“Great customer service”

Jens Hansen Gold and Silversmith
Ranked #4 of 25 Shopping in Nelson
More attraction details
Owner description: SpecialtiesThe One Ring - The Lord of the Rings Ring for The HobbitManufacturing JewellerDiamond Engagement & Wedding RingsPlatinum - Gold - SilverValuations, Repairs, & RemodellingReady to Wear & To Order Custom & Traditional DesignGold BuyersSince 1968 the Jens Hansen Gold and Silversmith workshop in Nelson, New Zealand has been making jewellery of uncompromising beauty. Diamond engagement rings, custom design wedding jewellery, dress rings, bracelets, pendants, brooches and silverware that offer pure contemporary lines and sculptural elegance have become the trademarks of the Jens Hansen workshop.All the jewellery is handcrafted, original, precious and crafted 'to be worn'. This simple philosophy rewards us with creative pieces that we all can embrace, afford and love, and was also the reason Peter Jackson asked Jens Hansen to design and make the ring depicted on screen as The One Ring™ for his film version of J. R. R. Tolkien's famous The Lord of the Rings™books.HistoryEstablished in 1968The Jens Hansen Gold and Silversmith Workshop was borne from passion of creativity and experimentation. The first Nelson workshop, set up in 1968, was in the front room of the family home at 8 Alton Street. This quickly became a centre for the local arts community, where Jens's talent, energy, enthusiasm, and outspoken personality drew people in from all over the world, and where Jens trained, worked with and influenced many of New Zealand's leading contemporary jewellers.Meet the Business Owner: Halfdan H.Halfdan is Jens Hansen's elder son, and has been director of the store for the last five years. He is committed to continuing his father's legacy, particularly when it comes to the Movie Ring that his father Jens and brother Thorkild worked on for the original The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.
Melbourne, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great customer service”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We visited the shop before we left Nelson and are glad we did. Tanya was helpful and very informative, with significant knowledge about the Lord of the Rings products in relation to production of the films. We were able to see and hold various products and even got a photo with the largest of the rings. Had Tanya not been so helpful we may not have purchased our collectors ring but her enthusiasm was infectious. A lovely place to visit even if you're not a huge fan of the movie.

Visited August 2014

Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Childhood dream come true”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Before the review, I should note that I did not visit Jens Hansen in person--I am an online customer from the United States. I had such an amazing experience that I really wanted to share my story somewhere, and this seemed like the best place.

I came across Jens Hansen when I was looking for an engagement and wedding ring for myself. Because I've been a huge Lord of the Rings fan since childhood, I was searching for Vilya, the magic ring worn by my favorite fictional character, Elrond, in the Peter Jackson LOTR movies. After months of searching, I discovered through a forum post that Jens Hansen actually made the original ring (as well as the One Ring).

Initially I was disappointed because the ring was quite a bit out of my price range, but they mentioned that the rings could be customized so I clicked the link and sent them an email. Within less than a day, the director of the store Halfdan emailed me back. They were happy to make the ring with exactly the changes to the metal and stone that I had asked about in my original inquiry, as well as in my size and with free shipping. Just as importantly, this brought the price within my budget.

Still, I was nervous to buy the ring, because even at the reduced price it was still a major purchase for me, and the first piece of jewelry I'd ever bought or worn for myself. I was mostly concerned that it wouldn't fit, or that I'd be allergic to the metal, or that its size and shape would be awkward to wear every day. However, once again Halfdan and representative Claire put my concerns to rest, assuring me that I could return the ring if it was not suitable, even though it was a custom order. Because of that guarantee, I decided to go for it.

The day the ring came, I was so thrilled with it that I got engaged the same evening, and have been wearing it ever since (several weeks now). It looks incredible, it fits perfectly, it connects me to my favorite books, movies, and character, and it symbolizes my love for my fiancée. This ring will be both my engagement ring and wedding ring, and in all the world, there is no ring I'd rather wear. Needless to say, the ring's design and story have generated a great deal of interest and praise from all my friends and family, much more than I ever expected for a man's ring. If I come across some extra money, I plan to buy an exact duplicate of it, just in case I ever lose the original.

The team at Jens Hansen was a pleasure to work with and I'm so glad that I found them. They quite literally made my dream come true, and I couldn't be more thankful.

---
One tiny thing to keep in mind for U.S. customers: Fedex ships the ring and pays the U.S. customs cost for bringing the ring into our country (for me it was 5.5% of the item's price + $6.50), then either charges you upon delivery or sends you the bill later. I assumed this was included in the free shipping, but I now know that this fee is generally charged to the recipient of an oversees delivery. As a U.S. customer, you actually end up saving money overall because you don't have to pay New Zealand's Customs and Duties tax, but you still have to pay ours.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Paul S
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Jewelry - Great Service”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was thrilled to visit this shop on a recent trip to New Zealand. From the moment I walked in, I was treated and entertained by a lovely staff member, who was happy to show me rings and things whether I was buying or not. I did purchase a beautifully crafted silver and amethyst ring. Jens's style is rooted in the 60's/70's yet boldly holds up today. This is a must visit in Nelson (one of my favorite cities in the world).

Visited January 2014
1 Thank bonniec191
Sofia, Bulgaria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Absolutely awesome work!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I first visited the studio when we were in Nelson in 2012 and they crafted my beautiful engagement ring. Me and my fiance have decided to get our wedding bands from Jens Hansen and I have just received them. They are amazingly beautifully crafted and engraved. I got the same size as my engagement ring, my fiance the movie ring, i really hope his ring doesnt have the magical characteristics as the ring in the movie! :) Absolutely great work, a must visit if you are travelling through Nelson. The studio is cozy and is full of so many nice stuff and also, the atmosphere, it is great! The team is sooo friendly and always willing to help you and make the best to make your dream jewel!Thank you, Halfdan and the whole team for taking part of our love story!!! Guys, dont miss it, it is an amazing experience to get closer to this magical world of Jens Hansen !!! :)

Visited December 2013
1 Thank pepinka
Richmond, Canada
“More than I expected!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was an on line shopper with Jens Hansen and I couldn't be more happy with my total experience with them. I made a custom order of "the one ring" from Lord of the Rings Trilogy with custom engraving. Every step of the way Halfdan was there with his input and expertise. It came faster than I expected and was beautifully presented. The "one ring" that I have is simply gorgeous! The size, the weight, the design. So, elegant and refined. I would definitely order from them again. So, thank-you Halfdan and everyone else at Jen Hansen studio for a fantastic job and beautiful work of art!

Visited October 2013