“Take a Look”

Just Imagine Gallery
Ranked #13 of 28 things to do in Russell
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Gorgeous Art Gallery in the historically beautiful town of Russell in the North Island of NZ.
A little pricy for my pockets but certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We have been fortunate to "stumble" into without a doubt the best gallery I have ever seen. Having traveled extensively over most of the world, my wife and I look for "Local" art from the places we visit to bring home and recall our ventures. Just Imagine is without a doubt a must stop for those looking for the best of the best of local artists. The variety of art is incredible which includes everything from unique beautiful jewelry to wearable art. Of course they also have the style of art one would expect to see in a "normal" gallery only I have never seen anything that compares with the level of what they show - anywhere. The staff is very gracious and giving of their time, I ask a lot of questions and they took the time to explain everything about the art and artist, including an offer to introduce us to the artist. There is no such thing as customer service anywhere, particularly at Just Imagine - because Just Imagine redefined it as "Family Service". That is how they make you feel from the first hello when you walk in. Just an amazing experience. We have purchased paintings, jewelry, glass art (always gets comments) and carvings from our friends at Just Imagine. We don't travel to New Zealand very often because we live in North Carolina, USA but you can be sure that when we do we stop in say Hi and have a cup of coffee. Oh, one more thing - my daughter was asking about the sail boats in the harbor, the owner of Just Imagine helped us make arangements with a local company to take our family on a day sail. What retailer does that?

2  Thank Andrew A
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I love Just Imagine. I've been there several times and always find something for everyone (but I mostly buy stuff for myself)!!! My fiancé surprised me with a trip to NZ since he knows I love it there, but he planned it for the south island only. I asked that we change our plans to include a trip north because I wanted to go here. He did rearrange the plans and tickets, and he loved every minute of it! Now JI is his destination too!

Last time I was there, I picked up a wrap and a jacket. It was winter time at home (summer in NZ), so I figured the wrap was perfect for inside restaurants. I ended up wearing it on the boat back to Pahia and out to Urapukapuka, because the wind was a little chilly.

I have the best memories when I wear the earrings I got there. They're blue, like the ocean. Their one of a kind art hangs on my walls at home and at my office. I have so much you'd think I lived next door! Sadly I don't, although I get tons of compliments.

The first time I was there, I stumbled in because it was chilly andI wanted to warm up. I fell in love instantly with their coffee and books. They seriously have the best coffee-table books. I stayed for hours, met the owner and her daughter, and had the best time. Every time I go back, I see them. They're amazing, actually all of the staff I've met there have been super warm, friendly and helpful! They know the origin of each piece, which they hand picked from around the world. I was surprised how much I learned simply by visiting Just Imagine.

This is a must-go on my list. I make it a point to visit Russell and the gallery each time I'm in NZ!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Pros- It's hard to imagine what could make the town of Russel more beautiful, but Just Imagine found the answer. I stopped by just to glimpse at the art, and ended up coming back with my wife to show her one of the best collections I've ever seen in one location. We've stopped by lots of other galleries and are always on the lookout for exceptional art, but the staff at Just Image really get it. The whole building is designed to showcase the art and the natural light, beautiful layout, and helpful staff really allow you to see the art,particularly the glass, as it was meant to be displayed. If you appreciate the play of light and glass and want to find truly exceptional art, this is the place to go. I was hoping to come back from New Zealand with some great memories, but you should see the glass fern and the painting now hanging on my wall. Great trip and perfect destination for unique, beautiful art.

Cons- Russell can be a little hard to get to, especially if you don't know it's there, but it's well worth the trip. We took the ferry from Pahia.There is a cost to ride the ferry and it takes about 10 minutes each way, but it was well worth the trip. We managed to get away from the busy crowds and felt like we discovered a secret hideaway. The town is exactly what we hoped for when visiting New Zealand. Quaint, Quite, Beautiful and very genuine. A short walk takes you to Longs Beach (Beautiful!) and there are lots of good spots to eat. For those who want to find the exceptional in the world, this is a great spot.

1  Thank Ian H
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Possibly the best kept secret in the South Pacific, this gallery was recognized by Lonely Planet.

The owners and staff are incredibly knowledgeable about the artists and each piece. They are always happy to help and even get you a coffee. More than a gallery, Just Imagine is my first stop in NZ!!

It's well worth the trip to lovely Russle, which is nestled in the Bay of Islands off the North Island.

Take your time to look at each piece. From jewelry to art glass, sculptures, fiber art and wood sculpture to paintings and clothing, they have a reading nook and excellent coffee.

One of a kind pieces from all over the world! Do not miss Just Imagine!!!