“Anniversary dinner”

Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Russell
Price range: US$13 - US$36
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located right on the waterfront in Russell. Serving up delectable delights for lunch and dinner the Duke of Marlborough Restaurant is at the heart of this historical hotel. The menu showcases locally sourced seasonal produce, presenting a new take on classic favourites. Dine inside, on the terrace or in the garden.
Reviewed 13 December 2013

All I can say is fantastic evening!! Couldn't have asked for a more wonderful evening. We had a lamb dish that apparently the restaurant is known for and after a gorgeous meal and wine walked home to our holiday cottage.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,480)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I stopped here for lunch after a magnificent cruise through the Bay of Island to Hole in the Wall Island. It was a bright sunny day and we got a perfect table by the shoreside. We ate a delicious lunch of Buillabaise and Seared Tuna with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc served by a delightful waitress from Hamburg. What a perfect setting but then wham, bang, kerrang the workmen moved in to change the blinds. One poor couple were made to move away and we had clatter, electric sawing and all sorts in our faces. I spoke to the restaurant manager who didn't even know the workmen were coming but she apologised that our perfect lunchtime meal was ruined. Can you believe the sheer arrogance of the senior management at this establishment that schedule workmen in the middle of the lunchtime service?

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We dine here on all our three nights in Russell and had great food and dinning on the deck looking out over the Russell Bay and moorings was a joy. This was added to on the third night by wonderful live background music by a guy with a great voice. The waiting staff were also friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Bearing in mind my opinion of the food in this country has been totally positive, this location really pushed the boat out to take me to greater superlatives!
We had tried on Saturday to eat there but there was not a spare seat to be had, so we ate at a neighbouring restaurant which was fine. We made the ferry ride from Pahia again on Sunday and I am so glad we did.
Our waitress was full of cheerful enthusiasm for the food on offer and her interaction with the visitors. She made everything sound so good that we all went through starters, mains and dessert, despite saying how full or satisfied we felt at each stage.
The oysters were just wonderful-so so good. My rack of lamb was bliss, so tasty and tender. The table behind had ordered the t-bone for two and I have no idea how they cleared as much of it as they did!!!! I need to go back again and try that one for myself!
Dessert was a kind of a mousse au chocolat cake with peanut ice cream and fresh fruit...... more heaven.
We took the ferry back in contented silence apart from to agree that we had enjoyed a wonderful fun and culinary experience! Thanks, Duke!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Can't fault the location and no doubt this adds to the prices. But by no means 'fine dining'. Food was ok. One of us had salt and pepper squid which was lacking in salt n pepper. Squid was well cooked though. Fish n chips was a little light on fish but chips ok. I had fettuccine which was nice and but again seemed to lack a flavour. Service is a little confusing as we were served by four people so I think they have forgotten who had been where, or assumed someone else had done the job already. Noticed another table took awhile to be attended to as well. No water offered either and the question of ' how was your meal' a little insincere. Perfectly adequate.

1  Thank Frith J