“Beautiful Place - But Check about WIFI” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Titore Lodge

Titore Lodge
Ranked #10 of 21 Russell B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Beautiful Place - But Check about WIFI”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We called an hour before we arrived to let the owner know we were running late. The owner had no record of the booking despite the emails we had from her and the telecom from my husband confirming that wifi was available in the rooms. The owner said to come anyway as she had all rooms available. The next issue was the price, we had booked at the lower published rate of $375, but she started saying $540!! Anyway she agreed to honour the lower rate when we showed her the website. We arrived and the owner was very nice and apologetic and gave us a welcome cup of tea. Her cleaner popped by and then a discussion proceeded about whether the cleaner would come in and clean and make breakfast the following day, she was saying she couldn't, so we were saying no problem we could help ourselves, all a bit awkward. The rooms and the whole property is beautiful and very well maintained. However as we quickly discovered the wifi didn’t work at all. At first the owner said it just wouldn’t work in the room that she’d put us in, but to come up and use the lounge whenever we wanted to go on line. I explained that most of our online work would be between 2100 and 2400 as we had business to deal with in both Singapore and UK. I spent an hour trying to see why her wifi wasn’t working, eventually gave up and went down to our room. Unfortunately as I stepped onto the wet and as I found out slippery decking outside the room, I fell and whilst saving myself my laptop flew and yes to add injury to insult the screen no longer works properly – enough to work but a 2 inch black bar in the middle. The owner did say she would understand if we wanted to switch accommodation because of the lack of wifi. Not happy at all. Went out for a lovely dinner and de stressed with some great wine. Following morning the owner was still unable to get the wifi working and did offer me her office any time up to 6pm. She made us a nice breakfast and was very informative about the area. However we decided having checked in the local town to move to somewhere that could give us a good room and access to the internet in our room! I can highly recommend the Duke of Marlborough Hotel where the internet works and the rooms are lovely and we overlook the bay. We left a note and cash for the one night and sent the owner a text to tell her we had decided to check out. I am sure when the season is up and running, the place would be perfect as the rooms and views are fabulous, but we were the first and obviously unexpected.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank JLH-Singapore

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at Titore Lodge and loved every part of the experience. Exquisite room (and bathroom) with wonderful views, terrific breakfasts, great hiking recommendations and dining suggestions. We also loved the Bay of Islands, despite the "Weather Bomb" that occurred the day before we arrived. Thank you Carolyn for sharing your home with us. It began a wonderful NZ honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
Conover, NC USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2008

My wife and I spend a lovely three days in early February with Carolyn at Titore Lodge in the quaint town of Russell. Titore sits on a hill which overlooks the village. What a beautiful site from the balcony of her three bedroom Bed and Breakfast!

Unlike many B&B hosts, Carolyn enjoys mingling with her guest and sharing stories. It’s pretty difficult to top her tales as she has sailed solo around the world, hiked the Appalachian trail and ridden horseback from Canada to Mexico. She joined us when we arrived and helped with planning dinner and activities while in the Northland. I would definitely recommend guest ask her about a day long sail excursion on the “Phantom”

The accommodations were exquisite and breakfast delicious. I wholeheartedly recommend you stay at Titore and guarantee you’ll have stories to tell after you do!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Russell
Duke of Marlborough Hotel
#1 of 44 in Paihia
The Clendon
The Clendon
#8 of 21 in Russell

Been to Titore Lodge? Share your experiences!