“Beautiful accomodation, disappointing service”
Review of Warwick House

Warwick House
Ranked #15 of 55 Nelson B&B and Inns
Waterford, Canada
“Beautiful accomodation, disappointing service”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Warwick House is glorious. Our guest room was spectacular and the facility and grounds were amazing. We were a little disappointed with the breakfast portion of our stay. We were advised that the full breakfast was not served until 8:30 am - a little late considering that most vacation tours in and around Nelson start at 9, so we had to forego the breakfast portion of our stay which was so sad that we were unable to enjoy the beautiful dining room of the facility. We were also disappointed with this set-up given that every single b and b and holiday house that we stayed at in New Zealand accomodated our travel by asking us what time we wanted breakfast. Just a minor note, but something to be aware of if you're travelling in this area; there are so many wonderful things to see in this awesome country, who doesn't want/need to be on the road bright and early?

Room Tip: Double check breakfast availability times and plan your excursions/travel around them.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We are quite puzzled by your comments regarding breakfast times.

Full breakfast is always available from 8am onwards. For guests leaving for activities
earlier than 8am we also offer a room service breakfast tray.

This infomation is all listed in the room folders.

Normally the breakfast timing and following days' activities are discussed when you check in.

Our apologies if there was some misunderstanding during your stay. - Certainly we would have been available to serve you a full breakfast from 8am if this had been requested.

Hopefully your onward travels in New Zealand were enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 2 May 2014

While travelling around the south island of NZ we came across this little ge!! As Nelson happened to fall on our anniversary weekend we decided to take one of the nice Victorian Rooms. Our room was known as 'The Tower Suit' and was exceptionally clean. Our hosts Nick and Jenny were very welcoming and friendly when we arrived and we even shared a bottle of wine in the ballroom and talked about travelling as the two of them are very experienced. We got the feel that we were friends coming to stay in this cosy little home and then were given super recommendations about what to do in Nelson and we were left to explore. A very comfortable nights sleep left us ready for the sunny day ahead with Jennys yummy scrambled eggs giving us a kick start on our Able Tasman adventures.

Room Tip: The Rooms upstairs are the luxury ones (Tower Suit, Peacock Suit & Bay View) and they also have...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NickFerrier, Manager at Warwick House, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. It was nice to spend some time with you
during your stay and help with your onward planning.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were amazed when we arrived on a hot afternoon at the turreted, Gothic mansion in its spacious grounds,which is a few minutes walk from the centre of Nelson. We felt welcomed by our hostess in the ballroom and were very pleased with our clean, quiet, well- appointed double room with its traditional decoration. Being English, we were delighted not only when we were offered tea and home-made biscuits, but also touched that our host had enabled our son to provide flowers in a vase for Mothers' Day and a handwritten card, which were waiting beside our bed . We greatly enjoyed sitting out on the balcony, admiring the views and statues and petting the friendly old labrador, Vicky. Our host was most helpful in sending us off on one of the most memorable walks of our holiday, to watch the sunset at the 'centre of New Zealand' . After dinner in one of the many restaurants in Nelson, we spent a comfortable night in an excellent bed. Our only regret was that we could not stay longer, as we had to leave at 6 am to catch the Intercity bus and so were deprived of the experience of sampling breakfast in the ballroom and more time to explore a lovely historic area .

Room Tip: Our standard double room was well-appointed but not very light and bright - maybe splash out on a mo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Napa, California
Reviewed 19 April 2014

After an amazing experience traveling alone for three weeks throughout one of the friendliest, scenic, amazing countries, New Zealand, I spent my last real night at the Warwick House in Nelson.

Big mistake.

Without a doubt, it was the worst night of my trip.

After dropping my luggage (they are not close to the center of town), I rushed to return my rental car to the Nelson Airport. I then proceeded to use taxis to get spend the rest of the afternoon and early evening. When I returned to the Warwick House, at 5:30 PM, no one was there. They were out for the evening. The entire place was dark, couldn't find the lights to make the manor house light up... It was scary, cold, rainy and unwelcoming. I finally found a young caretaker, who showed me how to work things in my room... but, she was very interested in getting back to what she was doing.

I felt in the way.

