We had such a lovely time at the Duke that we decided next time we would go for a room upgrade. We stayed in the house, in a room at the back. The bed was small but comfortable, the room was a bit cramped and so was the bathroom. What made our visit special wasn't the room, it was the great staff, historical feel of this remarkable old hotel, the waterfront location, access to the wharf and the fantastic restaurant. We loved the massive fig tree out front and overall small town feel of the community of Russell. We enjoyed perfect weather and got out before the cyclone. If you have time, walk around the town and hike up to Flagstaff Hill at dusk. Listen for kiwi! We heard them, but didn't catch a glimpse. Also, have dinner on the porch at the Duke. Very good wine list. And the food was perfect. We especially loved the Hapuka fish, the green lip mussels and tuna tartare. Check out the chef's specials from 3pm to 5pm. We got a great deal on a platter of meats, terrines and cheeses. Good wi-fi reception.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Duke of Marlborough has been Refreshing Rascals and Reprobates since 1827 and holds New Zealand’s first liquor license. The Duke, as it is affectionately known is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of Russell in the stunning Bay of Islands and is a great place to recharge the batteries, catch up with friends or simply enjoy the moment. With easy access to an exciting array of activities or sipping a glass of wine on our balcony there is plenty to see or do. There are three levels of accommodation our waterfront rooms with views across the water to Waitangi Treaty grounds and Paihia, bigger family rooms when you need extra space or our convenient standard rooms. All rooms have their own en-suites, Sky TV, wifi accessibility and tea and coffee making facilities. With an award winning chef and restaurant manager the restaurant at The Duke focuses on a menu packed with fresh seasonal Northland produce. The bar has an extensive list of New Zealand wines and beers – something for everyone to enjoy while watching the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Duke of Marlborough Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duke Of Marlborough Russell
- Duke Of Marlborough Hotel Russell, New Zealand - Bay Of Islands