My wife and I stayed just 1 night at the Duke for our wedding anniversary. We are locals in the area and send people all the time to the Duke for dinner and lunches...as have we in the past..and this time we treated ourselves to an overnight stay.
Outstanding...both in value and comfort.
We had dinner ( with no desert) and portion sizes and tastings of dishes superb.
Excellent service from well versed staff who knew the dishes
Continental breakfast was of a high standard as well..Crumpets and 3 different breads, hard boiled eggs, salami, ham and cheese, bowl of feshly cut fruit and 2 tnned fruits, PLUNGER COFFEE!!!! Great touch and a choice of several teas. Really an excellent lay out of choices
Free wifi is a must these days..so thanks for that
Free parking on hotel grounds down the side and around the back.
We were not in time to book a seafront view room but were absolutely happy with what we had...down the side of the building with a glimpse of the sea. My only...observation... ( not a criticism!) would be that the room looked a little bland / sterile..painted white walls with no local art. The bed is a very very comfortable queen , triple sheeted in crisp white sheets. Keep up the great work Dukies!!..will continue to recommend you as Russell is such a great destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Duke of Marlborough has been Refreshing Rascals and Reprobates since 1827 and holds New Zealand’s first liquor license. The Duke, as it is affectionately known is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of Russell in the stunning Bay of Islands and is a great place to recharge the batteries, catch up with friends or simply enjoy the moment. With easy access to an exciting array of activities or sipping a glass of wine on our balcony there is plenty to see or do. There are three levels of accommodation our waterfront rooms with views across the water to Waitangi Treaty grounds and Paihia, bigger family rooms when you need extra space or our convenient standard rooms. All rooms have their own en-suites, Sky TV, wifi accessibility and tea and coffee making facilities. With an award winning chef and restaurant manager the restaurant at The Duke focuses on a menu packed with fresh seasonal Northland produce. The bar has an extensive list of New Zealand wines and beers – something for everyone to enjoy while watching the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Duke of Marlborough Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Duke Of Marlborough Russell
- Duke Of Marlborough Hotel Russell, New Zealand - Bay Of Islands