My room was horrible. It was tiny. There was no table to put things... to eat my takeaway dinner... There was no chair to sit on. I had to sit on the bed and watch the 18 inch screen (with such awful reception, it was not visible). It was horribly depressing. This room is below the manor house, so it felt like a basement area... not pleasant at all.

There were admonishing signs all over: in the little kitchenette area for downstairs two rooms, signs said, "Do not cook fish", "Clean the kitchen", etc. Not welcoming.

In my tiny bathroom (no room to put makeup.. no counter space), there were signs all over:
"You are requested to reuse your towels"... "Turn off the lights". "Use the fan when showering", etc.
I felt like I was in a prison or boarding school.

In the morning, I had to depart to go the airport to fly to Auckland early. I had told the owner this when I first arrived and left my luggage. I shared that I would like breakfast (it IS a B&B), but unfortunately, the breakfast wasn't going to be served until 8:00 AM. An exception couldn't be made? I was told that a "cold tray" could be brought "down" to my area... Where might I eat in that room? There was not even a table in the kitchenette area...

When reading their binder of facts about the property, it mentioned that there was a $17.00 fee for cold breakfasts, and a $24 fee for hot breakfasts. Since when did a B & B charge extra for breakfasts? Didn't matter, no food was delivered to me. No human being appeared while I waited in the rain outside for the taxi cab. I tried to get into the manor house when I came up to the main level, but it was locked tighter than a drum. I couldn't get in to sit down and wait at 7:15 AM.

The owner never came out to give me breakfast or say goodbye.

I never saw anyone pretty much after I left my luggage the afternoon before.

THIS is a luxury B& B? I think not.

It was cold, unwelcoming, uncomfortable, HORRIBLE.
The worst place I have stayed in decades.

Can you tell I'm furious!?

Also, a place I would definitely not recommend.

And, it wasn't cheap.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Warwick House in Nelson!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank daltes
NickFerrier, Manager at Warwick House, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Guest, We have assessed your feedback so we can continue to provide our guests with a valued experience in Nelson. Warwick House has been operating for over 10 years and hosted over 12.000 guests from 45 different countries during this period.
It was unfortunate that immediately after your arrival here you decided to go straight to the airport to return your rental car without giving my wife, Jenny the chance to discuss your plans in more detail. All your bags were taken from the carpark and placed in your room for you.
To state that the property is not central is simply incorrect. – It is situated just 5-10 minutes riverside walk or 2 minutes drive from central Nelson (less than 1km). The airport is only 6 minutes drive away
Your chosen room - We would suggest when booking through a travel agent it is advisable to check that the room description suits your needs. You had booked the smallest and cheapest room for 1 night - without breakfast.($ 129-NZ including 15% local tax) . A room upgrade is an option, however, you chose not to request this.
When you rang the ring at 5.30pm the duty manager was there and came to the room to help you find your way around. This was another opportunity for you to change to a large room if you had really wanted to do so.
There are clear signs showing the location of the attendance bell and 24 hour contact nos. on a clear sign board. There are a large no. of night time and sensor lights, lighting up all the main areas of the property. There were several other guests also staying at this time.
As you were departing the following morning at 6.45 am, we booked you a taxi and discussed breakfast options with you. You said you had booked without breakfast because of your early departure and would eat at the airport. If you changed your mind you could have contacted us on our free call number. For guests who book ‘room only’ Continental breakfast is available for $15 or full cooked breakfast for $24,-.
In room signage – Warwick House has been Qualmark nationally rated for 8 years – an important part of all modern hospitality ratings is the focus of properties towards sustainability and the avoiding of unnecessary wastage on a daily basis.
hong kong
Reviewed 16 April 2014

thanks again for making my brief stay enjoyable. cosy and clean with a bit of luxury. nelson is getting more and more interesting and appreciate the advice on food and craft beer. see you again next year if i don't come and love here!

Room Tip: give them a call so they can book a room suitable for your needs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

A cute little B&B with history! We enjoyed our stay at this historic home. Comfortable and charming, nestled in a quiet little neighborhood in Nelson. Close enough to be convenient but far enough to feel a world away from the hustle and bustle of the cities center!

Stayed April 2014
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights while visiting Nelson. Stayed in the lower rooms which have kitchen access. Nicely renovated in Victorian style. The continental breakfast was adequate but went to a cafe on the second day. Friends had recommended WH but had stayed in the upper rooms which appear to have more light and views.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family