“Tranquil Oasis”

Joya Garden & Villa Studios
Ranked #5 of 55 Nelson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Luckily I was upgraded to the Garden Studio as a friend joined for one night... such a gorgeous self contained Studio with its own deck for catching the afternoon sun.. it was a great place for relaxing and replenishing the soul each day after the busyness of conference, wish I could have stayed longer... might just have to come back, thanks Paulina.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
paulina2009, Owner at Joya Garden & Villa Studios, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay Megan. And I can well imagine it was nice to have the cottage to yourselves for the occasion. Hope to meet you again. Nelson has a lot to offer, as you have noticed. Regards,
Paulina

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed here last week in the room called The Den which is located inside the beautiful, spotless villa. The hostess Paulina was extremely likable, exceptionally helpful and provided a delicious whole food breakfast which I miss now I'm back home. The self-contained studio apartments are surrounded by a lovely trickling pond and roaming garden that brings a sense of serenity and comfort. It's only a ten minute walk into town with a great view of the sea and surrounding hills. I am definitely coming back here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for these kind words. Hope to meet you again some time soon.
Best regards, Paulina

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Conveniently located in Nelson, the house is charming with generously-sized rooms. More basic than most places we stayed, with no en suite or blow dryer, there is a lovely view from the little porch which contained a fridge and hot pot for boiling water. Paulina makes delicious granola to go with fruit, her freshly made bread, and yogurt. She makes lovely teas and will cook a hot breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
paulina2009, Owner at Joya Garden & Villa Studios, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Kia Ora and thank you for your review, my first with a three star rating!
I won't immediately say 'hooray' to this fact, of course. ☺ . However, all reviews serve a valuable purpose to both parties. Any potential guest need to know what to expect, and for me as Joya’s host, it’s important to see whether improvements can be made. So I looked at your ratings and texts a bit more closely. I am glad the house itself and its location was appreciated as was the food. You were also positive with regards to the size of your room.

Starting with the easiest, the hairdryer: I remember we went to fetch it for you from the shared bathroom. Cannot image that to have been an issue but I have remedied that and there is one in each room now. I am a bit puzzled by by what ‘basic’ means to you.
Wondered whether perhaps the oriental style of the furniture may have been too different from what you expected.
Or was it the lack of a private bathroom that did it? I can very well relate to that as something really important.
The two studios have their own private entrance, kitchen facilities and ensuite. The accommodation you chose, the villa room doesn’t. There is nothing I can do to change that, but this is certainly important to know for anyone weighing their options.
Best regards, Paulina

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We initially booked the villa room but were upgraded to the garden studio on arrival. Thanks Paulina you made my partner happy to have an en-suite, after the last place we stayed at promised us a en-suite in the booking but only could provide a share bathroom a long way from the bedroom. We were very impressed with the home & landscaping design of the garden studio in which we found inspiring. Great place to stay would have liked to stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
paulina2009, Owner at Joya Garden & Villa Studios, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Kia Ora,

Thank you for your review. Hope that you keep me posted with regards to the implimentation of some of the things we talked about regarding the use of Feng Shui principles .
I sincerly enjoyed the exchange and wish you well. Regards, Pauina

Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed four nights in the Villa Studio with our toddler and baby. Although open plan, there was loads of space for us all to sleep and spread out (including an enormous double bed!), and the outside area was perfect for us to relax in once the children were in bed. Paulina couldn't have been more helpful, bringing us books and toys to keep our son amused, and configuring the room with our best interests in mind. Just a small consideration if staying with young children and you are unable to get out in the evening - the kitchen area is fine for making breakfast but not really best suited to preparing evening meals. No problem for us - we just ate out earlier with the kids or got takeaway! We had a lovely, relaxing stay, in beautiful surroundings, and left feeling much refreshed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
paulina2009, Owner at Joya Garden & Villa Studios, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Kia Ora!
Thank you for these kind words.
I am glad you had a good time.

Travelling with a baby and toddler isn't the easiest undertaking. It is good you managed so well, and not just here at Joya. With regards to the kitchen facilities, I think it is indeed good advice that those who really want to do some more elaborate home-cooking, it is better to choose for the Garden Studio, since the kitchen is bigger there. The villa studio does have an electric wok and three hotplates, but working space and storage is limited. So thanks for mentioning this.
And thanks for this contribution to Joya's good ratings.. Much appreciated! Paulina

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed in an apartment in the rear garden, it really was quite delightful with the sound of water to send you off to sleep. You may need some insect repellant as there is a lot of water around the front door, not perhaps a place for a toddler.
Owner is great giving us some good suggestions on where to go in our time in Nelson.
Breakfast is very natural with most of the food home made, which my wife enjoyed perhaps more than myself, however you could eat as much as you wanted too.
Wifi worked better up in the main house than in our apartment even with the boaster kit.
Overall it's a good place to stay and value for money

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings! And thank you for this kind contribution.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfasts , even though the food offered may have been a bit different :)
With regards to the water features and the pond. I specifically had those made with my little guests/clients in mind. With regards to musquitoes: no worries, the water is recyclied between the two ponds. And the fish who live in the pond feed on whatever larvae that might still find a way to hatch. We really rarely see, hear or worse feel them.. Still it's good to realize though that there is pond on the other side of the deck to the Garden Studio.. Even though it is shallow - 40 cm - there are risks. So, your contribution in that respect is certainly valuable. I am glad you enjoyed your time at the WOW and Rabbit Island. Enjoy the remainder of this journey and come home safely.
Ciao, Paulina

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Paulina let us stay in her garden studio which was separate from the house and in the attractively designed terraced garden with a pond surrounded by lush vegetation and fed from a stream. The studio was well appointed and comfortable with its own kitchen facilities. Breakfast was in the main house also with a fine view down the garden. To describe it as comprehensive would be an understatement. It was carefully prepared by Paulina and was delicious with very good, healthy and often home produced food. Joya Gardens is in an older and interesting residential part of the town the centre of which can be easily reached on foot.

Room Tip: Ignore pool and fitness centre ratings. Touched in error. They don't exist!