“Great place to grab a quick lunch”
Review of Nicola's Cantina

Nicola's Cantina
Ranked #38 of 196 Restaurants in Nelson
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Mexican Cantina that offers coffee, modern and traditional Mexican meals and Mexican inspired cakes and deserts. Fresh ingredients, delicious food for reasonable prices. All available to take away.
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Had lunch there twice. Both times super delicious. May not be the place to have a long relaxed weekend lunch but its brilliant for a quick mid week lunch feed. Plus, you can browse the furniture at edito out the back while you wait for your food. We will be back for sure.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have been to Nicolas' Cantina about 10 times now since it opened. They have a great range of very tasty foods, many great Mexican classics and some very interesting own mixes and ideas.
Some great soups and some great blended juices.
Parking directly outside has always been easy.

The prices are very reasonable

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Called in to grab a takeaway quesadilla and it was the tastiest thing I've eaten for months... Looking forward to trying more of the fresh Mexican fare. Loved the decor and art on the walls. The only issue was that the cafe seemed cold which wasn't really a problem as I wasnt eating in. Saw a heatpump on the wall so temp could be easily remedied.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I'm originally from So. California, so I've had my share of mexican food. It's been sorely lacking in New Zealand, and especially Nelson, so when I heard that Nicola's was opening, my husband and I had to try it.
FIrst of all, it's on a very busy street with limited street parking, but as it's only open during the day, we didn't have any issue. The inside is full of light, but nothing special, no mexican "flare" except for a few potted cactus around.
We were greeted by the owner (I'm guessing) with a smile as we entered and the limited menu is easy to read and sounds tasty. It's pretty much 1 taco dish, 1 burrito and 1 quesadilla. No chips, no guacamole. I think the pricing should be written out more clearly. There was a $2.50 extra charge for veggie or meat fillings in my quesadilla, but we both missed it on the board. My husband ordered the pork taco and I the veggie quesadilla. The food is made to order and came pretty quickly. There are 2 tacos with very light and tasty corn tortillas, and my quesadilla came in 3 pieces and was filled with pumpkin and avocado and was nice and hot.
We didn't order anything to drink as we don't like bottled sweet juices, though I think there were some fresh (mexican?) juices available. There were also some interesting pastries in a glass case available, and churros as well- we'll have to give them a go next time.
Overall a tasty, decent-priced place. Just wish she had chips and salsa to order :)

Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

Great little cantina with amazing fresh juices sourced from local ingredients. The food is simple and delicious and with the great furniture store behind the restarant to wander thru while waiting on your food.
Nicki is well known in NZ for the food she produces And this new venture is sure to take off and leave very happy customers