“Enjoyed it, but expensive”

World of WearableArt & Classic Cars Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$139.05*
and up
Full-Day Self-Guided Cycle and Sail Adventure from Nelson
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Nelson
More attraction details
Owner description: The World of WearableArt and Classic Cars Museum is an iconic Nelson visitor attraction that celebrates two passions united by design. Amazing Wearable works of Art from the annual WOW Awards Show are displayed alongside one of Australasia's biggest private collections of rare, Classic Cars. The Museum also includes a Cafe renowned for it's tasty, healthy treats, a Retail Store full of NZ art and jewelry designs, and the ever-changing Reflections Art Gallery. Open every day 10am - 5pm (except Christmas Day)
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Enjoyed it, but expensive”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

It was a nice 'wet day' activity, but it doesn't take long to look through it (20-30 minutes) and it's quite dear for that fact ($25 per person). Lovely cafe inside for a hot chocolate. Worth a look, but we wouldn't go again.

Visited January 2014

Hong Kong, China
177 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“Lived up to my expectation, enjoyed it!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I read some reviews here and wasn't expecting too much. My, was I wrong! I was actually quite delighted with what I saw, both the amazing costumes and the cars. I took a bus there, got off at Quarantine road, followed the WOW sign painted on the cycle path,and within a 5 to 10 minute walk, I was there. Same thing when going back to catch the bus back into town.

Ticket is high at $24, free lockers to unload your things. Cameras are not allowed in the arable arts section, but at the car section, photos are allowed. Smart phone is allowed, and there is an app one can download, it will be used for scanning the code on each piece to get further information, a very interactive experience.

The display is not huge, but every piece is a master piece, and can take a while to appreciate. The section of costumes which glow in ultra violet settings are particularly interesting. The classic car sections are just mazing, so many and all in prime condition, rumoured to be owned by one person! I had a fun hour or two in there, and bought a few postcards and a DVD of 2012 show, it's worth collecting, although like others say, not cheap.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, If you were caught in bad weather and have nothing to do, this place can be nice and oh so different.

Paeroa, New Zealand
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Always wanted to go to this”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been following the World of Wearable Art (WOW) since its inception 25 years ago, and even in the early days contemplated entering a piece myself. Now it is so "out there" that I don't think I would have a chance.

The museum has been on my "to do" list so when I arrived at Nelson airport (I was down there to teach a patchwork/quilting class) and the lady meeting me suggested we should visit the museum, I was in 7th heaven. And it was even better than I imagined, brilliantly laid out. The imagination of the creators of these wonderful "garments", the materials used and the workmanship just blew me away. Having seen all the outfits, we then discovered the theatre where excerpts from last year's show were being shown. To see the garments on models dancing and moving to accentuate the pieces was even better.

We were the only ones in the WOW part of the museum at the time which made it even more enjoyable. As we left 2 bus loads started to come through and it would have been very cramped with all those people in it. Having spent a couple of hours in there, there was no time to view the wonderful shiny cars, but I thought the one displayed "in the water" was very eye-catching.

We had a good lunch there in a lovely setting with the water around, and then browsed through the gift shop, also very interesting.

Now I definitely want to go to the live WOW show in Wellington.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Surprised”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The level of creativity and imagination surprised me. The car collection was as good as I have seen anywhere.

Visited March 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“WOW!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is an amazing collection of "art" work. Well worth a visit. We didn't see the car collection next to it but I'm sure it would be impressive too.