“Wearable art AND cars!”

and up
Full-Day Self-Guided Cycle and Sail Adventure from Nelson
Ranked #1 of 85 things to do in Nelson
More attraction details
Owner description: The World of WearableArt and Classic Cars Museum is an iconic Nelson visitor attraction that celebrates two passions united by design. Amazing Wearable works of Art from the annual WOW Awards Show are displayed alongside one of Australasia's biggest private collections of rare, Classic Cars. The Museum also includes a Cafe renowned for it's tasty, healthy treats, a Retail Store full of NZ art and jewelry designs, and the ever-changing Reflections Art Gallery. Open every day 10am - 5pm (except Christmas Day)
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We both enjoyed the creativity and zaniness of the WOW presentation and spent some time here looking at all of the details. The car museum was also very good - if you want to see them all, make sure you wander out the back door and over the "road" to the second show room. Huge selection of cars. At $25 a head, there is a lot to see and we spent almost 3 hours here.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

It was a nice 'wet day' activity, but it doesn't take long to look through it (20-30 minutes) and it's quite dear for that fact ($25 per person). Lovely cafe inside for a hot chocolate. Worth a look, but we wouldn't go again.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I read some reviews here and wasn't expecting too much. My, was I wrong! I was actually quite delighted with what I saw, both the amazing costumes and the cars. I took a bus there, got off at Quarantine road, followed the WOW sign painted on the cycle path,and within a 5 to 10 minute walk, I was there. Same thing when going back to catch the bus back into town.

Ticket is high at $24, free lockers to unload your things. Cameras are not allowed in the arable arts section, but at the car section, photos are allowed. Smart phone is allowed, and there is an app one can download, it will be used for scanning the code on each piece to get further information, a very interactive experience.

The display is not huge, but every piece is a master piece, and can take a while to appreciate. The section of costumes which glow in ultra violet settings are particularly interesting. The classic car sections are just mazing, so many and all in prime condition, rumoured to be owned by one person! I had a fun hour or two in there, and bought a few postcards and a DVD of 2012 show, it's worth collecting, although like others say, not cheap.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, If you were caught in bad weather and have nothing to do, this place can be nice and oh so different.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been following the World of Wearable Art (WOW) since its inception 25 years ago, and even in the early days contemplated entering a piece myself. Now it is so "out there" that I don't think I would have a chance.

The museum has been on my "to do" list so when I arrived at Nelson airport (I was down there to teach a patchwork/quilting class) and the lady meeting me suggested we should visit the museum, I was in 7th heaven. And it was even better than I imagined, brilliantly laid out. The imagination of the creators of these wonderful "garments", the materials used and the workmanship just blew me away. Having seen all the outfits, we then discovered the theatre where excerpts from last year's show were being shown. To see the garments on models dancing and moving to accentuate the pieces was even better.

We were the only ones in the WOW part of the museum at the time which made it even more enjoyable. As we left 2 bus loads started to come through and it would have been very cramped with all those people in it. Having spent a couple of hours in there, there was no time to view the wonderful shiny cars, but I thought the one displayed "in the water" was very eye-catching.

We had a good lunch there in a lovely setting with the water around, and then browsed through the gift shop, also very interesting.

Now I definitely want to go to the live WOW show in Wellington.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The level of creativity and imagination surprised me. The car collection was as good as I have seen anywhere.