitting there for a good 15 minutes, the poor guy had to go up and pay.

9. They forgot our sides and brought them out halfway through the meal.

10. When we finished the manager asked, "How was the meal?". My husband said, "Mediocre at best!" She ignored him. We told her we were going to write about our bad experience on TripAdvisor. She shrugged and said, "Oh well!" This was the MANAGER.

Worst restaurant experience we've ever had.

joeboy07, Owner at Eatalian Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

We do have, like any other resturant, people that are not happy with their food, but this is the first time anyone has complained about our service.
Strange that on the day we have someone giving us 1 star, we get another giving us 5 stars ?

In reply to the list form...

1. the reason we asked that they came at 7.15 pm was that we had a table of 8 and a table of 4 booked for 6.45 pm
12 in total, which could have seen a delay in service.

2. Another strange occurance, as soon as people are seated they are given menus, wine list, water and free grissinni.

3. Zero communication? I remember asking these people where they from and they said they were recent arrivals in NZ and lived in Auckland.
I jokingly remarked that I had escaped from Auckland many years ago.
Both I and the Manager went back to the table (29) to ask if they were ready to order and they said they weren't. When asked if they would like something to drink they declined, saying they would decide on what they were eating first before they chose any liquid refreshment.
We don't have daily specials at Eatalian.

4.See above

5.Sorry, we never runout of product, and if by some reason we did require something. I am the Goffa, and I have NEVER been asked to go out in the middle of service to get Gluton free pasta.
NEVER.
The reason there was a up to 30 minutes delivery time of food was because they orderd main courses only and with some ala carte meals this is how long it takes to cook.
Which is true of all ala carte restaurants.
Tables getting served before them. This often irritates people, we explain, these people are being seved their starters - which take on average 10- 15 minutes to deliver.

6. "We had to keep flagging them down" if this was so , why didn't they ask for a glass of Rose?

7. Can't answer that one - we think we give excellent service. No other customers complained on that night.

8. That same American couple came back the next night - remarked it was the best food they've
had in New Zealand

9. Sorry about the sides.

19. "Oh well" !! My manager would never have said that, she is to professional

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Have just been back to Eatalian, just as delicious as ever! Lovely fresh food and great service. Can't wait to go again!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We went to this restaurant last night for a family birthday. The restaurant was nicely presented and the service was great.

Our starters were small but of acceptable quality, however all 4 different mains lacked flavour. The Meatballs were dry; the carbonara was dry and lacked cream; the lasagne was bland, small and three quarters of the plate was covered with lettuce (not salad); and the chicken marsala tasted like poached chicken- bland and unseasoned, with no marsala sauce evident. Of greater concern was the "sheet of pasta"/plastic under the lasagne, which was inedible.

The waitress was excellent and took our concerns seriously, calling the owner who came in to investigate. This was great, until this morning when the owner called me to discuss the issue. The owner has questioned my motives, asked if this was a setup, and asked for our qualifications and experience to be commenting on his food. The customer is not respected by the owner here. We are well travelled and enjoy good italian- steer well clear of this restaurant.

joeboy07, Owner at Eatalian Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

I was led to believe by the party of four, that they came to the Eatalian Ristorante because they couldn’t get into their favourite pizza place to celebrate a birthday.
That aside, their complaint seemed to be that the food was not to their liking. I can’t do much about that unfortunately, only applogise and offer them something that might suit their taste
Some people like lots of salt, some people none. Everybody’s food needs are different.

What I can say is that is that we do get the odd customer who is not satisfied, that is the nature of the restaurant business, but never four people all at the same time.
Firstly they said the meatballs were dry. This comment I can’t understand - they come with a spicy tomato sauce.
Carbonara; not enough cream. Cream is not common in Italian recipes but is often used outside Italy. We always use a little.
Lasagne; all our portions are on average 350gms and always come with a salad
of various lettuce leaves
Pollo al Marsala; again this is mystery, the only thing I can suggest to the kitchen is that we change our brand of Marsala, obviously not strong enough.
..and lastly the "sheet of pasta"/plastic. I think you exaggerate. The “plastic” in question would have been baking paper, I applogise for that, an unfortunate slip, it should have been removed before serving.

When I asked them why they didn’t complain before they finished their meal they said because they were hungry and the portions were small.
They were each offered a free dessert , they declined, saying they were full ??.

We are a very customer service orientated restaurant, as our regulars will tell you, but unfortunately, you can’t please everyone, but we do try.

Sorry, we don’t serve pizza.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

A fabulous meal. Lots of gluten free options. Awesome service. It was one of few restaurants open on a Monday night.