“Luxury Get Away”
Review of Eagles Nest

Eagles Nest
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A beautiful spot with fantastic accommodation options. We stayed in the two storey house and loved waking up to the magnificent views from our bed...even with the wet weather it was very romantic.
The outdoor fire is perfect to cuddle up in front of with a glass of wine.
Great service in that there was no one staying in the other house so we were able to use the outdoor pool and spa area - very cool for swimming in at night with the night lighting.

Room Tip: Depending on what you want - we visited the bigger house next door which had an outdoor pool and tha...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelLoverNZx

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've only read about it in the luxury travel magazine and I've never thought I would have the luck to spend a night at there. Eagle Nest is just so far away yet close to me. Until last Friday, I spent the very special moment at this very special place for 3 nights, we made the most of it at this loft style villa, healthy cute breakfast prepared by ourselves (complimentary provided by the resort) and shared with the native bird songs in a sunny morning..many glasses of champagne next to the fireplace with laughter..

This place is luxury in every aspect and you feel every penny you spent on this journey is totally worthy. You are in touched with the nature in every corner of the villa, from the bathroom, kitchen, hot tub, bedroom and its roof; yet you have all your privacy that you can walk naked freely around the villa. Every facility you can or have not thought about yet, they provide to you without any asking..

Just get spoiled till rotten, in this nest; and feel proud like an eagle when you take off..

Room Tip: They have winter special, stay 3 nights and pay for 2 nights only, for such high end pricing and qua...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whaticare
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This is an exceptional place - a true retreat from the world -- very secluded andluxurious though totally in touch with nature. With amazing views of the ocean and the hills around. Though quite expensive, we were given a discounted rate as it was the low season. Kelly made every effort to supply us with vegan and vegetarian breakfast options and went way beyond what we expected in stocking the house with coffees, juices, breads, cheese, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables, yogurt, milk, soyamilk, etc. She arranged for us to go sailing on a nice small sailboat with an expert sailor -- at a reasonable cost. There was an outstanding outdoor jacuzzi that we used every day. The furnishings were totally designer and first class - the sofa, dining table, kitchen appliances etc. We felt we were at home in a kind of dreamland. The fact that all the walls were glass gave us the feeling we were in nature. We like our bed to be firm and this was soft, but that was soon corrected as they switched the bed with another house. We ate all our meals at the house, as we enjoy cooking and it was a real pleasure here. Russell is a kind of cute town and we went for walkarounds a couple of times. Most of the time we spent at the house just relaxing -- which was just what we needed.

Room Tip: Ours was the one-bedroom "First Light" house -- it was great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mirabai c
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I spent my Easter long weekend this year in Russell, New Zealand and we stayed at Eagles Nest. The folks who run it and look after it were absolutely wonderful, we arrived a bit late the drive from Auckland was much longer than we anticipated but they were still in reception waiting for us. Waking up and look out the window was certainly the best thing about the entire trip. Eagles Nest is situation is a perfect place and maximises the view and the seclusion. I honestly can't wait until I go back there. Upon arrival they had complimentary breakfast goods, including bread, cereal, milk, juice and bacon and a large selection of other food stuffs available for purchase (including a stunning Rose wine). In general the place is well kept, we had a private pool and jacuzzi just for our house which was just what the doctor order.

I will suggest this to anyone and everyone who is going to Russell and wants someone wonderful to stay. It made our experience so much better.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elli C
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We arrived to celebrate our wedding anniversary to be greeted with Louis Roederer champagne on ice and a beautiful Bay of Islands on view in late afternoon sunshine.Instantly we were in relax mode and enjoying ourselves. A lovely swim followed. We were driven down to Russell for a lovely dinner at the Gables. The following morning we woke to dolphins swimming in the Bay. We loved the self catering breakfast with a mass of healthy choices. Eagles Spirit was very well appointed and is a lovely design. The gardens add a magic touch. It really is a fabulous treat location with everything you could possibly want . We had the greatest time and look forward to another visit soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The bay of islands seems to attract an amazing selection of quality places to either stay or play at.....I have stayed at a few nice places, but this place ranks up there with the best. I arrived fairly late in the evening after the long drive from Auckland, so I can't say I thought too much about the views! My hosts picked me up and after a quick dinner I was back exploring the allocated house for the night..........oh lots of cool details I thought........as I dozed off my thoughts were on the business of tomorrow....well those thoughts went out the window as I awoke looking out at the stunning views over the bay of islands, I just sat there looking around, smiling at the views, and of course took a few pictures......but even the picture could not do justice to what I was seeing! Oh well time to explore I thought.....on with the jogging gear and after a good 30 min up and down the hills I swam in the lap pool and then enjoyed the delivered breakfast, still admiring the various views and the stunning villa....the daylight had brought out the best of details and wow were they cool! The kitchen, lounge room and toys were just brilliant......oh well I suppose I have to do some work......as I drove away, my head turned around and said "see you later little villa, back soon for more gazing".........the only issue was that my wife was not there, but those arrangements were well under way, as she would love the place, like I am sure most visitors, but do yourself a favor.......stay a few nights or 7.......make it your second home, then again you might get sad when you get to your real home...its that good!

Room Tip: Some villa's have pools and a few are perfect for a small family....the young ones will love it...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank JohnTGN
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I've traveled a lot, and stayed in some wonderful hotels, but Eagles Nest was truly one of the most amazing accommodations I have experienced. The setting was completely private, the grounds were impeccable, the views of the Bay of Islands stunning, and the villa itself was gorgeous. I loved the gourmet self-serve in-room breakfasts, complete with espresso maker, a bounty of fresh fruit, and fresh bread daily. We swam in the endless pool right off the deck after a day in the sun, and warmed up in the jacuzzi after a thrilling jet ski ride in the bay. Callum and William were friendly, knowledgeable and always willing to help us with transportation or planning an activity. If you can afford the cost, Eagles Nest is a winner! The only downsides to consider are that there is no spa, exercise room or restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Michele J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Russell
Hananui Lodge Motel
#4 of 8 in Russell
Duke Motel
Duke Motel
#3 of 8 in Russell

Been to Eagles Nest? Share your experiences!