“I can't believe the horrible night I spent there...”
Review of Warwick House

Warwick House
Ranked #14 of 55 Nelson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2014

After an amazing experience traveling alone for three weeks throughout one of the friendliest, scenic, amazing countries, New Zealand, I spent my last real night at the Warwick House in Nelson.

Big mistake.

Without a doubt, it was the worst night of my trip.

After dropping my luggage (they are not close to the center of town), I rushed to return my rental car to the Nelson Airport. I then proceeded to use taxis to get spend the rest of the afternoon and early evening. When I returned to the Warwick House, at 5:30 PM, no one was there. They were out for the evening. The entire place was dark, couldn't find the lights to make the manor house light up... It was scary, cold, rainy and unwelcoming. I finally found a young caretaker, who showed me how to work things in my room... but, she was very interested in getting back to what she was doing.

I felt in the way.

My room was horrible. It was tiny. There was no table to put things... to eat my takeaway dinner... There was no chair to sit on. I had to sit on the bed and watch the 18 inch screen (with such awful reception, it was not visible). It was horribly depressing. This room is below the manor house, so it felt like a basement area... not pleasant at all.

There were admonishing signs all over: in the little kitchenette area for downstairs two rooms, signs said, "Do not cook fish", "Clean the kitchen", etc. Not welcoming.

In my tiny bathroom (no room to put makeup.. no counter space), there were signs all over:
"You are requested to reuse your towels"... "Turn off the lights". "Use the fan when showering", etc.
I felt like I was in a prison or boarding school.

In the morning, I had to depart to go the airport to fly to Auckland early. I had told the owner this when I first arrived and left my luggage. I shared that I would like breakfast (it IS a B&B), but unfortunately, the breakfast wasn't going to be served until 8:00 AM. An exception couldn't be made? I was told that a "cold tray" could be brought "down" to my area... Where might I eat in that room? There was not even a table in the kitchenette area...

When reading their binder of facts about the property, it mentioned that there was a $17.00 fee for cold breakfasts, and a $24 fee for hot breakfasts. Since when did a B & B charge extra for breakfasts? Didn't matter, no food was delivered to me. No human being appeared while I waited in the rain outside for the taxi cab. I tried to get into the manor house when I came up to the main level, but it was locked tighter than a drum. I couldn't get in to sit down and wait at 7:15 AM.

The owner never came out to give me breakfast or say goodbye.

I never saw anyone pretty much after I left my luggage the afternoon before.

THIS is a luxury B& B? I think not.

It was cold, unwelcoming, uncomfortable, HORRIBLE.
The worst place I have stayed in decades.

Can you tell I'm furious!?

Also, a place I would definitely not recommend.

And, it wasn't cheap.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Warwick House in Nelson!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank daltes
NickFerrier, Manager at Warwick House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Guest, We have assessed your feedback so we can continue to provide our guests with a valued experience in Nelson. Warwick House has been operating for over 10 years and hosted over 12.000 guests from 45 different countries during this period.
It was unfortunate that immediately after your arrival here you decided to go straight to the airport to return your rental car without giving my wife, Jenny the chance to discuss your plans in more detail. All your bags were taken from the carpark and placed in your room for you.
To state that the property is not central is simply incorrect. – It is situated just 5-10 minutes riverside walk or 2 minutes drive from central Nelson (less than 1km). The airport is only 6 minutes drive away
Your chosen room - We would suggest when booking through a travel agent it is advisable to check that the room description suits your needs. You had booked the smallest and cheapest room for 1 night - without breakfast.($ 129-NZ including 15% local tax) . A room upgrade is an option, however, you chose not to request this.
When you rang the ring at 5.30pm the duty manager was there and came to the room to help you find your way around. This was another opportunity for you to change to a large room if you had really wanted to do so.
There are clear signs showing the location of the attendance bell and 24 hour contact nos. on a clear sign board. There are a large no. of night time and sensor lights, lighting up all the main areas of the property. There were several other guests also staying at this time.
As you were departing the following morning at 6.45 am, we booked you a taxi and discussed breakfast options with you. You said you had booked without breakfast because of your early departure and would eat at the airport. If you changed your mind you could have contacted us on our free call number. For guests who book ‘room only’ Continental breakfast is available for $15 or full cooked breakfast for $24,-.
In room signage – Warwick House has been Qualmark nationally rated for 8 years – an important part of all modern hospitality ratings is the focus of properties towards sustainability and the avoiding of unnecessary wastage on a daily basis.

There are newer reviews for Warwick House

Reviewed 16 April 2014

thanks again for making my brief stay enjoyable. cosy and clean with a bit of luxury. nelson is getting more and more interesting and appreciate the advice on food and craft beer. see you again next year if i don't come and love here!

Room Tip: give them a call so they can book a room suitable for your needs
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

A cute little B&B with history! We enjoyed our stay at this historic home. Comfortable and charming, nestled in a quiet little neighborhood in Nelson. Close enough to be convenient but far enough to feel a world away from the hustle and bustle of the cities center!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights while visiting Nelson. Stayed in the lower rooms which have kitchen access. Nicely renovated in Victorian style. The continental breakfast was adequate but went to a cafe on the second day. Friends had recommended WH but had stayed in the upper rooms which appear to have more light and views.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

After 2 weeks travelling the South Island we ended up staying here with the most comfortable bed on our trip. What a surprise to find a bath in the living space which was enthusiatically used! Great shower space and wonderful old fashioned toilet that definitely does concern itself with water saving measures! The shared kitchen/laundry was welcome too.

Hosts were wonderful in just making us feel at home and then just leaving us be.

It is a little way out of the CBD, maybe a 15 minute walk, but that is the price for peace and quiet

A small observation for the owners is to install something under the door to keep out the noise of guests using the corridor. But really thats it. We would definitely stay here once more.

Vince and Jill

Besos

Room Tip: Downstairs room at the end of the secret path.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We spend two nights at the Warwick House last February 2014. Nick and Jenny made us feel very welcome. We slept in the beautiful tower suite which has all mod coms. Where ever we wanted to go they always had some advise on exra interesting things to do on the desired location. We even got our jeans back that we accidentaly left behind, they forwarded it to a hotel in Auckland where we would stay later. No extra charges although we offerd to repay.

Had a wonderful stay and would definitely go there again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Warwick House in February 2014.. We were totally blown away by the Bayview Suite, our spectacular room for one night. The suite is situated at the top of the house and reached by way of a separate entrance. It is truly elegant and offers every comfort you could want. The views from the windows are all outstanding, from gardens, to town and the waterfront. The hosts, Nick and Jenny, were terrific..very welcoming and on the premisies if needed, providing information on local restaruants and activities. Breakfast was delicious with many choices and eaten in the ballroom, a fantastic renovation in itself. We thoroughly enjoyed chatting with Nick after breakfast as he recounted the process of purchasing and renovating their grand old mansion. If you love old architecture, without sacrificing comfort and elegance, the Warwick House is the place to stay. Even if you aren't there is great value and comfort to be expereinced at the Warwick House.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple