“Amazing views!”
Review of Parautane Lodge

Parautane Lodge
Ranked #21 of 55 Nelson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Found a deal on Grabone & I am so glad we got it. The drive up the hill is a bit rough, but our little car made it no bother. Didn't drive back in the dark though. The rooms are of a high standard, the bed was really comfortable and having that view to wake up to every morning was perfect! The breakfast was really tasty too. & the afternoon cookies were soo good! I enjoyed sitting on the terrace, looking out at the world. It was very peaceful. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Parautane Lodge

Reviewed 19 December 2012

This is a great place to have a break and just relax. I had time to read the Guest book for the past seven years and did not find one complaint in any of them. Just consistent praise for the outstanding views, the hospitality and care and concern shown by all the staff, superb breakfasts, and not forgetting the spa. We had a lovely stay here and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Our 3 days spent at Parautane Lodge were wonderful. The owners weren't there but we were left in very capable hands. The Lodge itself is, as other reviewers have pointed out, up a fairly steep gravel road, our little Honda Jazz manged it well though. Don't be put off by the road - the views from the lodge are definitely worth it! The room was clean, felt homely but luxurious, and had a marvelous view out to sea. The bathroom was nice and modern, clean and had a nice roomy, powerful shower! The hot tub was well worth a visit - watching the stars with a glass of local wine. The breakfasts were lovely too, just what you need to prepare for a day of exploration! Takes about 10 mins to get into Nelson by car from the lodge. We drove to farewell spit from there and with a few stops etc. that was an all day trip, but easily done from the lodge.

Only regret was that I forgot to write what a great time we'd had there in their guest book but forgot! Tripadvisor review will have to do!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Parautane lodge was a great surprise in our trip trough South island. The view is amazing, the room is clean, confortable, the shower is great, breakfast delicius, the Hot pool offers an amazing view. Dont miss this charming place and dont trust any bad review, I almost did it and if so, i would have missed our best stay in New Zealand. This is an unforgettable place!

Room Tip: Koru is perfect if you want to see the sea from your bed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is not close to anything. Its way out in the sticks. If you like that sort of thing this will appeal to you. But I feel there are lots of accommodation choices close to the beach that offer lots more. I didnt like the drive at all. My wife hated it so much that we cut our dinner short to get back in the daylight. It is luxurious, but little things made it not. Like the owners kids who left toys around and were kids. And they have every right to, but we just came to get away from screaming kids. It is very expensive. I suggest you look around. I felt the standard of cleaning poor, and notice this has been commented by others. If you want views there are lots of other hills with better access in Nelson and close to the markets, and restaurants. Sorry I took so long to comment, just got around to it now.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Alan D, Owner at Parautane Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

I'm sorry this guest didn't enjoy their stay. As for being out in the sticks, my wife and I often drive into the centre of Nelson and it takes us 10 minutes. I allow for the fact that I do this all the time and tell my guests it takes 12-15 minutes. The last 1.5 km is up a steeper gravel road, which most guests find after their second time up, not an issue at all. I'm very sorry this guest was trying to get away from screaming kids, but both Zach, aged 7, and Ben, aged 5, understand that when guests are here, they are not to be making excessive noise. I do my very best to keep kids toys out of the guests area and I can only think that there is one room that looks onto the kids sandpit, where the toys may have been a bit messy. If these guests had discussed their dissatisfaction with the lodge, I would have been more than happy to find some other accommodation more suitable for their needs. It is a little hard to accommodate these guests dissatisfaction when I hear about it eight months later.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

My husband (Macesta) and I just spent 3 days in Nelson and I am so glad that he found Parautane Lodge. We had a lovely, relaxing stay in, for me, high luxury. While the drive up to the lodge is a bit steep the thrill of the view is well worth it. The view from the car park is amazing and does not diminish once you walk down to the lodge itself. Our room was lovely - and as my husband pointed out - Heated Floors in the bathroom! We spent our down time looking out the window at the amazing views of the ocean and mountains beyond. If it had been warmer we would have been able to sit outside on our private balcony.
The lodge is located outside of Nelson proper, but not too far away from all the attractions and restaurants. The hot tub, slightly down below the lodge itself, feels like one is a thousand kilometers away from the rest of the world. We greatly enjoyed watching the birds and the surrounding nature.
Overall - a great place. We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: I think any room there would be great!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My wife and I used the lodge as a base to explore and enjoy the area. Every night we looked forward to returning to the lodge and enjoying sunsets from the hot tub. Some of the best views in the world. Nice rooms, but wait... heated floors in the bathroom. Grrrreat feeling. A complimentary bottle of wine sealed the deal. Will be back when we are again in Nelson.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple