“Would stay again and already did”

Palazzo Motor Lodge
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

On our family's way to/from Abel Tasman National Park we stayed overnight in both directions. It's what you'd expect from such a highly rated TripAdvisor property - clean, quiet, updated and in a super convenient location (few minute walk from the restaurants/shops in Nelson). What makes this place superior is the friendly assistance from Kira. She is knowledgable and helpful, made us feel right at home with a friendly attitude that made for two super great stays. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My girlfriend and I spent two nights at the Palazzo motor lodge at the beginning of December this year. This was a second stay for me as I had also stayed in August 2008, safe to say that the excellent standards have continued! The owner / hostess Kiara is an energetic and helpful lady, it was nice that she had remembered me from my previous visit. The room we stayed in was very luxurious with a full kitchen, breakfast bar, and spa bath just some of the nicer details! The bed itself was fantastic, a modern matress not like some of the obviously cheaper ones you can get in other places. Breakfast options are many and the full cooked breakfast hit the spot perfectly! The rooms were spotless and the small details like the anti-fog glass cleaner used on the mirror was a memorable little touch. The personal advice from Kiara to visit Hopgoods restaurant for dinner resulted in our best dinner experience of our entire trip. I understand why it is her favourite place to eat out in town....great hosts and a very enjoyable stay here and we would be sure to return some day!

Room Tip: If you want to make yourself lunches etc choose the room with kitchenette, best we've had!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed 2 weeks driving around the South Island in November. First stop was Nelson for 2 nights staying at Palazzo. It was the best out of all our accommodation - highly recommended with a nice large room and excellent kitchen. Only downside was view over car sales lot, but hey you are in a "city' so didn't really matter. Keira the owner was very helpful and friendly ( as all New Zealanders are! She recommended Hopgoods for dinner, a 3 minute walk away, which was excellent. She also gave good advice on getting the most out of our day trip to Abel Tasman. I highly recommend Palazzo!.

Room Tip: Although no view, this is compensated by excellent central location to shops and restaurants.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Having stayed in the Palazzo the three times I have visited Nelson I cant imagine staying anywhere else when visiting.
The quality of the rooms is second to none and the service is of the highest level.
Having worked in tourism for years I learnt a lot from watching Kiara and her team dealing with customers.
Kiara really goes out of her way and works above and beyond the call of duty to ensure every guests stay is special.
I could not recommend a stay in the Palazzo any more.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked 4 nights, but the suite was so nice and the team so helpful that we stayed an extra day. The location is a great base for visits to Kaiteriteri and Able Tasman, and only a short walk to the restaurants and shops, but still very quiet. The room (an upgrade!) was clean and well designed - and each day we came back to a room that looked as if we were the first guests to stay there!

We've noticed that "Excellent" recommendations are (deservedly) quite common in NZ - and that's nice to see, but makes it hard to spot the really standout places to stay.

I'll be sticking to 4* ratings for good hotels in future - but this is a lovely hotel with exceptional customer service, so it has to be a 5* from us!

Room Tip: Suggest calling Kiara direct to discuss rooms and any questions - she's super helpful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is an unexpected surprise. I only booked it online moments before we arrived. I didn't mention that I had a toddler with us when I booked as we had our own travel cot. We had initially booked a 1 bedroom spa room however when we arrived, the amazing Kiara was not content with our accommodation. She (with out even thinking about it) upgraded us to the Presidential Suite so we would have more space for our baby to play in and for us to relax. WOW!! The room was impeccable. The cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. Kiara's warm and friendly hospitality is second to none. With in minutes, she was recommending restaurants, activities and kindly gave me a handful of complimentary DVD's to keep my daughter entertained. They have complimentary bikes for guests to ride and a small library of DVD's which are also complimentary. After showing me the laundry facilities, she practically did my washing for me and then delivered it back to my room. Our room was made (and tidied) every day. When we left, she came to our door as we were packing to say goodbye and wish us well on our way. The personal touch that she gives only enhances an already perfect experience. We will definitely be staying there again and can not recommend it enough. I work in the hospitality industry and have yet to see anyone match this level of service.. Warm, friendly, professional. Excellent!!! Don't give it another thought. BOOK THIS PLACE HOTEL IMMEDIATELY !!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Kiara & Bob have done it again. Fantastic experience for a second time. Room immaculate, staff very friendly and helpful. Kiarra & Bob made you feel like a star, always very eager to help. Will definately be back when we visit Nelson.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo